Calabash Test Debunked!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the same coil size.....not the same target and not the same distance between the target and nail (nail on the left)

NOTHING similar between the two videos.....Deus 2 not tested in this video.....nothing debunked.

Honda Civic vs a Corvette......anyone and everyone knows which machine has more performance......enough with the videos.....buy what you want and go detecting.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not the same coil size.....not the same target and not the same distance between the target and nail (nail on the left)

NOTHING similar between the two videos.....Deus 2 not tested in this video.....nothing debunked.

Honda Civic vs a Corvette......anyone and everyone knows which machine has more performance......enough with the videos.....buy what you want and go detecting.
so what you are trying to lead everyone to believe is because the gent in the video did not have the six inch coil on its not the same test

have news for you Tedyah the 6 inch coil on the Legend separates better then the 11 inch coil, which a six inch coil will seperate better on any detector, so yeah the gent in the video just debunked calabashes test hoss because he had the 11 inch coil mounted

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You nailed it...Home Depot nails and a gold coin the size of a quarter....People who ho dont test detector dont understand the nails and coin size MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what you are trying to lead everyone to believe is because the gent in the video did not have the six inch coil on its not the same test

have news for you Tedyah the 6 inch coil on the Legend separates better then the 11 inch coil, which a six inch coil will seperate better on any detector, so yeah the gent in the video just debunked calabashes test hoss because he had the 11 inch coil mounted
Funny you said that about the 6 inch coil separating better...I am going to do some videos on small coils vs bigger coils on separation........

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you said that about the 6 inch coil separating better...I am going to do some videos on small coils vs bigger coils on separation........
Wow! What Calabash's latest video with the bottle cap test just proved is that just because a manufacture releases a smaller coil doesn't mean it can out perform another machine with a larger coil. While in the past the smaller coil usually meant better separation (Assuming other settings being equal) we are seeing a new paradigm emerge in technology and coil design by XP. (Although an argument could be made that the coil design has always been superior by XP) You can see just how close he is able to get to a bottle cap (could have been any target probably of similar size) and still see the coin. Where as the Simplex smaller coil design is detecting outside the "scope" of the coil - hence the 6" coil is actually projecting a detecting range beyond the edges of the coil.

I still believe more testing needs to be done but this was an eye opener for sure! In my personal experience I did not feel like the 9" HF coil on the single freq ORX machine was as good as the 6" coil on the Nox at separation, although it was close. So that's a test I would like to see the 6" nox coil up against the 9" coil on the multi-freq DII.

I'll be honest this is a test I haven't really done in this manner before so I will be testing a few small coils like the Fishers F75 5" and my Etrac with a 7" lion coil to see how it performs. I know you should be able to get very close to the 2nd target - bottle cap in this test but at what sacrifice in terms of depth?

I've also recently discovered that a lot of machines will pass that test as long as the iron doesn't get to far above the target - so 1.5-2" for the nail is ok but at 3-4" or 2 2x4's and the machine will loose the target completely.

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
Calabash iv been trying to contact you ...iv been watching your videos on the legend...can I ask if you are so good and clued up at testing...why are you doing depth tests on the legend in park mode when field mode is a good 4 inches plus deeper it uses less filtering and the I'd is also more accurate at depth...please test machines properly before advertising misinformation!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash iv been trying to contact you ...iv been watching your videos on the legend...can I ask if you are so good and clued up at testing...why are you doing depth tests on the legend in park mode when field mode is a good 4 inches plus deeper it uses less filtering and the I'd is also more accurate at depth...please test machines properly before advertising misinformation!
I believe he is running in Park Mode because he is duplicating Paystreak's settings if you follow his channel as well his is or was the only one using the 6" coil in the U.S. - Also I don't believe he was worried about the ID so much as he was its ability to separate the targets. What there a specific test you were referring to though maybe I missed something?

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
I believe he is running in Park Mode because he is duplicating Paystreak's settings if you follow his channel as well his is or was the only one using the 6" coil in the U.S. - Also I don't believe he was worried about the ID so much as he was its ability to separate the targets. What there a specific test you were referring to though maybe I missed something?
The legend is certainly very close to the deus 2 ,so close I'm not getting a deus 2 because it looks no better than deus 1 really ....I'm a seasoned deus user who knows a damn site more than calabash ...I search proper land in the UK ,Roman medieval you name it iv got it...the legend performs just as well as deus 2 on these conditions so that's enough said....I would never use park mode is basically for the US where nothing's deep and there's very little history ....follow me on Instagram detectingguru see for yourself

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
The legend is certainly very close to the deus 2 ,so close I'm not getting a deus 2 because it looks no better than deus 1 really ....I'm a seasoned deus user who knows a damn site more than calabash ...I search proper land in the UK ,Roman medieval you name it iv got it...the legend performs just as well as deus 2 on these conditions so that's enough said....I would never use park mode is basically for the US where nothing's deep and there's very little history ....follow me on Instagram detectingguru see for yourself
Also the emi plays a massive
Also the legend separates very well if u drop tone break to 7-8 and use field mode....not park!!it's very deep at the same time....the little nuonces iv learnt aswell is the deep sounding 11s with no visual display on depth gauge can be and is normally a deep target...I learn machines properly !why this is I don't know but I quite like it it's certainly an advantage on deep targets visually

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tone break was dropped to 7...I was doing the test in park for the U.S.A coin hunters...If you think the Legend unmask as well as the Deus II you got a lot to learn....Legend is a good machine for 600.00 bucks and it is the best bang for the buck....If you want the best in iron it is a Deus II....Will be doing Beach test and Relic test on my hunt tomorrow.

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
Tone break was dropped to 7...I was doing the test in park for the U.S.A coin hunters...If you think the Legend unmask as well as the Deus II you got a lot to learn....Legend is a good machine for 600.00 bucks and it is the best bang for the buck....If you want the best in iron it is a Deus II....Will be doing Beach test and Relic test on my hunt tomorrow.
The deus 2 is not that much better if it is....iv got a permission right beside a DMV (deserted medieval village)in the UK and very close to an abbey....the fields are absolutely covered in iron completely and my legend was getting just as much as my mates deus 2...targets ranging from tiny bits of lead to big lead spindel whorls...it's a very capable machine ....deus 2 has only cost more to make that's why is £1399....you basically paying for the asthetics not the performance....there really isn't that much difference in performance certainly not £730 worth ....if my legend sees targets through a medieval village it sees anything

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The deus 2 is not that much better if it is....iv got a permission right beside a DMV (deserted medieval village)in the UK and very close to an abbey....the fields are absolutely covered in iron completely and my legend was getting just as much as my mates deus 2...targets ranging from tiny bits of lead to big lead spindel whorls...it's a very capable machine ....deus 2 has only cost more to make that's why is £1399....you basically paying for the asthetics not the performance....there really isn't that much difference in performance certainly not £730 worth ....if my legend sees targets through a medieval village it sees anything

I'm curious how you know the Legend was getting just as much as the Deus.

Much of my career involved scientific studies and statistics so I'm very familiar with what it takes to make a legitimate comparison.

If your comment is based on the fact that during your hunt the Deus didn't find any more targets than the Legend, but you weren't literally using one detector in a specified location, then, before digging anything, going over the same location with the second detector, you didn't compare anything at all. And even then the test would be biased in favor of the second detector because the location of the targets would already be known after using the first detector.

If tested in this way, the results would be an arguably more accurate, yet still anecdotal, comparison, as opposed to just counting how my targets you dug with your Legend vs how many your friend dug with the Deus. That comparison would be practically useless.

It wouldn't be difficult to actually set up a comprehensive blind-test between the two machines, or multiple machines, but no one has ever done so to my knowledge, at least not complete enough to be considered conclusive or at least plausibly in favor of one detector over another. I've yet to find a single comparison that isn't anecdotal although some of them can be considered helpful in at least a basic sense.

I'm not saying the Legend is better or wore than the Deus, just pointing out that personal anecdotes are not the same as legitimate testing.

My personal anecdote: As a Deus 1 user I have no desire to compare it to the Legend or any other detector, with the possible exception of the Deus 2. But that only means something to me and is most likely completely useless information to anyone else.

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
I understand you really have to make the deus 2 better...and I actually believe u are genuine...but the tests you do aren't really accurate at all ..the legend will keep up with deus 2 in most cases...it's better made than the nox and performs better to...more stable in iron and much deeper .....if the nox was built on the noktas shaft you'd of all been tugging off

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022

Much of my career involved scientific studies and statistics so I'm very familiar with what it takes to make a legitimate comparison.

If your comment is based on the fact that during your hunt the Deus didn't find any more targets than the Legend, but you weren't literally using one detector in a specified location, then, before digging anything, going over the same location with the second detector, you didn't compare anything at all. And even then the test would be biased in favor of the second detector because the location of the targets would already be known after using the first detector.

If tested in this way, the results would be an arguably more accurate, yet still anecdotal, comparison, as opposed to just counting how my targets you dug with your Legend vs how many your friend dug with the Deus. That comparison would be practically useless.

It wouldn't be difficult to actually set up a comprehensive blind-test between the two machines, or multiple machines, but no one has ever done so to my knowledge, at least not complete enough to be considered conclusive or at least plausibly in favor of one detector over another. I've yet to find a single comparison that isn't anecdotal although some of them can be considered helpful in at least a basic sense.

I'm not saying the Legend is better or wore than the Deus, just pointing out that personal anecdotes are not the same as legitimate testing.

My personal anecdote: As a Deus 1 user I have no desire to compare it to the Legend or any other detector, with the possible exception of the Deus 2. But that only means something to me and is most likely completely useless information to anyone else.
There's nothing scientific about using a detector...it's based off my own knowledge of the field and how I know other machines simply can't be used on it ...the nox for example just can't handle the amount of iron and minerals in the soil.....your point is useless and ignored

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022

And if also like to point out he was testing me with targets he thought I would struggle with and they all sounded better on mine than his 🤔😁I'm not saying the legend is better I'm saying it's just as good ...the only thing the legend needs adding is pitch audio like the old disc 2 modes from first core etc

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's nothing scientific about using a detector...it's based off my own knowledge of the field and how I know other machines simply can't be used on it ...the nox for example just can't handle the amount of iron and minerals in the soil.....your point is useless and ignored

Virtually everything about the development of a detector revolves around science. The use of any detector is personal experience and has little to do with science. Ignoring this does not change reality.

I agree my point is useless to anyone who'd rather rely solely on anecdotes and ignore the science that was used to develop and test the machines in the first place. Ignoring the science doesn't change the facts.

Personal experiences vary by the person. Your experiences are not other's. Testing should be designed to ignore personal experiences.

I don't argue points on forums, only offer information that others can choose to ignore or contemplate and research on their own. You've chosen to ignore it, fine with me.

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
Virtually everything about the development of a detector revolves around science. The use of any detector is personal experience and has little to do with science. Ignoring this does not change reality.

I agree my point is useless to anyone who'd rather rely solely on anecdotes and ignore the science that was used to develop and test the machines in the first place. Ignoring the science doesn't change the facts.

Personal experiences vary by the person. Your experiences are not other's. Testing should be designed to ignore personal experiences.

I don't argue points on forums, only offer information that others can choose to ignore or contemplate and research on their own. You've chosen to ignore it, fine with me.
Science and technology have nothing to do with competition ...they all have equal technology bto there disposal

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe that there are any two detectors that are worth coming to "fisticuffs" over. Fella's, just go out and enjoy detecting for the sake of detecting itself. Jeepers....

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple iron nails with a target tucked in between them...ONE detector goes beep beep and the other does not. Which one is more likely to find a target in a thousand iron nails? The Legend is good but the Deus has better iron see thur...3d elevated iron capabilities...You can argue that till the sheep come home and it will not change the fact.
Get your Go pro out...I am headed out for a hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread