Button ID - SOLVED

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
These buttons were found saturday. Any help in identifying them would be greatly appreciated. The larger button had a layer of what looks to be gold(some of the layering is still intact).The smaller button is a plated button too (silver or pewter maybe). There was a civil war infantry button found at this site saturday also.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• buttons ft.jpg
    buttons ft.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 325
  • buttons back.jpg
    buttons back.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 308
  • buttons ft.jpg
    buttons ft.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 319
  • buttons back.jpg
    buttons back.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 315
OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
Re: Button ID

The larger button has K at the top a M on each side and an A at the bottom. There is lettering on the back but it's in pretty bad shape. I can only make out "co." on the back. A member told me it was a Kings Mountian Military Academy button. The other button has no lettering but on the back it does have a design that looks like a wreath or a wheat design.
thanks

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

King's Mountain Military Academy sounds right. It was located in York, South Carolina. I can't seem to find a photo of any button from the academy online anywhere. Perhaps this is a good thing--that button could turn out to be quite rare. Other military academy buttons (KMI, VMI, etc.) are highly collectible items, and they are quite pricey.

I'll keep looking.

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2

Thanks buckleboy!! I live in York County and the button was found in York county also. There is very little info on the academy and none that I can find as far as pics of the button. Hopefully it's rare!! Thanks for the help!!
hikermike

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

In 1857 two Citadel graduates, Micah Jenkins and Asbury Coward, est. KMMA at 236 Kings Mountain Street. It was recog. as the leading prep school throughout the SE. With the beginning of the CW, the two men were comm. in the Confederate Army and the school closed. Micah Jewnkins rose to the rank of Brigadier General and was mistakenly killed by hsi own troops at the Battle of the Wilderness. Col. Coward returned and reopened the school, operating it for a number of years. Later he was name Pres. of the Citadel, the Military College of So. Carolina, in Charlston.
Don....
Source: http://www.yorkvillehs.org/KingsMountain.htm

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Coward persuaded a brilliant Citadel classmate, Micah Jenkins, to come to Yorkville. Together they founded Kings Mountain Military Academy in January 1855. Coward and Jenkins were both 19. They opened with 12 students, got enrollment up to 200 before the CW, when it first closed. After the war, Coward reopened the school, unsuccessfully; and it closed for good in 1886.
A lot more history of the founders and their school is here:
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache...ary+Academy&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now this thread is getting pretty darn exciting! If you get a photo of another button somewhere, please, please PLEASE scan it in and post it here! One thing is for certain...treat that button like GOLD. With an enrollment of only 200, it is most certainly scarce.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Mackaydon said:
Montana:
A little toungue-in-cheek perhaps?
Don.....

LOL... yes and no. I thought everyone was on the right track, and when Plehbah posted I figured someone would research the magazine and just post the details. When I googled the acronym I got Korean Merchant Marine Academy - so I just posted it to make everyone think outside the box. I knew that wasn't it - I figured Korea made their own buttons - lol!

Upvote 0

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250

BB you are the best at id'ing, I don't know what treasurenet would do without you.
when mike pulled that button out of the hole I think i was more excited than he was, either that or the thrill of finding so much faded for him. that button deserves to be put in a museum. Once again congrats mike!!!

Jeff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2

Great work Plehbah!! Thats it!! I knew someone on here would know or would find out!! I talked with a friend in our club and he said he has three of these buttons, but the ones he has have KMMC instead of the KMMA. He lives in York(Yorkville) and has hunted the old site of the academy. The property now is a home for troubled kids and the new man in charge wont let anyone detect there.This is a quote from him...."you can come here,sign in , meet the kids and even help our staff with some of the activities, but if you try to metal detect here....You will be prosecuted." Guess I wont be going to the old academy site!!! Thanks for all the work on the id!!
Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread