bunch of old paper currency?

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a lot of old paper currency (and coin, but ill stick to paper for this post) bunch of $1 bills with yellow and blue stamps, bunch of $2 bills with red stamp, and an old $5 bill. just going through some stuff and caught my curiosity if they might be worth anything. heres some photos, you may have to zoom in for the dates, but most if not all are from the early 1900s.
KIMG0351.JPG
KIMG0352.JPG
KIMG0353.JPG
KIMG0354.JPG
KIMG0355.JPG
KIMG0356.JPG
KIMG0357.JPG

i keep everything is protective plastic.

OP
OP
Kype

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone know what the difference is between the yellow stamp, blue stamp, and red stamp on the $2 bills?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yellow
Meaning, that the denomination of bank note was backed by the same amount in gold in the US treasury, and that you could exchange that certificate for the gold at a bank in the US.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Your brown seal Hawaii note: During World War II The United States issued special brown seal bills to be used in Hawaii in case Japan took over the islands. The idea was that this special money could be devalued if the Japanese gained access to it. Today most of the surviving examples were kept by servicemen serving in the area.
Don.....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yellow was gold standard era , blue was silver standard era, red was federal reserve if i remember correctly

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
Nice little collection the 2 notes that jump out would be the 1957 series 1$ silver certificates with the star at he beginning of the serial number. These would be worth 10 to possibly 100 x face value depending on CONDITION. Now seperate all of your series dates I think you have 1928, 1935 and 1957. Your 1935 series 1$ notes have a yellow seal but are redeemable in silver only as gold was illegal to own for the American public. Your 1957 series 1$ notes have a blue seal, they became known as silver certificates and were redeemable in silver. If you look under the portrait of Washington on either series you will read payable to the bearer on demand. On your 2$ notes you also have 2 different dates 1928 and 1953, above the portrait it says United States Note hence the red seal. The 5$ note is War time with brown seal so the enemy could not use them as another reader mentioned and you will notice above portrait it says Federal Reserve Note. It carries a slight premium all paper money is valued on CONDITION CONDITON CONDITION.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread