Button Finds & Silver

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just found my second Navy button here in my yard today (along with a silver dime & flat looking button with a little gold gilt still on it). The first button I found was a little silver colored one (maybe the size of a dime?) and a little broken name plate. My house was built in 1956 (here in Florida), but I'm thinking by some of the things I've found, these things may pre-date our home. Can anyone help me ID these buttons? I'm not so good with buttons.

Bran <><

Attachments

• 20211110_175606~2.jpg
    20211110_175606~2.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20211110_174613~2.jpg
    20211110_174613~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20200209_182912.jpg
    20200209_182912.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
Upvote 11

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just found my second Navy button here in my yard today (along with a silver dime & flat looking button with a little gold gilt still on it). The first button I found was a little silver colored one (maybe the size of a dime?) and a little broken name plate. My house was built in 1956 (here in Florida), but I'm thinking by some of the things I've found, these things may pre-date our home. Can anyone help me ID these buttons? I'm not so good with buttons.

Bran <><
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on getting the silver and the button from the back yard.
The button is probably dating as the dime.

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on getting the silver and the button from the back yard.
The button is probably dating as the dime.
Thank you. I kinda assumed that the button was a similar time period, but could've maybe been from the 40's. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Bran <><

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. I kinda assumed that the button was a similar time period, but could've maybe been from the 40's. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Bran <><
Dating something lost can be a decade(s) off.
One just has to look around in their own life, and see items that are decades old already-and if it was lost today it would throw the timeline off by decades.
Generally though one can get a sense of when something was active (site) by various finds.
It's when we get a school/church for example that dates 1895 on the building stone.
Then we recover a coin that is dated 100 yrs older, we go :icon_scratch::hello2:
Just because something is/isn't there today, it doesn't mean it wasn't there in another era.

That's what makes this hobby so rewarding is uncovering the unknowns of the past.

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dating something lost can be a decade(s) off.
One just has to look around in their own life, and see items that are decades old already-and if it was lost today it would throw the timeline off by decades.
Generally though one can get a sense of when something was active (site) by various finds.
It's when we get a school/church for example that dates 1895 on the building stone.
Then we recover a coin that is dated 100 yrs older, we go :icon_scratch::hello2:
Just because something is/isn't there today, it doesn't mean it wasn't there in another era.

That's what makes this hobby so rewarding is uncovering the unknowns of the past.
So very true. I found a harmonica reed in the backyard, along with ceramic pottery that all seem to possibly indicate finds that are older than our late 50's home. But you just never know. If I find items that are a generation or more older than the home, then I'll start to question what/who was here before this neighborhood was constructed.

The history of our town is pretty rich, with the Spanish landing here in 1528, privateers & pirates later on, and of course the Natives that were here before all of them. So I'll never be too surprised at the possible historical relics that could randomly be found here in our town.

Bran <><

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bran <><
sweet, love those finds in my own yard. Love that silver, wtg

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet, love those finds in my own yard. Love that silver, wtg
Thank you! So far, I've found a silver quarter, silver dime, and a silver ring (along with a TON of other items). I love the mental picture that these items paint for me, almost allowing me to go back in time. That's the best part of this hobby, that you just never know what you're going to recover.

Bran <><

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bran <><
In the Relic Hunting forum there is a sub forum for buttons.You might try posting there for a better chance of the button guys seeing.

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Relic Hunting forum there is a sub forum for buttons.You might try posting there for a better chance of the button guys seeing.
While I've been a member for a very long time, I haven't been on a lot over the years... so I'm not as familiar with the sections as I used to be. I'll go do that now though! Thank you!

Bran <><

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I've been a member for a very long time, I haven't been on a lot over the years... so I'm not as familiar with the sections as I used to be. I'll go do that now though! Thank you!

Bran <><
You are most welcome! I try to help when I can,I don,t know buttons from squat but there,s guys here who can.Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread