Button info

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I am in the correct forum but I found this today, after a quick search I think it is a 1810 Navy button. One site has it NA66-B, with a RV 12-15. If it is that button what is a RV12-15 mean? Thanks for looking, appreciate help.
eagle front.jpg
eagle back.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RV means relative value. As such, when Albert wrote his book, I have the bicentennial edition, a standard Union infantry general service button, the one with the eagle and no letters in the shield has an RV of 1. So...extrapolating, if one of those was worth $1.00 in 1976, then yours in good shape would be $15. So...today an eagle button like I described is average of $8. So yours would be 8 x $15 for comparison purposes.

As has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it also depends on what market exists now for them. That's a very nice button. Congrats. We don't get many from that period where I am, not far away some are found, but most of that area is built up now.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NA66-b is in reference to Alphaeus H. Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" This book was originally printed in 1977. Here is the explanation of RV in that book:

"The letters "RV" are used to indicate the relative value of a button. This estimated value is based on buttons in fine condition and takes into account the present scarcity and demand, as well as current prices in different parts of the country. Badly worn, damaged or excavated specimens have less value. Restrikes and copies, also, are valued accordingly. Note that in the case of U.S. military and northern and southern state buttons, the "RV" will drop markedly for post civil war specimens. Further note that the "RV"is not an indication of any specific dollar amount and that unusual demand or the finding of unreported collections will affect relative values."
So, as of 1977 your button would have a relative value between 12 and 15. There are buttons in his book with an RV of 1 and there are buttons with an RV over 100. I hope this helps a little as it took me 20 minutes to type it!:laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, much appreciated. Is there more value in a higher or lower RV? Hopefully not a bad question.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry already got answer. Thanks Smokey and fyrffytr