CalfCreek Culture East Tx

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In east tx, Calf Creek, Andice, and Bell were all made and found in mixed context indicating they are variants of the the same culture. In some cases a point will have one Andice notch and one Bell notch.

These points with both barbs intact are extremely rare. As a matter of fact many barbs were broken during the notching process and I have quite a few examples in my study frames. The natives certainly used them well after the ear damage. Often, one side was resharpened until that ear was worked off Enjoy

Attachments

• Resized_20210509_150638.jpeg
    Resized_20210509_150638.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Resized_20210509_150541.jpeg
    Resized_20210509_150541.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Resized_20210509_151254.jpeg
    Resized_20210509_151254.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Resized_20210509_151155.jpeg
    Resized_20210509_151155.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Resized_20210509_151224.jpeg
    Resized_20210509_151224.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought of it before, but what was the function of having such a long delicate ear?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Very nice relics. Amazing notching.

Could this one have been clipped purposely?
Clipboard01.jpg

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a gorgeous collection. Have you seen or found a complete one?

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll venture a guess it had to do with securing the point to the various soft tissue structures within the animal as it darted away. Essentially a hook like function similar to our rattlesnake points out here that have the downward pointing notch. Also, damage would be occurring to blood vessels as the point moved to and fro within the prey, making its death come sooner. Part time saver, part respect for the hunted.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1924558

No sir. Note the different debth and angle of the notches. He split both off while notching it. It was well used and resharpened even though the ears were gone. Good eye. That one really tells a story.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a gorgeous collection. Have you seen or found a complete one?

We found one g10 perfect example... unfortunately we no longer know where it might be. Long story but I watch for it to turn up in a high end collection. I know of maybe 10 complete first stage examples . A couple of those are suspect. A first stage complete would buy a very nice new truck. Even points like these with a little restoration are highly collectable . I never restore them. I think the usage tells the story.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll venture a guess it had to do with securing the point to the various soft tissue structures within the animal as it darted away. Essentially a hook like function similar to our rattlesnake points out here that have the downward pointing notch. Also, damage would be occurring to blood vessels as the point moved to and fro within the prey, making its death come sooner. Part time saver, part respect for the hunted.

That would make sense, I could believe it

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think those are one of the few types that breakage was planned/accepted.

Those long ears break off on all but very few points, and I don't think I've ever seen a heavily used example that still has both ears intact, so when they are restored from a nub with big long ears they end up looking a little wonky.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those are one of the few types that breakage was planned/accepted.

Those long ears break off on all but very few points, and I don't think I've ever seen a heavily used example that still has both ears intact, so when they are restored from a nub with big long ears they end up looking a little wonky.

Totally agree with this. No doubt the design was weak and they knew it would break. Sergio Ayala at Texas State did extensive study on Andice. He had about 20 modem knappers meet and attempt making them using ancient tools and methods. A very small percentage survived.

Natives had no problem using Andice with only one or no ears. At the top of the first frame there are four ears hgv at were split off as notching failures. It happened a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some ears that split off while notching.

Attachments

• 20210510_165255.jpg
    20210510_165255.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1924558

I just imagine watching the ancient artist make that one. He started with a material that was extremely hard to get and valuable. Perfect strike after perfect strike turned this stone that had been imported hundreds of miles into a 5.5 inch biface. Incredibly thin, perfectly flat, and laser straight edges.

It was a huge thing of art. Time to put in long , and equally impressive notches. One inch in and he struck the punch without enough angle. The side split off.

I can imagine a little foot stomping and maybe a little native profanity. Oh well let's do the other side. He started at a steeper angle almost like a corner notch. Making the opening wider this time. 1.5 inches in...the side splits off. No doubt a fit of rage ensued this time. He would have been the best of the best knappers to even be working on this fine stone. His pride and reputation would be hurt.

Now instead of being a piece of honor and admiration, it became utilitarian. He would have loved to see 7000 years into the future as I turned it over and over... understanding his appreciation for the stone and workmanship. Relating to how he felt when the epitome of perfection split away.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread