🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Button ID help please

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone date this button I found? I seen similar police buttons but they had a wreath around the P. Thinking civil war Era, maybe a little later. Any info from the button connoisseurs is appreciated.
20220805_143332.jpg

20220805_142449.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The letter on your button is a P written in Old-English Script. Most often, that letter written in that "font" is a generic City (or County) Police button.

We time-date metal buttons by what the backmark says, and its "font," and other characteristics like the circle(s) of dots around the backmark, and the punctuation-marks in it. Your button's backmark says Superior * Quality * in what is called indented "plain block" lettering, with two indented stars or asterisks, all inside two circles of dots. That specific version of Quality-rating backmark began showing around the 1890s (plus or minus a few years), and was used through most of the 20th-Century. That being said, the "stars" or asterisks mostly went away by the mid-20th-Century. So I'd date your button to most likely being made between about 1900 and 1950.

Attachments

• lettering_Old-English-Script-lettering_3110.gif
    lettering_Old-English-Script-lettering_3110.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 8
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The letter on your button is a P written in Old-English Script. Most often, that letter written in that "font" is a generic City (or County) Police button.

We time-date metal buttons by what the backmark says, and its "font," and other characteristics like the circle(s) of dots around the backmark, and the punctuation-marks in it. Your button's backmark says Superior * Quality * in what is called indented "plain block" lettering, with two indented stars or asterisks, all inside two circles of dots. That specific version of Quality-rating backmark began showing around the 1890s (plus or minus a few years), and was used through most of the 20th-Century. That being said, the "stars" or asterisks mostly went away by the mid-20th-Century. So I'd date your button to most likely being made between about 1900 and 1950.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom sir, I sure appreciate it

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread