Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to tell how big it is but spanish silver for sure. maybe 1 reale?

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
"Carolus" on the coin leaves no doubt that it is Spanish (or one of the Spanish colonies in the Americas). They're often holed like yours. There has been speculation that the hole was for stringing it so it would be safer from loss it's so tiny and easy to drop.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Carolus" on the coin leaves no doubt that it is Spanish (or one of the Spanish colonies in the Americas). They're often holed like yours. There has been speculation that the hole was for stringing it so it would be safer from loss it's so tiny and easy to drop.
Just for info British Coins have Carolus on them. (but I know this is Spanish)

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just for info British Coins have Carolus on them. (but I know this is Spanish)

Spanish it is, but not only did Britain use the term on its coinage too… so did a number of other countries/empires at various times. It’s just the Latinised equivalent for ‘Charles’.

[As an aside, if/when our current Prince Charles inherits the throne he should in theory become Charles III and, if he follows tradition, adopt the Latin title for coinage as “Carolus III”. Looks unlikely he’ll do that and, in any case, he has previously indicated he would be keen to use his middle name and become “George VII” as a tribute to his grandfather. Even if he did, that still leaves the question of whether his coinage title would be “Georgius VII”. The question didn’t arise for Elizabeth because it doesn’t really have a Latin equivalent.]

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are my find from this morning. Can anyone identify the silver? I'm assuming it is Spanish; either way, whatever it is, it's a first.
Nice piece of Spanish Silver!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the education about "Carolus"! I'd never seen it except on the Spanish coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread