Cache of Gold or Ancient Artifacts: What Would You Choose?

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Between finding a cache of gold, which would have a known and set value, or finding a cache of ancient artifacts that would have an unknown and flexible value, what would you choose? On the one hand, you find gold, cash it in, pay or not pay the taxes and you have cash in your pocket. On the other hand, you find a cache of ancient artifacts that might not be worth a fortune, but could change our understanding of history. But at an auction they might bring in a fortune from someone who specifically collects things like that. Known or unknown; you just don't know. So would it be an easy choice? Hard choice? Now granted, there could be a lot of variability in the value between the two. So let's say that the maximum value of the gold is a cool $5 million, and the value of the artifact cache--"depending", could possibly be twice that. Or a fraction of that. It's Schrödinger's Cache all over again.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between finding a cache of gold, which would have a known and set value, or finding a cache of ancient artifacts that would have an unknown and flexible value, what would you choose? On the one hand, you find gold, cash it in, pay or not pay the taxes and you have cash in your pocket. On the other hand, you find a cache of ancient artifacts that might not be worth a fortune, but could change our understanding of history. But at an auction they might bring in a fortune from someone who specifically collects things like that. Known or unknown; you just don't know. So would it be an easy choice? Hard choice? Now granted, there could be a lot of variability in the value between the two. So let's say that the maximum value of the gold is a cool $5 million, and the value of the artifact cache--"depending", could possibly be twice that. Or a fraction of that. It's Schrödinger's Cache all over again.
Nice play on words there.Given all the trouble that many real treasure finders have had when actually finding something of this value I,d say give me a small cache,maybe 5 grand or so. At my age that,d be enough.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold. pirate.jpg

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Nice play on words there.Given all the trouble that many real treasure finders have had when actually finding something of this value I,d say give me a small cache,maybe 5 grand or so. At my age that,d be enough.

Well, technically there is no reason why the hypothetical can't be scaled to whatever amount necessary. So if it was a choice between a $5,000 gold cache or an artifact cache that might be worth up to $10,000, how would you decide? In a way it comes down to instant gratification vs. intangible, delayed gratification. Not to mention a touch of gambling.

Cash on the barrelhead it is! Not even being tempted by what's behind door #2...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, technically there is no reason why the hypothetical can't be scaled to whatever amount necessary. So if it was a choice between a $5,000 gold cache or an artifact cache that might be worth up to $10,000, how would you decide? In a way it comes down to instant gratification vs. intangible, delayed gratification. Not to mention a touch of gambling.

Cash on the barrelhead it is! Not even being tempted by what's behind door #2...
I gotta go with Terry,gold,too old to wait on a maybe.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold. There's a reason why it is so popular for thousands of years. Perceived value plus the added ability to change its form.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Gold. There's a reason why it is so popular for thousands of years. Perceived value plus the added ability to change its form.

That's true, and I can't argue with the logic of all the people who would choose gold over ancient artifacts. But I'm thinking that the "ability to change its form" is something that would play a big role in the scenario if you found gold bars. It would probably be kind of suspicious, and maybe even a bit difficult to cash them in. So you might have to melt them down and cast them into bite sized pieces to cash them in without drawing attention. 50 pound gold bars could be as difficult to convert into cash as would an ancient artifact. With ancient artifacts there are always collectors that would pay you cash, and would want the transaction to be as confidential as the seller would. I wonder what the ramifications would be if you found a collection of artifacts (let's say on your own property) that proved the ancient Egyptians were in the Americas 2,000-3,000 years ago? We have no laws regarding those kinds of antiquities. But I'm sure Egypt would chime in and try to claim them. The question is, what would the U.S. government do and how tough would it be to keep them from being seized? Because once they are seized, fighting the good fight comes out of your pocket and it's an uphill battle. Possession is 9/10 of the law. Submerge them from public view and you have a better chance of drawing in people to help you fight the powers that be.

Tintaint

Oct 25, 2021
Gold, 100%. Government would find a way to cease your artifacts and rip you off for their true worth. Then the government would probably fine you for disturbing sacred grounds in which you found the artifacts on. You all know how those crooks operate.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Hi
I'd take my chances with Crates of Water Logged Chines Porcelain..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread