Button ID (Help)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from shooting for a couple hours after posting here for the first time and found a few newer coins and this interesting button. I do not have pic capabilities or i would post one, but i will describe as best i can. Button is large appx 1" and round. Has a lion with tongue out rearing up on hind legs with lions front left leg straight out and his right front leg at a 45 degree angle as to attack. He is facing towards left so only his left side showing.He appears to be walking on rear legs with head drawn way back but face still looking forward. Tail is in S shape and has pronounced tuft at tip indicating a male lion. Under Lion appears to be a equal length of stem with leaves, one going left and curving with bottom of button and same going right and bound together where stems cut off at bottom. At appx the 10 Oclock and 2 Oclock position there are the? matching letters JNY with no punctuation between the letters. It is one piece and if looked at from side has a mushroom head shape with a heavy dome. The back curves inward with dome and is not flat. The thread mounting hole piece is not flush with the back and stands out appx 3/16", and you could spin it like a top if you wished. It appears to have a silver guilding that is flaking on the edges in spots and appears old. When my coil went over it, the meter went into the silver quarter range. It was found in a semi out of the way upstate NY park not far from the Hudson River if that may help. My whole area has alot of Revolutionary war/colonial history. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.? ? ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that would be known as a "RAMPANT LION" ? I would go to E-bay & search the words rampent lion button & try and match it up. maby you could drag a pic over that way ? GOOD LUCK ; jeff THIS GENERAL IDEA ?

Attachments

• Button2099.jpg
    Button2099.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 489
OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, but as old as this post is i'm sure Buckram had seen it and never replied.

Thanks, Jeff. Mine is similar to that one but not a match. Someone in another thread about my button relayed my description to a military button expert and the guy drew a blank. Either it is not military related or not another one is known to exist to compare mine to.

I also found a late 1800's early 1900's NY Militia medal that Bergie and Buckram postive IDed for me in the same park around 400" from where the button was found.

Still have no pic capabilities at this time, and the mystery continues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread