Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy folks, I'm on a budget but looking to add a few more medieval coins to my collection... I don't want anything expensive, but just a few easily recognizable old coins. I think they're neat and make history a lot more tangible. I've heard of people having bad experiences on ebay with fakes and bad sellers but how big of an issue is it really? I've been looking at a couple of miscelaneous lots in auctions like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANCE-Lot...262541?hash=item595d87aecd:g:Xz8AAOSwPGBfuGeE on ebay. I don't have much experience in the world of non-us/canadian coins but most of these lots seem to go for 15-60 dollars, good deal or no-go? I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know much about those coins, but I have dealt with that seller before with no complaints whatsoever.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought rolls of new quarters looking for the W mint mark quarters. The only time I've wanted a type coin, I have bought slabbed and graded ones only, and prefer PCGS. A few years ago I bought a Spanish pillar dollar because I wanted one for a type collection and I like the colonial stuff, having found a few cobs over the years and some pistareens. I sat it down on a shelf for a couple weeks and it started to RUST. So only slabbed and graded coins for me! I rarely buy coins off the net. I rarely buy coins at all.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
i'd start with a call to my local coin dealer and ask him for his recommendation for sources that sell what I am looking for.
Then I'd contact those sources and tell them my local coin dealer recommended me to you.
Don.....

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks folks! Given the sellers very positive reviews I decided to just bid low on a small lot, I won it for about 15 bucks so if I end up with counterfeits or something I won't be down too much. I think I'll try asking the people at one of the local coin shops sometime about good sources for buying these sort of coins as well but for some reason I have an unjustified distrust of the people at the nearest coin shop. Thanks again, I'll post a pic or two of the coins I got if you'd like to see em. I might need your help ID'ing one Don.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
check their feed back numbers and percentage. Look at the sellers other items. read their feedback. know your subject area as well as you can...educate yourself. buy certified coins. look for great dealers with sterling reputations like these guys... https://www.numiscorner.com/

i have bought a lot of coins off the internet and have never been taken, MOST folk are honest.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I got my coins! The left one is in pretty rough shape but I believe it is a Henri II de Navarre Liard (1541-1555), the one on the right is a Philippe VI double tournois (1337-1340), and I still need help with the middle one. I think it is dated 15 or 1622 and closely resembles this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces148490.html from Burgundy.
IMG_3717.jpg IMG_3716.jpg
I've been constantly checking the mail for the last week or so haha.

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got my coins! The left one is in pretty rough shape but I believe it is a Henri II de Navarre Liard (1541-1555), the one on the right is a Philippe VI double tournois (1337-1340), and I still need help with the middle one. .. View attachment 1884677 View attachment 1884678 ...

Nice group of coins but there is no middle coin in a group of six, so I'm not sure which one you are referring to.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice group of coins but there is no middle coin in a group of six, so I'm not sure which one you are referring to.
Sorry my bad, that's two photos. I put a space in between them.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe the third coin was minted in either 1337 or 1340; none were minted in 1338 or 1339. Neither coin was dated and it takes someone above my pay grade to determine the difference; which exists.
Don.....

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks. I should have noticed that but with the thin one rotated and slightly different sizes between the two groups, I thought there were 6. LOL

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Don, that's a very close match, from the limited details on my coin it's definitely the shield of Philip IV but the obverse is a little different. Do you think this is just a variety of the 1/2 patagon you sent?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The difference may be caused by another mint minting the same coin. Both Brussels and Antwerp minted patagons. Then again, I don't know the diameter of your coin. Could it be a patagon of a different denomination?
Don.....

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patagons were also minted in 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8th fractions.
Don...
True, I guess I'll have to estimate it's diameter to figure out the denomination. Thanks for pointing that out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread