cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the best you can afford. Digging in weeds, mud, and rocks can be pretty hard on a scoop. The best out there right now IMO, are the Sunspot Stealth scoops, and the ones made by Xtreme Scoops. A step down the price and quality ladder gets you into the Stavr and RTG's. Personally, I don't like the aluminum scoops as a regular tool because the baskets are too small, they don't sift as well, and the leading edge is too blunt and doesn't push into the ground as easily. If you do get one (i like them as a travel scoop), I recommend adding a stainless lip to the leading edge to help in that regard.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a time saver
001.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And bright too.... aint gonna lose that one. heh

You can also use it for candy collection on Halloween...
Just paint a jack-o-lantern face on it and your good to go.

Almost looks like you made it from the Guinness Book Of World Records... "Largest Orange".

If you break down on your way to metal detect you can set it out on the road for safety.

If at the beach and water hunting and get swept out to sea you would be found in minutes.

:P

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
D

digger15

Greenie
Sep 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys, going to order one after work. Can't wait to hit the water!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great for a lake or calm bay. Not so useful in the surf.
Yeah not good in high surf but.By placing it on the waters edge w/a couple shovels or scoops full of sand it stays put.
I've used it on ocean beaches in 3 states w/o problems.Also it sifts 2 to 3 x more sand than any scoop out there( w/in the same time-frame) :)

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the best you can afford. Digging in weeds, mud, and rocks can be pretty hard on a scoop. The best out there right now IMO, are the Sunspot Stealth scoops, and the ones made by Xtreme Scoops. A step down the price and quality ladder gets you into the Stavr and RTG's. Personally, I don't like the aluminum scoops as a regular tool because the baskets are too small, they don't sift as well, and the leading edge is too blunt and doesn't push into the ground as easily. If you do get one (i like them as a travel scoop), I recommend adding a stainless lip to the leading edge to help in that regard.
Great post with very good information

pulltaboo

Jul 29, 2022
North GA
Massively depends on your fitness level and duration/frequency of your hunts. Hauling around a steel scoop all day long can be challenging. I'm used to steel scoops, but some find them too heavy… For "weekend warriors" who are not in their best shape, aluminium scoops are perfectly fine. Yes, they break and wear out faster than steel. But they're also much cheaper.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And bright too.... aint gonna lose that one. heh

You can also use it for candy collection on Halloween :P

Just paint a jack-o-lantern face on it and your good to go :)

Almost looks like you made it from the Guinness Book Of World Records... "Largest Orange".

If you break down on your way to metal detect you can set it out on the road for safety.

If at the beach and water hunting and get swept out to sea you would be found in minutes.

:P
RTR... i love the basket... good job on it.

Lammi

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massively depends on your fitness level and duration/frequency of your hunts. Hauling around a steel scoop all day long can be challenging. I'm used to steel scoops, but some find them too heavy… For "weekend warriors" who are not in their best shape, aluminium scoops are perfectly fine. Yes, they break and wear out faster than steel. But they're also much cheaper.
I have torn up two stealth scoops
had one repaired and decided to buy a angled one thought it would make it easier
problem is 20 plus years digging with a straight scoop conditioned to it
straight scoop torn up again and now forced to use angled one and it’s causing knee issues from digging different
I believe Chuck retired, need to find replacement that will fit stealth diameter car in fiber handle
PS Buying carbine fiber handle was a huge upgrade, pure pulling power with no give
This time the tube the handle slides into is cracking all around so not repairable

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good welder can repair most anything on a scoop.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, and a lot easier to fix SS than aluminum too.
And most cases, cheaper these days than shipping costs to send it back under warranty. Plus, it you use it often, you'll be scoopless for a while if you ship it for repair.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And most cases, cheaper these days than shipping costs to send it back under warranty. Plus, it you use it often, you'll be scoopless for a while if you ship it for repair.
Correct sir. :icon_thumright: I would buy a titanium scoop because they are lighter, but they are even more expensive..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd like to get some feedback from those who have bought a titanium one. The last time I looked on Xtreme's site, I didn't see it offered. I was always curious to know how it would hold up. Titanium is light and strong for sure, but, how is it with metal fatigue and wear? I know when find titanium rings, they always look worn and pitted. The scoop might not have the same alloy as a ring, but, the question of durability still remains in my mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread