cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that they didn't have a "Wear" test. They sort of dance around the subject a bit, and hit on related tests including the fact that titanium will "scratch" easier than stainless, but, actual wear is not defined. It's also interesting to note that they claim most stainless steel alloys are better in the yield, tensile, and shear tests than titanium. I also didn't see anything mentioned about metal fatigue as such. Take two trips of both metals, the same thickness, and flex/bend them both to the same angle repeatedly. See which one breaks first. My bet is that titanium would break first, but, that's just a guess from a total ignoramus on the subject. Looks like welding titanium is a bit trickier too, and may take someone with that specialty to perform it......more $$$ probably. Ok, so much for the lab tests, what are you folks with titanium scoops finding out in the real world of detecting equipment torture? Are they holding up better than stainless, and how much better? Worth the extra cost? I guess I could probably call John at Xtreme and get his input, but, as much as I like him, it's probably going to be a biased opinion. I'd rather have lots of user input.

Lammi

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, and a lot easier to fix SS than aluminum too.
I would repair if it was only the tip, it’s actually just starting to bugger up
but I noticed some give then saw whole tube that carbon fiber handle slides into is spitting in multiple places

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am going to try water detecting and I am wondering what scoop to buy to start . Sandy, weedy and sometimes river rocky freshwater beaches, I'll go out as far as I can in the water. Have an at gold detector. I have found an old beach with alot of potential I believe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Nokta Makro Premium Sand Scoop for Metal Detecting
$91.91
Well, this is what I bought. It is really nice, you can put your own shaft in it and make that as long as you like. You can also buy the handle that is sold separately at the time I bought mine.
JT
MD Scoup Malko.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta Makro Premium Sand Scoop for Metal Detecting
$91.91
Well, this is what I bought. It is really nice, you can put your own shaft in it and make that as long as you like. You can also buy the handle that is sold separately at the time I bought mine.
JT View attachment 2045971
Interesting design allowing you to change the angle of the basket, but, it doesn't look near strong enough to hold up to the use I'd put it to.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting design allowing you to change the angle of the basket, but, it doesn't look near strong enough to hold up to the use I'd put it to.

I agree, IMHO not nearly strong enough for constant wet sand use for me.

Last edited:

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So I am going to try water detecting and I am wondering what scoop to buy to start . Sandy, weedy and sometimes river rocky freshwater beaches, I'll go out as far as I can in the water. Have an at gold detector. I have found an old beach with alot of potential I believe. Any advice would be

greatly appreciated!!
After you find the scoop you like look into these suggestions! I have all of these for wading.

1670356983355.png
1670357069554.png
1670357191076.png

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using a 'scoop' on this stuff. You might dig thru it- eventually- but the scoop holes are soon useless :laughing7:
194.JPG
196.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to keep in mind when buying a good scoop, pay $200 for good scoop and you can sell it 5 years later for $150 all day long, I have done so...

Reactions: ARC

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, just saw this....i used it for 2 summers. Love it. used it in water and beaches. No problem. I suppose if you used it every day or very often, you may have a point.
JT

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is... and has been... my only non custom made scoop endorsement.
Made right here in my area.

New Scoop#2.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. that is tough. did you find anything good?
I do not own one of those... but if i was going to buy one i would contact him and have one made to my specs and or buy one.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using a 'scoop' on this stuff. You might dig thru it- eventually- but the scoop holes are soon useless :laughing7: View attachment 2058535 View attachment 2058536
RTR... the adage of "to each their own" definitely applies to this picture.

no offense... BUT... But you know me ... i tell it like it is.

That shovel is a slow... inefficient... back breaking... knee bending... painful toy.

I would almost rather not dig than to use that.

Reactions: RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTR... the adage of "to each their own" definitely applies to this picture.

no offense... BUT... But you know me ... i tell it like it is.

That shovel is a slow... inefficient... back breaking... knee bending... painful toy.

I would almost rather not dig than to use that.
Maybe, you need to toughen up :laughing7::occasion14: Try doing this
220.JPG
w/a "Scoop" :headbang:

• Sad

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, you need to toughen up :laughing7::occasion14: Try doing this View attachment 2058979 w/a "Scoop" :headbang:
Believe me when i tell you... i can EASILY dig that hole with my scoop... no problem... and faster and less pain than that shovel.

Trust me... i have dug with every thing you can imagine over my long years of playing in dirt.

Furthermore....... i would love to see you hit water and then recover... and at real depth... that is a baby hole... heh

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me when i tell you... i can EASILY dig that hole with my scoop... no problem... and faster and less pain than that shovel.

Trust me... i have dug with every thing you can imagine over my long years of playing in dirt.

Furthermore....... i would love to see you hit water and then recover... and at real depth... that is a baby hole... heh
LOL .that reply didn't take long.Guess I hit something better than water:headbang::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread