🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Button? id help

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking this is an old snap button with maybe part of the old leather coat still between the 2 pieces??? Approx 1/2 inch in diameter. Could anyone help me with what I have here and give me a date/use/name? Thanks as always!

-Chase
20230108_135016.jpg
20230108_134828.jpg
20230108_140724.jpg

OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are called "nipple rivets." that one seems to be from the mid 1900s. They still make them today, although their architecture has changed a bit. View attachment 2063605
Thanks for your input. The actual name of the rivet helped me alot. However, I'm almost positive this is way older than 1950. This is a large rivet with a thick piece of leather between it. The "nipple" also appears to not be machine made, as it is lopsided and not uniform. I have found civil war Era cartridge bag rivets and leather horse tack rivets to be very similar to this one. Just my opinion tho, but u always reach a little bit when it's something u found in a really old historic place lol. Guess I'm just waiting for the rivet guru to see my post.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
knapp sack rivets . Some were hammered shut. We find them on civil war sites

Attachments

• IMG_8002.jpg
    IMG_8002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8003.jpg
    IMG_8003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Upvote 2
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
knapp sack rivets . Some were hammered shut. We find them on civil war sites
This one doesn't quite look that hammered but this site has produced other civil war relics. I found this buckle very close to rivet. Do u think it matches the time frame?
20230108_133927.jpg

Upvote 2

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say but I know I find those rivets with the nap sack hooks ,buttons and bullets. Imagine they were made for years after the civil war as well. Some of them look like miniature thread spools.
Their are many more knowledgeable than I on relics.
keep hunting sounds like a good area.

Upvote 2

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm thinking this is an old snap button with maybe part of the old leather coat still between the 2 pieces??? Approx 1/2 inch in diameter. Could anyone help me with what I have here and give me a date/use/name? Thanks as always!

-Chase View attachment 2063602 View attachment 2063603 View attachment 2063604
Im wading in a bit late here but those items look like civil war era equipment studs/belt rivets and a harness buckle. The stud looks to have leather still attached. It is possible as Civil war era leather still survives even to this day. I've dug numerous studs etc with scraps of black leather still clinging to them. This is especially true of Relics pulled from wet boggy areas/creek bed. Confederate troops had more of a variety of equipment odds & ends, more "homespun" or civilian looking. This could be post civil war as well as war surplus items were still around. The point is you are digging a very good area, keep looking & plz tell us what else you find!!!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im wading in a bit late here but those items look like civil war era equipment studs/belt rivets and a harness buckle. The stud looks to have leather still attached. It is possible as Civil war era leather still survives even to this day. I've dug numerous studs etc with scraps of black leather still clinging to them. This is especially true of Relics pulled from wet boggy areas/creek bed. Confederate troops had more of a variety of equipment odds & ends, more "homespun" or civilian looking. This could be post civil war as well as war surplus items were still around. The point is you are digging a very good area, keep looking & plz tell us what else you find!!!
Thanks so much fctom. It is a wet low lying area. I dug some more rivets and was wondering if u recognized any of them. The one at the upper right inparticularly fascinates me, idk if it's stamped with a design or symbol or what? Thank you again sir and look fwd to your reply again
Screenshot_20230115_213635_Gallery.jpg

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CKpoorboy wrote:
> I dug some more rivets and was wondering if u recognized any of them.

We must keep in mind, every piece of civilian leather horseharness made in the past 250 years (which is multi-millions) used several of these copper/brass rivets for holding two pieces of leather together. It is impossible to tell whether a rivet is from a 1920 horse-bridle or a civil war soldier's cartridge-box.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread