Buried Pirate Treasure on Roatan Island

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello,

? I hope you enjoy.

One of the first people to ever find buried treasure on Roatan was an archaeologist named Mitchell Hedges, who did a lot of exploring around the Bay Islands back in the 1920s and 30s. Mitchell Hedges lived on Roatan for seven years and he learned the island very well. He was one of the first people to ever explore the pirate ruins of Old Port Royal. Here can be seen to this day the ruins of a pirate fortress which was used by Henry Morgan along with many other notorious pirates who roamed the shores of the Island.

It is a fact that near these ruins Mitchell Hedges discovered four chests filled to the brim with gold bullion, which were reaped from the Spanish by the pirates of Roatan. As the story goes, Mitchell Hedges' friend, known as Doctor Ball, was walking around one of the nearby keys near old Port Royal with a compass in hand. Suddenly the compass started going mad, with the needle spinning around in all different directions. He signalled for Mitchell Hedges who at the time was out in his boat the Amigo just offshore. He told him about the compass's behaviour and the two of them decided that the only thing that would make the compass behave in such a way was a large amount of metal buried under the surface of the key. The two men wasted no time and started digging like mad; within minutes the two explorers had unearthed two large wooden chests loaded to the brim with golden doubloons.

They kept digging after their discovery in a fever of excitement and much to their surprise discovered two more treasure chests of equal size. They placed the chests back in the ground for later recovery and searched the rest of the island with the compass. They found nothing.

Several hours later after making the discovery word came to Mitchell Hedges from one of his crew of excavaters that his discovery had been reported to the police in Coxen Hole by one of the locals, who must have witnessed them digging up the key.

The crew member also informed Mitchell Hedges that according to the rumours the police were going to investigate the dig site tomorrow morning. With these rumours in mind Mitchell Hedges, his daughter Sammy Hedges and Doctor Ball decided that it would be best not take any chances. So wasting no time the three explorers recovered three of the four chests that night and loaded them onto the Amigo and quickly set sail across swelling seas to the town of Belize which was then the capital of British Honduras.

Mitchell Hedges anchored the Amigo 150 miles off the coast of a small key and headed into the mainland on the Amigos extra boat. He returned several hours later with some lumber from which the expedition made three new chests for their treasure and dumped the old crusty ones into the sea. They then headed back inland and booked passage on a steamer that was headed for New York, their treasure safely stored in the cargo hold of the ship with the label Maya artifacts across the sides.

When the three explorers arrived in New York Mitchell Hedges sold off his lost treasure for the sum of $6,000,000 US. He then headed back to England where he bought himself a castle in the English countryside. Here he began work on his biography, Danger My Ally. In his book there is no mention of this incident.

Besides finding pirate treasure on Roatan, Mitchell Hedges made several other discoveries which could be more important in the archaeological world then the discover of pirate treasure. One of Hedges' favourite places on the earth was the Island of Helena located at the very far end of Roatan Island. As I cruised out into the harbour on a small skiff that I had charted from the Reef House headed for the general direction of Helena I thought long and hard about these discoveries.

The only civilization to be found near Helena is a very ancient Grafuna settlement called St. Helena. Like its nearest neighbour Oakridge it is a town built on stilts. The buildings in the town are much more run down than Oakridge and the people are extremely poor. The natives there fish for a living, selling their fish for a few lempurias at the markets in Oakridge on Sunday.

On our way to the other side of Helena, we saw several local kids fishing,sitting on the end of their cayukas with their fishing line wrapped around old laundry bottles. They looked very happy; you could see a strange glow in their eyes as they cruised in their tropical paradise free from western influence. Their smiles as we passed by spoke to me of a happiness that we westerns will never understand in our world of technology and restless competition. I hope when St. Helena eventually becomes more touched by westerners that we don't rob them of this happiness but we probably will. All in the name of progress of course.

Thanks
There is much more
Daryl Friesen
Spindle Explorations
www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/insider.htm

explorer

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2005
Hi Daryl,
Just wondering if anybody ever went back to Old Port Royal and got the last chest of treasure that Mitchell left behind?

explorer

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2005
Daryl,
Great story. The first time I read the book I was thinking about looking for the last chest even before I finished reading the whole story. I even did a little research myself. I was very disapointed when I read your story that someone else has already been there and got the last chest. Hard to believe it stayed buried for that long!! A little ealier and you woud of had it :)
Do you know of any other good treasure leads like this one? Thanks again for the great story!!

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
A great story indeed, too good not to share with whomever will listen. It may well be true, but how do you keep others from not looking for that last chest? By telling another story about it being found already. That's what I would do if I came up empty the first time. If the original story is true, and it may well be true, and Roatan truly is a place where Morgan and other pirates have been, I doubt those four chests would be the only treasure on the island.

Further, the guy who told you about the shipwrecks is right, there are probably more shipwrecks than buried chests in that area. With time, tools, and money, a small group could still make a fortune down there. Ah, if only....

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
That doesn't surprise me Jeff as Daryl Friesen has proven in the past not to be trusted. Years back he started a news letter. I was stupid enough to subscribe to it. After just 2 issues they stopped coming. When I inquired about it, I got a lame excuse but got no refund. He acted like I was really ungrateful for wanting my money back...like I was the one who had done something wrong. Take everything with a grain of salt with this guy.
Boattow

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello,

? First I would like to say that I am really glad you all enjoyed the story. I am glad the story makes good art but it was painful to live.? ?The treasure that I searched for was not the one on little calf island that location was cleaned out long ago by Howard Jennings. I searched on a key called Key Comfort. Now, I talked to Sammy Hedges on the telephone and she told me that in the book the key was called Careening Key? but that the key was in fact in reality? called Key Comfort. Sammy and her father Mitchell hedges used it as there base for exploring archeaological sites on Helena and Roatan. There is also no mention of the treasure find in Mitchell Hedges book Danger my Alley because he was going to go back and recover it someday.

This is the info I used in my search. I was not just going on whats in The Treasure Hunter.? Carrening key was not the real location as it says in the Treasure Hunter.If you new the possible location of a treasure like that would you publish it at least under its real name?I have a picture of the key that i will dig up and post online. I have also heard that the key comfort that we dug on was not the Key Comfort that Mitchell Hedges talks about in his book Danger My Alley but that Key Comfort was now underwater. The chest mentioned in the Treasure Hunter by Howard Jenning may still be there somwhere. But it broke my heart once and I have moved on.

I will return once I have taken enough gold out of the Pitt lake country. You are correct there are many other pirate sites on the islands.

Thanks for reading
Daryl Friesen
Spindle Explorations
www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello Boattow

? You are now reading a story from that magazine for free. I am putting the entire thing online for free. I went broke when I was running it as a magazine years ago and I am sorry you where not refunded. Please dont judge me on my past mistakes. Like I said you can read it for free now and you have. The story that was posted on this forum ran in the THI.? There are others online for free and all of it will be soon. So you will get your moneys worth.? Also if I where to return to the island I would check out Gunaja. A small island just west of Roatan.

http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/guanja.html

Thanks
Daryl Friesen
Spindle Explorations
www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/insider.htm

S

Sabash

If I recall correctly, one of Mitchell Hedges claims to fame was the finding of a crystal skull in a dig on the mainland (Tikal?). For quite some time now, people have been doubting the veracity of that claim, and I believe I read once that his daughter Sammy eventually admitted it was a hoax. When I learned about that it cast doubt on any other stories I heard about him finding lost treasure. If it's true...great, but it doesn't help any of us anyway since the treasure he "left behind" for seemingly no reason is long gone. I believe the story was he left it behind because the authorities were getting close. If that were true, the authorities would have recovered the last chest. Personally I wouldn't put any stock in this rumor.

Or maybe I'm trying to keep you all away from it!

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello,

I have been to San Pedro, Belize and to the ruins of Lubantuun where the crystal skull was found and the care takers of the ruins all know Sammy Hedges and all believe in the skull and that it was found there. There have also been many tests done on the skull and its as old as they say it is.( google crystal skull) Some believe that it was given to Hedges by the Masons and that he faked its discovery at Lubantuun by planting it in the ruins for his daughter to discover on her birthday. Sammy herself believes in all her heart that the skull was found in the ruins of Lubantuun and please do some more research on Hedges before writing off all his efforts because some of it I know is very true. Have you read his book Danger My Alley? Where he made all kinds of discoveries of payan artifacts on the Bay Islands especially near Helena in the caves which are located on the far eastside of Roatan island. I have been inside these caves and met the locals and have made some payan finds of my own. There are many other artifacts waiting to be found on Roatan where Hedges says they are to found. As far as Roatan being an old outpost of Atlantis that one I cant swallow unless more prove is found. But as far as his excavations go he was telling the truth. Please do more research before you write someone off.

PS: Have a look at this

http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/truth.html

Talk to you soon
Daryl Friesen
www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love these stories and read them avidly.I really don,t care if they,re true or not living far from the oceans I,ll likely not have a chance to find out,but I like the assumption on my part that they could be true.Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread