Buttons buttons who knows buttons?

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a few of the multitude of buttons found in my field this past season..2 are confirmed via a jewelers test to be gold plated(one barely has any left on it) any idea as to what they are or age of them? 2 are pewter..(1 is badly decayed) and I believe the 2 larger are dandies..there are also 2 pewter utensile handles..spoon? fork?

Attachments

• DSCF0065.JPG
    DSCF0065.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0066.JPG
    DSCF0066.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0069.JPG
    DSCF0069.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 91

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think any of them are buttons, but rather molded bullets. I suppose they could be sinkers or melted blobs, too, but they are definitely not buttons.

Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Them Dandies I believe are from the early/mid 1700's Frozen ground making you stir crazy yet? GodBless Chris

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
castletonking .. you are a dick .. report me as you will. If you are too stuffshirt to take a joke .. or too dumb to recognize one, then I feel sorry for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
castletonking .. you are a dick .. report me as you will. If you are too stuffshirt to take a joke .. or too dumb to recognize one, then I feel sorry for you.
why would you make a joke like that on a serious issue..i want my buttons identified..if u want to joke send them to me privately..also as far as your joke goes....i was at an antique gun collector in rutland yesterday and my so called sinker..is a handpoured,homemade bullet.he stated the men who posted were only making guesses and were wrong.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh my .. .. best let it drop .. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my .. .. best let it drop .. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
i am well armed..i choose not to battle as this is supposed to be a friendly,non confrontational forum where questions are answered in a civil manner and everyone is respectfull of everyone else...or at least thats supposed to be how it is.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
i am well armed..i choose not to battle as this is supposed to be a friendly,non confrontational forum where questions are answered in a civil manner and everyone is respectfull of everyone else...or at least thats supposed to be how it is.

Good .. Perhaps you should practice what you preach.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i was at an antique gun collector in rutland yesterday and my so called sinker..is a handpoured,homemade bullet.he stated the men who posted were only making guesses and were wrong.

True. We often have to make "guesses" on this forum because we do not have the relic in hand to make an ID and pictures don't always tell the whole story. While we are sometimes wrong, I would like to point out that many of the "guesses" on this forum are right on the mark and most of the regular posters here are VERY knowledgeable in their given specialty. Glad to know you got an ID you are happy with on your bullet.

Nice assortment of button finds as well. I love that ball button. Does it have a makers mark? I found a silver one in southern VA. The mark attributed it to ones used on Virginia artillery officer jackets. Further research showed the property owner at the time of the Civil War had a son who was an officer in a Virginia Artillery unit.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good .. Perhaps you should practice what you preach.
respect isn't a given it's earned..when my posts and opinions are respected then I will return the same.What people post in most cases are their opinions of what something is,just because something doesn't fit the mold exactly it's assumed to be a fraud or that the poster has no idea what they are talking about,it just so happens my so called sinker is a bullet and the posters were wrong.I live in an area very heavy in colonial and early 18th century finds,there are items that not everyone is going to know everything about..even the so called experts.I respect opinion..but not when I am told I have no idea what I'm talking about or being called a liar.I also do not appreciate when someone comes onto my posts and makes wiseass jokes..you expect me to respect you or anyone else,after an action like that? and you're a charter member?? shame on you!

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
respect isn't a given it's earned..when my posts and opinions are respected then I will return the same.What people post in most cases are their opinions of what something is,just because something doesn't fit the mold exactly it's assumed to be a fraud or that the poster has no idea what they are talking about,it just so happens my so called sinker is a bullet and the posters were wrong.I live in an area very heavy in colonial and early 18th century finds,there are items that not everyone is going to know everything about..even the so called experts.I respect opinion..but not when I am told I have no idea what I'm talking about or being called a liar.I also do not appreciate when someone comes onto my posts and makes wiseass jokes..you expect me to respect you or anyone else,after an action like that? and you're a charter member?? shame on you!

I don't give a flying flip if you "respect" me or not. That has no bearing on my life whatsoever. If you really feel that way about, "What people post in most cases are their opinions of what something is,just because something doesn't fit the mold exactly it's assumed to be a fraud or that the poster has no idea what they are talking about,it just so happens my so called sinker is a bullet and the posters were wrong" why do you even come here looking for help? Why not take that chip on your shoulder and skedaddle.

..and, if you want to learn about buttons, etc .. GET THE BOOKS! This isn't another government entitlement program whereby poor little castletonking cries,"i want my buttons identified" and poof.. they are identified. With your arrogance, I for the life of me, can't understand why anybody would go out of their way to help you with anything.
Anyhow, this will be my last post on this issue. Happy New Year!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
creskol,you are a very poor excuse for a charter member..very disrespectful,rude and obstinant.
I don't give a flying flip if you "respect" me or not. That has no bearing on my life whatsoever. If you really feel that way about, "What people post in most cases are their opinions of what something is,just because something doesn't fit the mold exactly it's assumed to be a fraud or that the poster has no idea what they are talking about,it just so happens my so called sinker is a bullet and the posters were wrong" why do you even come here looking for help? Why not take that chip on your shoulder and skedaddle.

..and, if you want to learn about buttons, etc .. GET THE BOOKS! This isn't another government entitlement program whereby poor little castletonking cries,"i want my buttons identified" and poof.. they are identified. With your arrogance, I for the life of me, can't understand why anybody would go out of their way to help you with anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope,no makers mark,the jeweler wasnt able to tell me anything about it other than it is gold plated and in great condition for its age.
True. We often have to make "guesses" on this forum because we do not have the relic in hand to make an ID and pictures don't always tell the whole story. While we are sometimes wrong, I would like to point out that many of the "guesses" on this forum are right on the mark and most of the regular posters here are VERY knowledgeable in their given specialty. Glad to know you got an ID you are happy with on your bullet.

Nice assortment of button finds as well. I love that ball button. Does it have a makers mark? I found a silver one in southern VA. The mark attributed it to ones used on Virginia artillery officer jackets. Further research showed the property owner at the time of the Civil War had a son who was an officer in a Virginia Artillery unit.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Castleking,so what makes "your experts",so much more qualified then the gathering of folks here?

What is really funny is I told you in PM exactly what has been pointed out to you here by Creskol...."We dont GUESS,and specify when we do,if you dont like our answers get the books and gain the experience your self like we did.I guess I should be honored you refereed to me as a "Know it all",which I dont,but what is the difference between that and an expert?Which I am not either

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread