Caballo followup - stone maps?

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
The a-fore mentioned RD stone. I found some info in my collection that might shed light, if it's old Spanish. The RD on the stone probably means that someone later than the inscriber checked it out and found nothing. The R means is "just nothing there" and the D means about the same thing, or 4. By itself could mean "?" or incomplete. I'd interpret it to say "we checked it out and found nothing, but look if you wish too".
Remember the Jesuits tryed to hide and mislead the other "orders" as well as the politicos and army after Spain ordered them out. Seems reasonable to believe that after checking false maps out, the "others" would render them with a "been here, done that - nothing found" inscription...

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
could be. The whole thing could be a modern rock promoting some ones ideas or (Mine the investor).

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
Back up to Captbil's post of the Turtle.. (I was gonna answer but we got on other topics) On this kind of marker if there is light under or around it, a peep hole, it means it's likly a trail marker in, and to use the nose to the next mark. It should have a verifying mark like a ^ < > v close by pointing to the nose to verify. Probably on its left side.
If there is no "peep" or v then its probably a general trail or out mark to a "highway".
The Spanish had trained "trail makers" solely responsible for making monuments; their full time job. They marked every repeatable trail. 12-14 hours a day, 365 days a year; less religico and weather. They were in there for 200 years. Imagine....
They accomplished amazing feats. Moved huge rocks for miles.
They sometimes used odd colored rocks, or rocks brought from elsewhere to "catch" attention, then would be a marker close by. They actually chipped some, but usually stacked rocks to look a special way. Look for hearts (<3) as a monument or as a pointer. A heart means gold at the end of the trail. A 5 or V or circle of 5 dots could be silver.
The more important something was, the more trails was needed. Usually always had more than 1.
Look for "bird signs" looks like some variation of a lazy 3 or m. Rarely horizontal (although I have pictures of horizontal) a line from wingtip to wing tip projected out from the bird is the wat to turn or go.
Look for "A" means start here or go to, maybe a pointer too. T could be cross or trail marker, also possible marker along long shaft. R is deserted, nothing, no good, bad etc., like 6. F is end or final or by the Jesuits sometimes a reference to "Dios". Also could point toward the long shaft line. O's have many different meanings depending on Boldness and how many o dots or solid dots or rings or lines are with/in them.... The Franciscans used 7 as a rest place, the Jesuits used it more as gold, thus markers can vary some depending who, when, and where. Good Hunting!
G7

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
What's your input on this
It's located on the West side of the Caballos

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 1,600
OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
Hey CptBil,
Maybe nothing, but I also noticed that on the rear bottom of your turtle maybe an arrowhead pointing down, (see shadow line) look that direction and also a backward C above it. Might look at the C to see if it's cut out, and if so use it as a sight line to something else, (like looking through a pipe) probably another trail if it is.... longer but easier...

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
G.7 :
Doc & I, have had a few ( MORE! :tongue3: ) delays !
But!
We're hoping to make it out to The Caballos in a couple more weeks

Any Chance of meeting up for a :coffee2: ?

How's about over at "IHOP" ? :icon_profileleft:

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
Hey CptBil!
I am working at my "other" job right now... if I get caught up in time I'll give you a shout - would enjoy that java!
\/

G7

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
Hey CptBil - one other thing.. if yall come up with any numbers or variation or numbers in the field, give me a shout. Back in about '88 I figured out (primarily Jesuit) how to break numbers codes as they relate to directions, although anything under 40 or over 25oo is usually a distance. Anyway just keep it in mind. I thought of it cause I've been working on table of it for my book....
G7

T-hunters brain teasers: A T
((I))CCC((I)) = 8.85 miles
CCCXV = Northwest
V = Silver
4 X = "water" related
40 = ?
ll or // or \\ or [=] equals 200 vara
> ! = 101 v

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
I hope so!
I have some COMPLETELY RELIABLE information :)
About the entrance to a cavern system on TOP OF THE CABALLOS :thumbsup:
If it goes down as far as I think, that "Dude" has got to be some ! THOUSANDS ! of FEET DEEP! :o
The party who found this never went into it
As they were working on a Spanish Mine!
GOT! A LONG, LONG, L O N G Rope ??? :tongue3:

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
the west side mark in ash caynon is questonable.
As for a deep cave, well such can be done in stages.

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
DEEP... Ms. P said her 105 year old grandmother told her (when she was a young girl) of a large natural cave wherein her people mined inside. Silver could supposedly be cut out with special axes in one place. She said it had a natural draft through it, and it carried the inside smoke away from the smelter and camp fires. Also had a small spring of good water, closer to the entrance. Workers were able to live inside in the Winter because the temps were mild, as long as those assigned to wood hauling could keep up. It supposedly ran many different directions and some went very deep. The "bowels" I think I remember being told said she called it. 2 entrances, and several draft chimneys. The one entrance was amost a crawl space for about 30 feet at a down angle and then broke into a much larger space. A pile of Silver slag just inside.... Living quarters for the Religico inside too. Anyway look for an odd opening; the stone "door" is or was supposed to be fixed on some kind of "hinge". I'd bet it's been blownup or caved in however. The "chimneys" may be the key.

Geographically it could be. The Strata layers run a steep angle to the east, more or less parrallel to the surface terrain on the east side. It would be unusual for a natural cave system to "cut through" other sub-straights. i.e. Limestone through Granite or Basalt and so on; especially the iron in the volcanic layer.... a dike, break or fault might be the only exception, then water could cut through in time but would cut at a different geologic time rate. It would cut lime faster (in time); iron slow.
I've done alot of rapplelling. I've got 4 harness's; 2 - 100 and 200 foot ropes; slings; jumars; carabiners; headlamps and light packs. 1 small air pack.
If you open it, let it breath for a few days...

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
Hey LostCauses
Did ya ever get a chance to check out that "Red" thing I emailed ya?
Good Hunting
G7

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
G.& & LostCauses:
All I was told was;
The the air coming out was really cold....
This person didn't say/know if it goes straight down or at an angle
As far as "opening it" , to let it breath,
It is already and has been opened, very slightly, for quite some yrs!
So!
Are you guys interested ? :icon_scratch:
This could easliy be Doc & Mine, 1st stop !
I have also been told by a local rancher/friend about another crevice near one of his
windmills
It has some very strange wriitings and symbols on the walls
He and his son didn't follow it very far
Because, as they turned a corner, They Ran Into Something !!! :tongue3:
Something!, ::)
No one would normally
OR!
Anyway, Believe! ... :o
It blocked their way!
I intend to photo it!
Interested ? :icon_scratch:

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
G.7:
As per your spelunking equipment goes,
All that you mentioned is very good for GOING DOWN! :thumbsup:
But!
Do "U" have a couple of " ascenders " ? ;D

In case, we don't find a ground level exit ! :tongue3:

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
Cptbil - fyi Here's what the Mountain looks like inside, unfortunately these went until they were no longer passible; just got too small. But there was air movement like it was breathing; and comfortable. But it felt very "hollow".
G7

Attachments

• 1Cavedown.jpg
    1Cavedown.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Cave5.jpg
    Cave5.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,681
OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
I used to wonder why you hear the stories about how somebody found a cave, yet failed to explore it, decided to come back later.. or get somebody else. It's fine as long as you can walk in and know exactly where you came in; but think about it... when it gets small and tight; and steep. How easy would it be to squeeze through this hole? Physically? Mentally? Not knowing if and who is watching? What if the batteries died? what if the rope came loose? Yall be careful!

Attachments

• Cave5lowerladder.jpg
    Cave5lowerladder.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,822
OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
To come down is easy; it's the going up! Me doing what I love.. And Dad.
Hey Cbil
Yep... the Jumars are those rachet type asenders. You put a foot sling on them and hold one while you slide the other up the rope, step up and repeat... Hey.. ITs STILL VERY DIFFICULT. I also have about 100 feet of steel ladders in 10 ft joints up there....
G7

Attachments

• Dad1.jpg
    Dad1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,585
  • Me5.jpg
    Me5.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,582
  • MeRapple.jpg
    MeRapple.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,538
  • ThisWay.jpg
    ThisWay.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,572

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
G7
It's been many, many yrs since I last did "rope work" :tongue3:
And!
I don't that think my partner, Doc, has done any
So!
I am thinking that we'll both have to go back to school ! :-\
Although, I 've had lots of experience, back a ways ..
I used to work for Magma Copper Co. ( 2 yrs) in Superior Az
As, "The Jr Geoglist" back in my college days
"MAGMA" is one of the HOTTEST Mines in the world
The "wall rock" after a "blast" is 160 * :tongue3:
That's HOT!
I used to be the "Tour Guide" :tongue3: for visiting engineers/geologists, etc
The mine at that time was 5000' deep :o
It was a real experience! let me tell You! :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread