Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this small round buried about 5- inches deep on some land near my house that's been inhabited since the early 1800's.

• Extremely light: 1.6 grams/25 grains
  • Width ~.22 inches/5.7 mm
  • Flattened if you look at it from the side
  • Found near another similarly sized bullet (last picture) that is a little heavier (2 grams).

Mostly just interested in a rough estimate of age to help figure out the history of the land. Sorry the pics are so blurry but these things are really small.

Thanks in advance!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this small round buried about 5- inches deep on some land near my house that's been inhabited since the early 1800's.

• Extremely light: 1.6 grams/25 grains
  • Width ~.22 inches/5.7 mm
  • Flattened if you look at it from the side
  • Found near another similarly sized bullet (last picture) that is a little heavier (2 grams).

Mostly just interested in a rough estimate of age to help figure out the history of the land. Sorry the pics are so blurry but these things are really small.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 2041051

View attachment 2041052

View attachment 2041053

View attachment 2041056
It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears that the the bullets shown are of the "heeled" type - that is to say that they are slightly smaller in diameter at the base. This is typical of .22 rimfire bullets, and the diameter and weight you report are within a few grains / 100ths of an inch of the standard for the .22 short, which has been made from 1857 to the present.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears that the the bullets shown are of the "heeled" type - that is to say that they are slightly smaller in diameter at the base. This is typical of .22 rimfire bullets, and the diameter and weight you report are within a few grains / 100ths of an inch of the standard for the .22 short, which has been made from 1857 to the present.
Really appreciate that. Didn’t realize a 22 LR load was so light!

Sounds like you’re basically saying it’s gonna be pretty hard to tell close to how old it is bc it is so common?

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions