Buried treasure in New Mexico may have claimed 2nd life; founder rethinks stunt

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Buried treasure in New Mexico may have claimed 2nd life; founder rethinks stunt | Fox News

By Joseph J. Kolb
Published June 21, 2017

Thousands of people have braved daunting temperatures and the treacherous and rugged terrain of northern New Mexico’s mountains in search of a $2 million treasure buried in a publicity stunt that has claimed at least one life.

Now, officials are asking adventurous tourists to rethink their pursuit of the windfall – which may not even exist.

The treasure chest – buried by author Forrest Fenn, a self-described risk-taker – is reportedly deep in the mountains and filled with gold and precious gems.

Fenn dared people to find it.

A Colorado man who took the challenge died last year searching for Fenn’s treasure. This month, the stunt may have claimed another victim, prompting authorities to ask Fenn to end the hunt.

Fenn says he’s considering it.

“That is an option, but I have not made a decision yet," Fenn told Fox News on Tuesday. “Today I have received over 200 emails urging me to not call off the hunt, and two that think I should.”

Colorado pastor Paris Wallace, 52, has been missing for more than a week and on Monday police said a body had been found near the Rio Grande River not far from where Wallace’s vehicle was. The body has yet to be identified. Wallace, of Grand Junction, Colo., told his family he wanted to find the hidden treasure.

“Whether the treasure exists or not and regardless of what Mr. Fenn's motivation was for announcing this treasure hunt,” said Lt. Elizabeth Armijo, a spokeswoman for the New Mexico State Police, “the pursuit of the treasure is not worth risking one’s life or the lives of dedicated [search-and-rescue] and law enforcement personnel.”

Wallace, who was a lead pastor, was last seen June 12 north of Santa Fe. After missing a meeting last Wednesday, police were notified. Investigators found his 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe in the small hamlet of Pilar, in Taos County. Nearby, they found what is believed to be his backpackand personal belongings on Saturday.

The next day, a man’s body was found in the Rio Grande Gorge, some 7 miles from where the vehicle was found. Police had not definitively confirmed the identity of the body, but evidence seems to suggest that it belongs to Wallace.

Fenn expressed his sorrow and regret at the possibility that Wallace died searching for his treasure. But his death would not be the first one attributed to the treasure hunt.

In January 2016, Randy Bilyeu, 54, disappeared along the Rio Grande River in northern New Mexico also in search of the elusive and miniscule bronze treasure chest that is said to measure only 10 inches by 10 inches and weighs 40 pounds. It allegedly contains 265 gold coins, gems, rubies and hundreds of gold nuggets, two of which are the size of eggs.

Bilyeu, like the more than 60,000 estimated treasure hunters who have scoured the wilds of New Mexico and even Yellowstone Park, was unsuccessful. But he paid for the venture with his life. On July 14, his remains were located outside of Santa Fe.

At the time, Bilyeu’s ex-wife expressed her anger at Fenn.

“I think that Fenn should man up and provide some concrete evidence that the chest is real,” Linda Bilyeu told Fox News then.

The New Mexico Tourism Department has even exploited the craze as a tool to attract tourists.

The New Mexico Tourism Department released a video promoting the search. Cabinet Secretary Rebecca Latham has said the excitement generated by the chance of unearthing $2 million worth of gold and gems is a “gift that keeps on giving.”

In the wake of one and likely two deaths associated with the search, Fox News reached out to the New Mexico Tourism Department for a comment. The agency said no officials were available. New Mexico State Police Chief Pete Kassetas told the Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper that Fenn should call off the search and, "stop this nonsense."

The odyssey began nearly seven years ago when Fenn self-published a swashbuckling daring-do memoir called “The Thrill of the Chase.” Fenn himself is a self-described adventurer. As a fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, he was shot down twice and safely rescued both times. In his self-published memoir, Fenn essentially dares readers to look for the treasure by giving them nine clues.

“There must be a few Indiana Jones types out there, like me, ready to throw a bedroll in a pickup and start searching with a reasonable chance of discovering a treasure chest containing more than 20 troy pounds of gold,” he wrote. “I knew exactly where to hide the chest so it would be difficult to find, but not impossible. It’s in the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe.”

Fenn continued to harken the romanticism of the southwest in his sequel, “Too Far to Walk,” which may have a tinge of irony attached given recent tragedies. That book was published in 2013 and contains one clue and a rough rendition of a treasure map.

The treasure hunt has even become an obsession on social media.

Some contend the treasure hunt is a marketing ploy to encourage people to purchase Fenn’s extremely costly books.

Bilyeu’s ex-wife believes it’s all a hoax.

“There’s no treasure,” she told the Albuquerque Journal after her ex-husband’s remains were found. “It’s not real. He lost his life for a hoax.”

But Wallace’s wife of 30 years, Mitzi Wallace, believes there is a treasure and said she would continue searching for it with her 19-year-old son – including the area where police believe her husband died. She said it would be a mistake for Fenn to end the hunt.

She told the Associated Press that her husband sometimes risked his life for wild adventures.

“I know without a shadow of a doubt,” she told the AP, “that it was God's way of taking him."

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who said it was in NM?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a bit of sympathy for any of them.

Fenn stated several times that the treasure is hidden where an 80 year old man can get to it (his age when he hid it). All those idiots rappelling and cliff climbing seem to keep forgetting that part.

Mike

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom

Fenn stated several times that the treasure is hidden where an 80 year old man can get to it (his age when he hid it). All those idiots rappelling and cliff climbing seem to keep forgetting that part.

Mike

But Mike, until you have been an 80 year old man, what do you know of limits? Most prefer to imagine big limits. I myself still think that I can do a sit-up. Clearly Nonsense!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
But Mike, until you have been an 80 year old man, what do you know of limits? Most prefer to imagine big limits. I myself still think that I can do a sit-up. Clearly Nonsense!

There are not many 80 year old men that can go better than a 40 or even 50 year old man if both are in "Good Shape". I know that at 72, I thank God ever time I go to the VA Hospital and see the other vets in worse shape than I. He hiked to the location, either from his car or boat (which I doubt). The people looking for it are adding more danger to it than is needed IMO. No, I haven't gone looking for it. Got other fish to fry. ;)

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, YER ONLY 72 ??? i HAVE 22 YEARS ON YOU, BUT i ADMIT THAT A NO MORE ON THE TRAIL, i HAVE TO LIVE WITH MY MEMORIES. WHICH ARE LOADED.

i KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AT THE VA, I FEEL THE SAME WAY.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't stop fenn! if people go after it and are not smart enough to know their limits or prepare for the weather, they are stupid

when stupid people die everyone gains

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike

I have a little sympathy for them, at least that they lost their lives chasing what "they had turned into a fantasy hunt"....like you, had they stuck with the program they wouldn't have been risking their lives. But we see this type thing all the time, folks get something in their heads even with all of the contrary facts staring them in the face and they start to believe in something else entirely.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would sue the grand canyon

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to wonder!?!? Come on Sandy!

Lots of fun reading the news from Ariz. & New Mexico! Every summer you hear all these people climbing hills most in tank tops track shorts and sandals or cruddy tennies carrying a half a bottle of water getting their dumb a$$eS toted back down. What Arizona needs to do is post signs at the bottom of these hills lining out what the bill is gonna be for heiloing them out + the medics + the ambulance ride + the ER visit. Dummies don't think things out until it starts costing them bucks. Bet they think those fun helicopter rides are free! Someone said humans are the dumbest animal on earth. It's being proved true everyday!

Last edited:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, YER ONLY 72 ??? i HAVE 22 YEARS ON YOU, BUT i ADMIT THAT A NO MORE ON THE TRAIL, i HAVE TO LIVE WITH MY MEMORIES. WHICH ARE LOADED.

he he - then it's about time it all got down on paper/disk !! ;-)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Don Jose,

I was less than impressed with the care my father in law, and Uncle Obie Stoker received from the VA. That was a number of years ago. Around a year ago I found out I had been exposed to Agent Orange for the entire year (65-66) while in Viet Nam. Health has been going downhill since I got back with doctors unable to find anything wrong.

Lady from Veterans United told me I should put in a claim and where to do it. Two months start to finish and they put me at 95% disabled. Within a week of getting that letter, I had $33,000 forwarded into my bank account and get just under $2,000 the first of every month. Other than they should have contacted me 50 or so years ago, I don't have any complaints.......whatsoever.

If anyone reading this was in Viet Nam, has diabetes, heart disease or neuropathy, get in touch with a Veterans Benefits Counselor. Don't just give up, it's more than worth the effort.

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread