vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to BUTTONS for more exposure.
teacher.gif
Until a member pipes in - I pulled these from other TN threads...

Flat Button I.D. Needed (Feb 13, 2015)
tn_buttons_01.jpg

What has 13 stars, A long neck and Anchor !!!! Chug!! better Pics added !!! (Apr 24, 2011)
tn_buttons.jpg

US Military Uniform Buttons Interesting Facts (06 April 2013 - 02:19 AM)
tn_buttons_02.jpg

Livery Buttons Identified)
tn_buttons_03.jpg

Tons of Livery Buttons including: Anchor, Animal Paws, Antelope, Antler, Badger, Barrel, Bear, Beaver, Bee and Beehive, Bird - Raven or Rook, Birds - Birds of Prey, Birds - Cockerel, Birds - Cornish Cough, Birds - Curlew, Birds - Doves, Birds - Ducks, Birds - Herons and Storks, Birds - Misc, Birds - Ostrich, Birds - Owls, Birds - Peacock, Birds - Pelican, Birds - Pheasant, Birds - Pheonix, Birds - Swallow/Swift/Martin, Birds - Swan/Goose, Boar, Bull, Burning Hill, Camel, Castle or tower, Cat, Cathedral, Centaur, Chapeau, Civil Coat of Arms, Coat of Arms, Cockatrice, Cornucopia, Crescent, Cross, Crown, Deer or Hart, Dogs - Greyhound or Lurcher, Dogs - Gun dogs, Dogs - Talbot, Dolphin, Dragons and Wyverns, Elephant, Feathers, Female Arms - lozenge, Female Arms - Scroll, Female Arms - Shield, Fire, Fish, Fleur-de-Lys, Flowers, Foreign Buttons, Globe, Goat, Grasshopper, Griffin, Hand, Hare, Harp or Lyre, Heart, Hedgehog, Hill (Burning), Holly, Horse, Human (Leg), Human arm (embowed), Human Arm (Erect), Human Arm (Misc), Human Figures (Demi), Human Figures (Head), Human Figures (Kneeling), Human Figures (Sitting), Human Figures (Standing), Ibex, Inanimate Objects, Laurel, Leaves, Leopard or Panther, Lions (Demi), Lions (Head), Lions (Misc), Lions (Rampant), Lizard, Lobster, Mermaid, Mitre, Monkey, Monograms and Initials, Ostrich, Otter, Palm branch, Peacock, Pegasus, Pineapple, Porcupine, Portcullis, Ram or Lamb, Rhino, Rock, Rose, Sail, Salamander, Scorpion, Sea Horse, Sea Lion, Shamrock, Shell, Ship, Snake, Sphinx, Squirrel, Stag (Demi), Stag (Head), Stag (Lying Down), Stag (Sitting), Stag (Standing), Star, Sun, Tent, Thistle, Tiger, Trees, Unicorn, Vine, Weapon (Baton), Weapon (Battle Axe), Weapon (Bow and Arrow), Weapon (Cannon), Weapon (Lance and Spear), Weapon (Pheon), Weapon (Sword and Dagger), Weapons (Caltrap), Weapons (Crossbow), Whale, Wheat, Wings, and Wolf.

Navy Buttons
tn_buttons_04.jpg

OP
OP
S

SOG Fielder

Greenie
Jan 17, 2022
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to BUTTONS for more exposure.
teacher.gif
Until a member pipes in - I pulled these from other TN threads...

Flat Button I.D. Needed (Feb 13, 2015)
tn_buttons_01.jpg

What has 13 stars, A long neck and Anchor !!!! Chug!! better Pics added !!! (Apr 24, 2011)
tn_buttons.jpg

US Military Uniform Buttons Interesting Facts (06 April 2013 - 02:19 AM)
tn_buttons_02.jpg

Livery Buttons Identified)
tn_buttons_03.jpg

Tons of Livery Buttons including: Anchor, Animal Paws, Antelope, Antler, Badger, Barrel, Bear, Beaver, Bee and Beehive, Bird - Raven or Rook, Birds - Birds of Prey, Birds - Cockerel, Birds - Cornish Cough, Birds - Curlew, Birds - Doves, Birds - Ducks, Birds - Herons and Storks, Birds - Misc, Birds - Ostrich, Birds - Owls, Birds - Peacock, Birds - Pelican, Birds - Pheasant, Birds - Pheonix, Birds - Swallow/Swift/Martin, Birds - Swan/Goose, Boar, Bull, Burning Hill, Camel, Castle or tower, Cat, Cathedral, Centaur, Chapeau, Civil Coat of Arms, Coat of Arms, Cockatrice, Cornucopia, Crescent, Cross, Crown, Deer or Hart, Dogs - Greyhound or Lurcher, Dogs - Gun dogs, Dogs - Talbot, Dolphin, Dragons and Wyverns, Elephant, Feathers, Female Arms - lozenge, Female Arms - Scroll, Female Arms - Shield, Fire, Fish, Fleur-de-Lys, Flowers, Foreign Buttons, Globe, Goat, Grasshopper, Griffin, Hand, Hare, Harp or Lyre, Heart, Hedgehog, Hill (Burning), Holly, Horse, Human (Leg), Human arm (embowed), Human Arm (Erect), Human Arm (Misc), Human Figures (Demi), Human Figures (Head), Human Figures (Kneeling), Human Figures (Sitting), Human Figures (Standing), Ibex, Inanimate Objects, Laurel, Leaves, Leopard or Panther, Lions (Demi), Lions (Head), Lions (Misc), Lions (Rampant), Lizard, Lobster, Mermaid, Mitre, Monkey, Monograms and Initials, Ostrich, Otter, Palm branch, Peacock, Pegasus, Pineapple, Porcupine, Portcullis, Ram or Lamb, Rhino, Rock, Rose, Sail, Salamander, Scorpion, Sea Horse, Sea Lion, Shamrock, Shell, Ship, Snake, Sphinx, Squirrel, Stag (Demi), Stag (Head), Stag (Lying Down), Stag (Sitting), Stag (Standing), Star, Sun, Tent, Thistle, Tiger, Trees, Unicorn, Vine, Weapon (Baton), Weapon (Battle Axe), Weapon (Bow and Arrow), Weapon (Cannon), Weapon (Lance and Spear), Weapon (Pheon), Weapon (Sword and Dagger), Weapons (Caltrap), Weapons (Crossbow), Whale, Wheat, Wings, and Wolf.

Navy Buttons
tn_buttons_04.jpg

Wow, thank you! Really appreciate you getting me to the right spot and for all the button information. Those are great resources. I’m new to TN so the direction is very helpful. 😊

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think that’s a button. I believe it’s a knurled metal cap (or the top part thereof) for something sold as a cream or lotion in a tube.

The monogram is that of Lehn and Fink of New York NY (and later as Lehn & Fink Product Corporation), as seen on the cap for their ‘PEBECO’ toothpaste in this 1922 advertisement:

Toothpaste 1.jpg Toothpaste 2.jpg

Toothpaste is not the only possibility. The company was both a manufacturer and licensed distributor for a wide range of skin and personal care products sold in tubes. They introduced ‘Lysol’ to the US and also sold an antiseptic shaving cream containing Lysol in similar tubes as well as holding the rights for ‘Nivea’ creams. A whole bunch of other things too.

They used different stylings of that “L&F” monogram over the years. For example, this was the styling used in 1894, so your cap is probably 20th Century:

1894.jpg

Detailed information on the company and its products at this link:

https://www.cosmeticsandskin.com/companies/lehn-fink.php

OP
OP
S

SOG Fielder

Greenie
Jan 17, 2022
I don’t think that’s a button. I believe it’s a knurled metal cap (or the top part thereof) for something sold as a cream or lotion in a tube.

The monogram is that of Lehn and Fink of New York NY (and later as Lehn & Fink Product Corporation), as seen on the cap for their ‘PEBECO’ toothpaste in this 1922 advertisement:

View attachment 2004842 View attachment 2004843

Toothpaste is not the only possibility. The company was both a manufacturer and licensed distributor for a wide range of skin and personal care products sold in tubes. They introduced ‘Lysol’ to the US and also sold an antiseptic shaving cream containing Lysol in similar tubes as well as holding the rights for ‘Nivea’ creams. A whole bunch of other things too.

They used different stylings of that “L&F” monogram over the years. For example, this was the styling used in 1894, so your cap is probably 20th Century:

View attachment 2004844

Detailed information on the company and its products at this link:

https://www.cosmeticsandskin.com/companies/lehn-fink.php
Awesome ID! Thank you for the reply and all the history. Love the advertisement. Additionally, it’s very helpful in dating the site where I found it. I think it was active from roughly 1850 - 1910s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions