✅ SOLVED Button ID help needed please (2 buttons)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone! I got out detecting with @SlateBeltDigger today, and I found a few buttons that I am hoping you experts can share some information on.
Now, I've found hundreds of "normal" flat buttons and plenty of tombac buttons.
But these two buttons are a little different, so any information you can share would be appreciated.
NOTE: the buttons came from a small area where three 1700's coins and a few dandy buttons have been found.

Button #1: This button has a concave back, a full shank and the edges seem to be curled under (into the convex shape). There seems to be some silver wash/gilt remaining on these back edges. No backmark of any kind. Seems to be made of brass.
Any idea on a timeframe for this one?

Button #2: This button also has no backmark, and also seems to be brass. The shank is missing, but the front has some fancy designs on it, and there seems to be some gold gilt left. The pictures don't show it, but the back is more green than I'm used to with flat buttons, like maybe it has a coating?
If I had to guess I'd would say early 1800's on this one, but any feedback is welcome.

I've also included a picture of all my finds from the day. No old coins (this is the 3rd time we've hit this property, so I think we got them all on the previous visits), just wheat pennies.
(Upper left is a double-wick oil lamp piece; I didn't know there were double-wick ones!)

Oh, the last item is apparently something called a "Victorian shoe button cover". Never would have guessed that (ID.me on Facebook helped).

Thanks all!
- Brian

IMG_2138.jpg

S20220828_003.JPG

S20220828_005.jpg

S20220828_004.JPG

S20220828_001.JPG

S20220828_002.JPG

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first button is very early 18th century. The 2nd, mid to late 18th century. The broken "bat wing" drawer pull is in the Chippendale style which was popular in the 1770's.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your first button is very early 18th century. The 2nd, mid to late 18th century. The broken "bat wing" drawer pull is in the Chippendale style which was popular in the 1770's.
Thanks Smokey!
I've seen so many of those drawer pull escutcheons that are modern imitations, but I never really thought of when they were originally designed. Thanks for the info!

- Brian

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread