Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Upvote 0

Major William Brown

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2011
Kings Mountain button

These buttons were found saturday. Any help in identifying them would be greatly appreciated. The larger button had a layer of what looks to be gold(some of the layering is still intact).The smaller button is a plated button too (silver or pewter maybe). There was a civil war infantry button found at this site saturday also. Thanks!!

I'm the author of the, as of 2014, definitive article on Kings Mountain Military School of Yorkville, SC, published a number of years ago in North-South Trader's Civil War magazine. This dug Kings Mountain Military Academy button is post-war and would be from the early 1870s at best. This would be the recreation of the school which didn't last for very long. The Civil War killed the school and despite the efforts of Asbury Coward, one of the co-founders, they never did get it where they could fiancially make it feasible. Too many Up-Country families were just flat bankrupted by the war (Confederate bonds one problem) and couldn't afford a private school. The only war-era buttons are the KMMS buttons and all of those are in fact pre-war by a few years. I have found that postwar southern school buttons don't command 3 figure prices and often are only in the $20-30 range. If you're a SC button collector, than a KMMS button and a KMMA button are both worthwhile items. V.R., Major Wm Brown

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread