🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Button, patriotic or military?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600a.jpg
    s-l1600a.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 36

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t recognise the design, but the company was “Trelon Weldon & Weil” (not “Wells”) and you can narrow down that presumed 1814-1865 dating to a 20=year window. The company was formed in 1835 as “Trelon and Langlois-Sauer”, Weldon joined them in 1841, but the partnership didn’t become Trelon, Weldon & Weil until 1845. They continued under that name until 1865 when they became “Trelon-Weldon-Weil, Hartog and Marchand” (TWW HM).

It looks more like part of a cuff-link than a button, although commonly these were called “cuff-buttons” at the time. It seems reasonable to guess that the red, white and blue is for the French tricolor and it might be a military insignia borrowed onto a set of cuff-links rather than being a military issue item. The emblems in the red and blue sectors look awfully like spurs to me.

I couldn’t find any match for cavalry-related badges. I mused that it might be a French Foreign Legion insignia… there are dozens of them, but I couldn’t find a match there either.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t recognise the design, but the company was “Trelon Weldon & Weil” (not “Wells”) and you can narrow down that presumed 1814-1865 dating to a 20=year window. The company was formed in 1835 as “Trelon and Langlois-Sauer”, Weldon joined them in 1841, but the partnership didn’t become Trelon, Weldon & Weil until 1845. They continued under that name until 1865 when they became “Trelon-Weldon-Weil, Hartog and Marchand” (TWW HM).

It looks more like part of a cuff-link than a button, although commonly these were called “cuff-buttons” at the time. It seems reasonable to guess that the red, white and blue is for the French tricolor and it might be a military insignia borrowed onto a set of cuff-links rather than being a military issue item. The emblems in the red and blue sectors look awfully like spurs to me.

I couldn’t find any match for cavalry-related badges. I mused that it might be a French Foreign Legion insignia… there are dozens of them, but I couldn’t find a match there either.
I knew that and still misspelled Weil!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread