California again. darn

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I just started selling again a few weeks back and have sold about 10 items. I always look at order details and say please no California and so far 7 have shipped to cali. I am in NJ and leave a flat rate shipping to all buyers to hopefully make a few extra $ if its a close state. California has a lot of bidders. LOL

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that when your auctions end at later times on the east coast like 11pm or midnight or 1am then you have a better chance of it going far out west! End your auctions at an earlier time & more will stay east or the mid west. That's my experience at least! Cali does have a lot of buyers tho that's for sure!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
my opionion is it's stupid to exclude any of the 48 states...
if it bugs you that much just use priorty s=flat rate then it don't matter how far it's going shippin is all the same

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure you use a flat shipping rate versus using the calculated postage by weight on ebay. That way you don't have to worry about it. Especially since ebay is taking 9% out of your shipping price anyway. Here is a link for all shipping rates via USPS- DMM Notice 123 Price List

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never had a problem using the calculated shipping. I simply weigh the item before hand, approximate the final weight and give shipping options (typically parcel post and priority). If I'm nervous it (or concerned about the 9% that eBay takes from it), I'll add a buck or two for shipping/handling fees.

I can't imagine limiting my number of buyers, especially considering how many bid from California, just to make an extra buck or two on shipping. Bidding wars are a wonderful thing and are much more likely the more people that I allow for my auctions.

Am I assuming that you won't ship internationally as well? Some of my best sales have been international customers.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in Florida so I know if my buyer is on the west coast, it will cost more to ship there than if my buyer is in Florida or Georgia. I prefer to list my items on ebay with the same rate for all buyers. I often go to the USPS web site postage calculator and use a west coast zip code to come up with my shipping cost. That way, if my buyer is on the west coast, I won't lose much, if any, money. If my buyer is closer to home, I might make a buck or two on shipping.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
I'm in Florida so I know if my buyer is on the west coast, it will cost more to ship there than if my buyer is in Florida or Georgia. I prefer to list my items on ebay with the same rate for all buyers. I often go to the USPS web site postage calculator and use a west coast zip code to come up with my shipping cost. That way, if my buyer is on the west coast, I won't lose much, if any, money. If my buyer is closer to home, I might make a buck or two on shipping.
Yes that's exactly what I do, I usually punch in 92101.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
my opionion is it's stupid to exclude any of the 48 states...
if it bugs you that much just use priorty s=flat rate then it don't matter how far it's going shippin is all the same
I would never exclude a state, was just sayin how many went to Cali. I also prefer flat rate and use them when I can. The longbow I sold at 70inches wouldn't fit flat rate box so I had to tube it and ship it to, of course 96003. I guess its the flat rate box non fitting pain in the but to pack items I am talking about.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in that dreaded state of CA and it seems most of my sales go to the east coast. I always make sure I am covered in the shipping area. I use calculated shipping, if a bidder does not want to pay the rate then he can buy closer to home. Still i ship a lot of heavy items to the Atlantic side of this country. Just shipped 10 blank VHS tapes cost $10 & shipping $19.02 to NC.

what I do is weigh the item, round the weight up to the next full pound and add a pound.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question regarding Ebay fees just got a bill for 10% fee on sold price and shipping. Was wondering if I was doing something wrong they gave me free listings for .99 auction start fees but still got charged final price and shipping fees? If I pay submission fees do I still get 10% final selling price fees? I am new to ebay so was sorta taken by suprise at the 10%cost I suppose I should of read all the instructions first. Oooh well I am learning its still a decent deal at 10%.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just got a bill for 10% fee on sold price and shipping.
Yes, that is how they make their billions.
they used to charge to submit an auction & then charged if it sold.

now you get 50 free listings (auction or BIN) and they only charge on total sell cost.

10% really is not that bad of a fee considering all the millions of people could see your item.

my fee last month was around $55 and this month around $45. it seems a lot but that means I sold $1000
===============================
OK, I have to stop being nice to ebay. it is making me ill.
don't get me started on all their silly rules.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
cyberdan:

When I started selling treasure hunting books by mail it was long before the Internets.

I'd spend time advertising in treasure hunting magazines and by direct mail to build a list; then typing up a catalog, printing it, mailing it out - and all that money was spent before I'd sold a single book! It was tough to get off the ground because it took so much time and the overhead was high.

Yes, 10% sounds like a lot. Until you carefully consider the alternative(s)!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Im here in Cali, and it does seem like a lot of my items get shipped just a few doors down! There have a been a few items that, if I had more time, I could have hand delivered on my bike and saved a few bucks shipping, haha

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Im here in Cali, and it does seem like a lot of my items get shipped just a few doors down! There have a been a few items that, if I had more time, I could have hand delivered on my bike and saved a few bucks shipping, haha
Ive only had one Item I was able to deliver. It was in NJ 10 doors down from my friends house about 30 min away. Since I was going to see him soon after sale I dropped it off and it was one of the heaviest Items I have sold, 25 or 30 lbs I think it was. It was an old reel to reel projector with the heavy cast iron type outer case.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 or 30 lbs I think it was. It was an old reel to reel projector with the heavy cast iron type outer case.
I hope you still charged delivery.

I have had two folks pick up at my office parking lot.
nothing heavy, but they were close.

then on the other hand I sold a big catalytic converter to someone less than 10 miles away and offered to let him pick it up. I never even got an answer from him.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind losing a couple of bucks on shipping as long as I know I am still making a good profit. Back in the old days we called this a shipping discount. There will be other sales that I make a dollar or two on shipping so it all works out. Me living in MS. I know what you mean about CA. shipping rates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread