leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
got out for two 5 hour hunts this weekend.
i took my little honda side by side. bottomed out a few times.
these old mining trails are getting so bad,
i wouldn't even take a jeep on some of them.
made it to an old patch and moved some rocks and dirt.
first day found the 5 bigger ones in the pic.
day 2 i brought a friend that just got a new gold monster from bill southern.
i stayed with him long enough to pop the cherry on that monster.
he ended up with 5 or 6 dinks, didnt get a pic of them.
i prospected up the wash and got a few other small bits.
i did expand the patch, found a new little gulch, found 2 in it, will have to get back to that.
i was about a mile, hiking back to where i left my friend, there was a rough part of the bed rock that i couldn't
bypass. i hopped over it on the way in, about 3.5 feet across, so i tried to hop back.
my toe caught on the bed rock and i went down, hard. layed there stund. thank god i had on my
knee pads and gloves. the right glove was torn and had a bit of blood on it, busted the skin on
the knuckle in a few spots. its a good thing i only had my rock pick on my hip and wasn't carrying my
hermit pick, that could have been real bad.
thats how my new patch got the name, busted knuckle gulch.

Attachments

• bustedknucklegulch.jpg
    bustedknucklegulch.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had to laugh about the falling down.... It seems I take a tumble damned near every time I go out? If I'm anywhere near any creek I end up falling down or in it, main reason I prefer up on the side of the mtn and nowhere near any creeks or water. Nice hunt you had and be careful out there....!!!!!!

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang thats a good patch name lol. Sorry about the fall, glad it wasn't worse. I'm constantly thinking about not getting hurt in the back of my mind when I'm out in the hills. Sweet gold! Nice chunky bits

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
cool name,great gold. i tell my friends that there is a fire station about 3 miles away from most of my diggings.they say that good.but then i tell them thats a long ways if you are crawling there with a broken leg.:laughing7:
be safe
brad

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Age sucks. Skinned knees, busted knuckles and in my case, bump and bleed.
Good to see some gold!

OP
OP
L

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
Did you find all those with the gold monster?

yes, all with the gm.
will be hitting it again Friday with someone who has never used a detector before.
after i set him up and hopefully get him on gold ill be using the 5000.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got out for two 5 hour hunts this weekend.
i took my little honda side by side. bottomed out a few times.
these old mining trails are getting so bad,
i wouldn't even take a jeep on some of them.
made it to an old patch and moved some rocks and dirt.
first day found the 5 bigger ones in the pic.
day 2 i brought a friend that just got a new gold monster from bill southern.
i stayed with him long enough to pop the cherry on that monster.
he ended up with 5 or 6 dinks, didnt get a pic of them.
i prospected up the wash and got a few other small bits.
i did expand the patch, found a new little gulch, found 2 in it, will have to get back to that.
i was about a mile, hiking back to where i left my friend, there was a rough part of the bed rock that i couldn't
bypass. i hopped over it on the way in, about 3.5 feet across, so i tried to hop back.
my toe caught on the bed rock and i went down, hard. layed there stund. thank god i had on my
knee pads and gloves. the right glove was torn and had a bit of blood on it, busted the skin on
the knuckle in a few spots. its a good thing i only had my rock pick on my hip and wasn't carrying my
hermit pick, that could have been real bad.
thats how my new patch got the name, busted knuckle gulch.

Nice ,very nicely well done :)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet finds, busted knuckles or not!

It does suck when you take a tumble, but I'm happy you came away with some pretty gold.

All the best,

Lanny

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Had to laugh about the falling down.... It seems I take a tumble damned near every time I go out? If I'm anywhere near any creek I end up falling down or in it, main reason I prefer up on the side of the mtn and nowhere near any creeks or water. Nice hunt you had and be careful out there....!!!!!!

I consider myself to be a veteran outdoorsman, well versed in traversing some pretty bad land without breaking much sweat, and I rarely stop for breaks. I have very good footing. But I will tell you detecting for gold is not for lightweights. The hike in is wonderful. Full of hope and ambition. The morning air, my coffee, its more than words can describe. After about 6 hours, all that is gone, and all Im left with is berry thorns, scrapes, scratches, debis down the back of my neck, low water, 300 yard crawl to the trail.... and it always seems like im going uphill to get back to the rig. detecting on a steep side hill is not much fun. I try to wear clod hoppers whenever I can, but in the summer its just not feasible. constantly my feet slip out and i have to cut pads to stand in so I dont keep sliding. Ive taken a couple spills, luckily never on bedrock. One time took a piece of quartz shrapnel to the cheek. that could have blinded me. the quartz is still in my cheek, confirmed with my last dental x rays. Be safe out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread