C.S.N.S

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys I am new to the forum and loading up a few items for identification if possible. Here is what I know about this one. It is about the size of a dime. It is about the same thickness of a dime. On the front it has the letters C.S.N.S at the top. In the middle it has a sheild with a horse to the right of it and to the left of it. At the top of the sheild has a eagle sitting down on it. There are 3 ribbons one under the left horses foot that I can't make the word out. One under the right horses foot that reads liberty. And the third and final one above the date 1907 and it reads independence.

When turned over to the back it has 2 marks on it one at the top and one at the bottom. I am 99% sure on this one that it used to be a pin with the needle missing and the hoop that holds the needle down are gone. In the middle it reads just like this. 14K Dieges & Clust Co. 1123 Chestnut St Phila. I know very little about the company other than they did really important millitary peices and historical figures. They were the Tiffany co of there time. This may be a custom peice because they did alot of work like that. Maybe this is why I'm having a tough time figuring exactly who it was for and what it represents. From a few sources who have seen it before believe it to be a confederates states navy seal pin or button. It makes sence but I still have never gotten a definite on it.

If anyone out there could shed some light on this one would be great. Thanks to all that view and hopefully I'll hear something soon. HH Jeremy.

Attachments

• csns 2.jpg
    csns 2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 191
  • csns 2 back.jpg
    csns 2 back.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
O.k Thanks Mike. I see you live in P.a and would know this info. I was unaware of it myself. That does help me somemore in the determining of this item. Thanks for poping in and leaving me a response.

HH Jeremy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Au. But that is the same post from me just on another web site. Had to put it up on 3 different web sites to see if anyone knew about it. I am involved in alot of internet metal detecting forums. The main one you can view alot of the stuff I have found is on dfxonly. I like this website. It is professional and seems to be alot of knowledged treasure hunters here that are willing to help. You'll see more of me in the future. Thanks again guys take care Jeremy.

Upvote 0

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I would guess it is a pin given to an officer or someone working for or with the state for recognition of some sort. maybe a gift for so many years of service or a retirement gift. It sounds like something this state would give for a retiremant, lol.

mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks again mike. That is the exact picture on the item. That is also the first time I have seen that too. Thanks for your help man I appreciate it. That is the first time I have actually seen a picture of what it was on the front of the item. Now just to see what it was for or who it was given to for what reasons. May very well be a custom peice just made for someone who served in some kind of millitary unit.

Thanks again HH Jeremy.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea BUT, Here is a 1907 post card, LOCK HAVEN , PA. Normal School Pennant.

Attachments

• 313cnct07.jpg
    313cnct07.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Jeff, I think you are exactly right on that. Man your good. Now maybe I can do some more research on the school to see what they were about. Unless you already know. With the csns on that pennant makes alot of sence. As I did some research about the company who made the item. I got 6 locations were they did buisness. One was in pittsburgh, chicago, providence, newyork,and 2 others detroit maybe and one other place I can't recall. None said anything about the address of 1123 chestnut st philadelphia. The peices that this company cast when they were in buisness were expensive at the time. They also said that these peices are cherished as family heirlooms. And were passed down through the generations. I was able to find a pin from the 1920's made by the same company. At a antique web site. It was a custom desighn pin with 2 old english letters on the front of it. They said it was rare and wanted somewere around 250.00 for it. I thought the day I dug it I finally hit my first gold coin. But I would say it was almost just like finding a 1 dollar gold coin. Thanks for your guys help on the forum here. If you can come up with anything else through some of the stuff that I know of would be great.

Thanks again Jeremy.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread