D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who needs and instruction manual when Calabash does such awesome videos. I have learned so much about the Equinox by watching his videos.

Thank you Calabash you provide an awesome service to those of us that aren't quite sure if we're on the right track with our settings.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS guys...

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I figured Park would be good if you're hunting a yard and field is best for woods or cow pastures, which primarily seems like the areas you hunt, why do you chose park over field?

Tomorrow will be my first hunt with the Equinox in a cow pasture littered with Iron, I was going to use field 1

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its deeper..in my soil.

jimcline

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have relic settings for the 600? Do you think the 600 is a good machine for relic hunting?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash and I share similar detector setup and relic hunting philosophies so allow me to jump in here a sec and share some thoughts on the 600 and relic hunting.

Is the 600 a good relic hunting machine? Absolutely. However, compated to the 800 there are some minor limitations and missing features on the 600 that help enhance relic hunting for me.

You can mostly use Calabash's settings with the exception that you cannot modify the non-ferrous tone bins and you are limited in the top recovery speed settings which could limit maximum performance in thick iron/ thick trash situations but for 95% of the situations you encounter the 600 settings should be fine.

In the nice, but not necessary column, I like the 800's gold mode for certain relic hunting situations, especially in hot ground and the under-appreciated user defined profile button is especially helpful in allowing you to quickly switch between two favorite relic (or coin shooting) modes, handy when you are trying to interrogate an iffy signal.

It is nice the wireless audio accessories are included with Equinox but you can find compatible wireless headphones for the 600 for between $30 to $100.

My personal opinion is that if you can afford the 800, it is worth it to get it. Otherwise, the 600 will basically get the job done and many 600 users here are very successful and happy with their detector.

As far as Equinox relic hunting settings are concerned, little tweaking is required as the default settings are generally spot on. So I would suggest using either Park 2 (Calabash preference) or Field 2 (my preference) as the go to relic hunting modes. Startig out, the only thing I might change is shifting tones to 5 tones rather than 50 as you are starting out, then shift to 50 as you get used to the machine as 50 tones can give you a lot of nuanced audio information about prospective targets. Also, frequently make use the horseshoe button (no disc/all metal) to hear the iron (helps with iron falsing signals and IDing mixed ferrous/non-ferrous targets or non-ferrous targets near ferrous). A lot of folks hunt with no disc almost full time (me included), though it's an acquired taste. Lol.

The pinpoint feature can help you better determine if you are swinging over a large or small target.

Each mode needs to be separately noise cancelled and ground balanced.

I am sure a lot of this will not make immediate sense until you have an opportunity to swing an Equinox so you will likely have many more questions so fire away when ready.

HTH.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you made any changes to the relic program for the Deus with Hf coil?

Note that this is an Equinox thread/forum, but to answer your question - Calabash and I use similar Deus setups starting with Deus Fast, set disc up at about 7 to 10, give a little iron volume, and use pitch tones with the pitch frequency set to the highest tone setting. Use recovery speed of 2, 2.5, or 3 as desired for the conditions at hand (higher reactivity if you have high junk and target density). HTH.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note that this is an Equinox thread/forum, but to answer your question - Calabash and I use similar Deus setups starting with Deus Fast, set disc up at about 7 to 10, give a little iron volume, and use pitch tones with the pitch frequency set to the highest tone setting. Use recovery speed of 2, 2.5, or 3 as desired for the conditions at hand (higher reactivity if you have high junk and target density). HTH.

Being that this is an Equinox forum what are you using on the equinox for iron sights?

I am your grasshopper

Never mind v I just saw your post explaining it

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread