Cache Hunting Tip

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Hunting Tip.
When gaining permission to detect old homestead and home sites, always remember that millions of Americans relied on post-hole banks or other hidden caches on their property for safekeeping their money and valuables, especially during the Great Depression and other uncertain times. Here's part of an old 1932 newspaper article that mentions that practice.
~Texas Jay
Arkansas post-hole banks - 1932.png

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Hunting Tip.
When gaining permission to detect old homestead and home sites, always remember that millions of Americans relied on post-hole banks or other hidden caches on their property for safekeeping their money and valuables, especially during the Great Depression and other uncertain times. Here's part of an old 1932 newspaper article that mentions that practice.
~Texas Jay
View attachment 2012132
You are 100% right on, Jay. My grandfather told me several stories about people burying their money. He said nobody trusted the banks back then. I listened intently and even put coins in a fruit jar and buried them. But within a few days I dug them up for we were poor so coins were needed if I wanted any treats.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I have fiends who bury money today! If you like cache hunting get yourself a copy of Karl Von Mueller's "Treasure Hunters Manual #6 or #7. These books are out of print but have all the best info on cache hunting, the post hole business is pretty well known and in the books along with a LOT of other good tips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I have fiends who bury money today! If you like cache hunting get yourself a copy of Karl Von Mueller's "Treasure Hunters Manual #6 or #7. These books are out of print but have all the best info on cache hunting, the post hole business ids pretty well known and in the books along with a LOT of other good tips.
Yes, I agree about Karl von Mueller's books. I read them all many years ago and bought a First Edition of "Treasure Hunters Manual #7" just a few years ago.
~Texas Jay
Fall 2017 015.JPG

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was once told that my great-grandfather hid his money in 2 places: the walls of his house which is long gone and near or under fence posts. That's one of the reasons I bought a detector back when we moved onto his farm. Since, I've searched some (not nearly enough) and found old fence lines running through the timbered area of the farm. Those fences didn't follow property lines but what I'm guessing was a timber line at one time. He kept it mostly in row crops or pasture for grazing. Those fence lines are high on my "at home" list to search out.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a baggy full of Kennedy halves between rte1 and I-95 IN Stafford Va , most likely a kids buried treasure.
back in the mid 1960s I buried some change and a coffee can in the woods in Fairfax county Va . they may still be there to this day but it's a 175 mile drive I won't be making to find out. anyone want to sniff this out can let me know and I'll try to get an address.

Zakon Krzyżacki

May 25, 2022
Your best chances for finding something like that are inside the house walls/floors.
An old early 70's BFO or Beat Frequency Oscillator metal detector is your best choice.
It will ignore the nails, simply because they are too small in mass.

That's the best knowledge that I can leave for future generations who Treasure Hunt!

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is "Cache hunting" in the 6 or 7 manual or are they different editions of the same book?
Yes, both Karl von Mueller books are packed with good information about cache hunting.
~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread