Buy what you can afford and use it very simple no explanation needed

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People on this planet piss me off, why because I’m not here to judge any person on here. As a matter of fact I thank many people on here for there information which some helps and some don’t. Point is we all live in different parts of this America, what that means we all find different stuff because that’s just the way it is. You live on eastern ocean well guess what I’m not going to find your sunken treasure ship stuff in western Pennsylvania you get my drift. Learning curves are needed to operate at full speed I call it, to some people say learn heck with it. I’ve spoke enough. Don’t ***** and moan some of us on here are not made of money, and those of you that can throw away 1000 or more good for you. Let’s share our experiences and knowledge, without a doubt my thoughts for you are this learn your machine, study your area best you can it only serves you better, unless your just having random fun. Good luck we all need it. What a great hobby that keeps me going, history is real folks let’s keep it alive, thankyou

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to agree, too many preachers and brand trashers these days, as if spending 5 x more on a detector equates to finding 5x more gold rings and old coins.
It doesn't, never did and never will - No matter what machine you use, the cost or brand, persistence, patience, research and luck are the main factors finding items.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
xRay,
"....persistence, patience, research and luck are the main factors finding items."
Amen to that !
Don.​

Further, I think there will come a point, if we are not there already, when all these new fangled features and technologies will actually be counter productive.
Guys that think they can tune out/ID a bottle cap, pulltab or foil without fail are doubtlessly passing up on some goodies, which us dig it all guys will happily scoop up behind them.

Don't get me wrong, I love tech and discrimination has its purpose and comes in handy sometimes, and I have long been to the point where I can call out a pulltab with pretty good accuracy, but I think in most circumstances a simple beep will do, pinpoint profile to minimize the size of the hole you have to dig, and dig it up. To me every beep is like an Xmas present or lotto ticket, you never truly know what you have until you open it up [or scratch it off], and that is a large part of my enjoyment of the hobby. Go to analyzing things, second guessing yourself, constantly agonizing whether to dig or not sounds like an unnecessary hassle to me, an unpleasant task instead of an enjoyable pursuit.
Guys like Cabash are over thinking things IMO, and really are almost trying to take the man out of the man+machine equation, as if the machine itself is the whole ballgame, and you are there like some bot to guide it around until it chirps and chimes just right - And don't forget to factor in target id and to double wiggle your coil on the left edge while circling the target from all angles before deciding to dig or not !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, A lot of people with lower end detectors, have found a lot of nice items. All you have to do, is learn your detector and do the research so you are hunting in older places. No time for trash talk, when we should be out digging ! History is still out there, we just have to dig it.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is this then please inform us all so we can make better decisions, just the price always justify the machine is made better, we don’t really honestly no how much better. Look like any product on the market you can’t stand still, cars, computers will offer a little more improved product if they didn’t WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS. ANY IMPROVEMENT COMES WITH A COST INCREASE. IM NO EXPERT ON ANYTHING TO TELL YOU WHAT YOUR IMPROVEMENT WILL RESULT IN PERFORMANCE. only the engineers no really what they did, I wish they would be truthful on the frequencies though. I’d say most machines wholesale cost 50 % less than retail, could be wrong, mark up in this industry note sure compared to what I no in retail. But if usa made is strictly out of reach because of labor ost something wrong. Research and development in making the first product I understand but everything after that is assembly line situation. If I’m wrong please explain I won’t be mad, thankyou

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is this then please inform us all so we can make better decisions, just the price always justify the machine is made better, we don’t really honestly no how much better. Look like any product on the market you can’t stand still, cars, computers will offer a little more improved product if they didn’t WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS. ANY IMPROVEMENT COMES WITH A COST INCREASE. IM NO EXPERT ON ANYTHING TO TELL YOU WHAT YOUR IMPROVEMENT WILL RESULT IN PERFORMANCE. only the engineers no really what they did, I wish they would be truthful on the frequencies though. I’d say most machines wholesale cost 50 % less than retail, could be wrong, mark up in this industry note sure compared to what I no in retail. But if usa made is strictly out of reach because of labor ost something wrong. Research and development in making the first product I understand but everything after that is assembly line situation. If I’m wrong please explain I won’t be mad, thankyou

Cost basis, the products have a limited customer base not like products that everyone uses.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting into arguments about who has the biggest, best machine is just plain dumb. THE POINT IS TO HAVE FUN!

49ER12 you should have a lot of opportunities for detecting in western Pennsylvania. There was a lot of fur trade activity form the 15th century and later to Rev War activity, on the northern end, War of 1812 activity, Pittsburgh was settled very early. Up and down the Ohio river there were innumerable American Indian settlements. General Braddock made history going through western PA. It's there. You have to find it. AND it's not that far to the Atlantic if you're ever game. Frankly, I'd detect PA first. Those Atlantic beaches are so hit and miss. I have found 1 shipwreck coin for about every 15 or so times I have driven 150 miles each way and tried!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a Garrett Freedom Ace turn on and go machine and boy did I find a lot of good stuff with it. It was a good machine. It just got wore out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread