Button w/eagle, anchor, shield - need ID help!

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Hi, I found this a couple of months ago, and haven't been able to ID it. It measures about 15/16", and still has some gilt showing on the back. It's very heavy, one piece, and the loop on the back looks like it was welded on. There is no writing anywhere on the button. It was found at an old mill - mid to late 1800's. I've found bottles from the 1880's, and buckles and other period items from this site, so I'm guessing this dates to about the same period. I know someone on this site should be able to ID it! Thanks in advance.

Richard

Attachments

• Buttonfrnt.jpg
    Buttonfrnt.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,508
  • Button.jpg
    Button.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,905

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Richard, I can't find this button in any of my references. I suspect that it may be foreign and is surely Naval in origin. It may possibly be a Marine button but what nationality I don't know. It is impressive none the less and a nice find. Maybe some of the experts will chime in and identify it for you.
Mike

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Hey Mike, thanks. Now that you mention it, I found a buckle in the same area that was marked France - old shoe buckle - definitely 1800's. I'll have to research foreign buttons - if that's possible. If anyone knows anything about foreign military buttons, please let me know if you can identify this.

Thanks,

Richard

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's earlier than mid-1800s...I haven't been able to find it anywhere yet though... I was thinking closer to the turn of the 19th c.

-Buckleboy

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I believe that it may be an Italian Navy button, although typically there's a crown above the anchor, as in this example:

italiannavy.jpg

Here's a later version, thought to date just prior to World War II:

ItalianNavyFront.jpg ItalianNavyBack.jpg

Then again, perhaps there are well-attributed naval buttons of other nations or maritime services showing the same sort of eagle superimposed on an anchor, with a cross-in-oval shield on its breast, as seen on the Italian Navy buttons. If so, I look forward to seeing them.

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Buckleboy and PBK, thanks for the input. It could be earlier than mid 1800's as this site had several different types of mills operating at different times in it's history, and some were earlier. I've searched everywhere for clues to this buttons origins. The cross in the shield seems to me to be the clue. The Italian buttons you posted PBK have the same shield. I'm gonna narrow my search. Thanks for the help - I love this site!

Richard

emwuka

Jul 10, 2013
Gdansk
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone. I got in my collection similar uniform button:

50gn.jpg

11d6.jpg

I sent an email with request to Italian Navy Museum, and I recieved quoted information:

the button you indicated was part of Naval Academy cadets and midshipmen's uniform in the year 1833

Regards,
Michal

Last edited:

Jack B

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my name is Jack Boezaard and I am from Derry Northern Ireland and I have found a very similar button to yours , have you got any more info on it and is it worth anything ? image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 196

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions