Call me Crazy but...

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
See if you can follow my logic. I am an absolute beginner. I want to find gold. No matter what detector I get there will be a learning curve.
Now, the way I figure it is all the easy gold has been taken. All the pretty hard to find gold has been taken also. All that's left is the deep, hard to find gold, or the very small pieces.
I already bought a Goldbug 2 used. I was going to pick up a Gold Monster 1000 used. I would spend right at the thousand dollar mark, but the I got thinking.
Why not buy the best gold detector money can buy, the Minelab gpz 7000.
Yes it is complicated. Yes it is expensive, BUT... it will find the the hard to find gold better than anything else.
So, that's what I did. I figure if I can hit it hard and get competent with it by using it 8 hours a day for about 3 months in an area that is known for gold...it will pay for itself and start making me money.
So anybody want to weigh in to question my sanity?

Upvote 11

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Not for hunting here in the first 48. Aussie or Alaska, maybe, but not here. You're more likely to find tiny nuggets than the huge ones here, so, the 6000 is just better suited for that. Being much lighter and easier to use is another great bonus.
I picked up a used Fisher Gold Bug 2. I figure that ought to cover the teeny tiny gold. But...if there is something down a few inches, I sure don't want to miss it. Now all I need is a Sand or Tiger Shark or something compatible and one of those little hand held underwater detectors and I'm good to go.
Now...let's talk sluices.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tom, I respect your spirit and I wish you good luck. After all, it's your time and money!

Two things you haven't talked about that I'd like to comment on so that you will think about them:

1. because you're a beginner in the world of gold prospecting I'll mention that it's critical to understand where you can use your detector and where you cannot. I'm talking about gold claims, mineral rights, property ownership, etc. You've been vague about where you're going to be looking, so I'll say generally that it's absolutely essential that you be certain that you are permitted to look for gold wherever you choose to prospect. Please research that topic in light of your specific area. (I don't know you, but given what you've said about sailing I think it's important to point this out because you can sail your boat wherever you want, but you CANNOT walk across any land anywhere using your detector.)

2. Digging is hard. You've mentioned that you've been doing certain activities 60 years +, so you're not all that young. And if you get a deep signal, keep in mind you have to actually dig that signal out. Again depending on location that may not be very easy. If you want to watch some videos watch Bill Southern, who is in Arizona. He recovers nuggets from caliche - which is like a natural cement. So keep in mind that getting the detector to beep over possible gold is one thing; recovering that gold is another thing, and please make sure you're ready for the effort required.

Again, good luck to you!

- Brian

Last edited:

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
See if you can follow my logic. I am an absolute beginner. I want to find gold. No matter what detector I get there will be a learning curve.
Now, the way I figure it is all the easy gold has been taken. All the pretty hard to find gold has been taken also. All that's left is the deep, hard to find gold, or the very small pieces.
I already bought a Goldbug 2 used. I was going to pick up a Gold Monster 1000 used. I would spend right at the thousand dollar mark, but the I got thinking.
Yes it is complicated. Yes it is expensive, BUT... it will find the the hard to find gold better than anything else.
So, that's what I did. I figure if I can hit it hard and get competent with it by using it 8 hours a day for about 3 months in an area that is known for gold...it will pay for itself and start making me money.
Crazy......

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking at age/weight=harness/bungee type
Reason 7.32 lbs is a tiring day. Sure a little here and there hunting one can swing, but when you swing for long periods of time it's a different story.
This just from swinging something that weighs a couple of pounds less.
Now take into consideration the topography of where you are going to be using the said 7+ lb machine.
The harness works great on level, but the limitations of hillside, crevice, either one is pushing down/or lifting it up both are using more of the arm.
7000 Listed price In Canada with tax is $13K
6000 Listed price in Canada with tax is $8.8K
5000 Listed price in Canada with tax is $6K
Harness Listed price in Canada with tax is $195.00 The best money the spent and the arm injury that might not happen.
I tip my hat to your not scared of taking on adventure, but if one thinks optimistically through life-life is pretty exciting at times.
Best of luck in your adventures. (I'm sure you'll still have a few months to decide looking at the calendar.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Hey Tom, I respect your spirit and I wish you good luck. After all, it's your time and money!

Two things you haven't talked about that I'd like to comment on so that you will think about them:

1. because you're a beginner in the world of gold prospecting I'll mention that it's critical to understand where you can use your detector and where you cannot. I'm talking about gold claims, mineral rights, property ownership, etc. You've been vague about where you're going to be looking, so I'll say generally that it's absolutely essential that you be certain that you are permitted to look for gold wherever you choose to prospect. Please research that topic in light of your specific area. (I don't know you, but given what you've said about sailing I think it's important to point this out because you can sail your boat wherever you want, but you CANNOT walk across any land anywhere using your detector.)

2. Digging is hard. You've mentioned that you've been doing certain activities 60 years +, so you're not all that young. And if you get a deep signal, keep in mind you have to actually dig that signal out. Again depending on location that may not be very easy. If you want to watch some videos watch Bill Southern, who is in Arizona. He recovers nuggets from caliche - which is like a natural cement. So keep in mind that getting the detector to beep over possible gold is one thing; recovering that gold is another thing, and please make sure you're ready for the effort required.

Again, good luck to you!

- Brian
Thanks Brian
Great advice. Yeah, I'm not looking to get shot. In this day and age you never know when you're going to stumble upon a Marijuana grow. I have a lot of respect for private property rights. Too bad the government doesn't . Ask me about Kiingman, Arizona.
. Not looking forward to the manual labor. I tell friends I'm going into the "moving dirt business".
I've noticed a difference in the type of pick/shovel prospectors use. Do you (or anyone else) have a recommendation? I don't want something that is going to warp or break 20 miles from the RV.
Yeah, that 7000 is one heavy beast.
Call me Charles Atlas, or dead sore.
Thanks buddy, keep the good advice coming.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Looking at age/weight=harness/bungee type
Reason 7.32 lbs is a tiring day. Sure a little here and there hunting one can swing, but when you swing for long periods of time it's a different story.
This just from swinging something that weighs a couple of pounds less.
Now take into consideration the topography of where you are going to be using the said 7+ lb machine.
The harness works great on level, but the limitations of hillside, crevice, either one is pushing down/or lifting it up both are using more of the arm.
7000 Listed price In Canada with tax is $13K
6000 Listed price in Canada with tax is $8.8K
5000 Listed price in Canada with tax is $6K
Harness Listed price in Canada with tax is $195.00 The best money the spent and the arm injury that might not happen.
I tip my hat to your not scared of taking on adventure, but if one thinks optimistically through life-life is pretty exciting at times.
Best of luck in your adventures. (I'm sure you'll still have a few months to decide looking at the calendar.
Thanks for the reality check. I am presently walking around with two pound weights on each arm. It's looks funny, but not as funny as when I switch out to five pounders.
I got a pretty sweet deal. The harness and pogo stick came with the Machine. It's got the 14" coil. Going to give myself better odds and buy the other two. Comes with the wireless setup. The guy used it 4 times. It has the protective jackets on both the screen and the shaft. Not a scratch.
I had to wheel and deal and drive 600 miles round trip, but I got it for less than half retail. (No tax)
20211103_004722.jpg
It's not that complicated to set up and get started.
I'm sure I'll grow into the custom settings as I get acquainted with it.
Now I just have to finish painting this house so I can close escrow.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Crazy......
That's it...Crazy...no explanation?
You ever go hunting? You ever hunt big game? Do you know it's illegal in some states to hunt deer with a .22? That's because a .22 just isn't enough bullet.
Would you hunt Grizz with a 30/30 or a 50 cal.?
I'm going after the gold. Not the dust.
I'm curious. I'd like to hear your explanation.
Maybe you'll convince me that I do need that operation.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it...Crazy...no explanation?
You ever go hunting? You ever hunt big game? Do you know it's illegal in some states to hunt deer with a .22? That's because a .22 just isn't enough bullet.
Would you hunt Grizz with a 30/30 or a 50 cal.?
I'm going after the gold. Not the dust.
I'm curious. I'd like to hear your explanation.
Maybe you'll convince me that I do need that operation.
stoneshirt has a long history of making these kinds of remarks and insults toward members for no known reason.Best response is to simply ignore him.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
stoneshirt has a long history of making these kinds of remarks and insults toward members for no known reason.Best response is to simply ignore him.
Maybe a healthy discussion is just what he needs? After all...he can't punch me the face from here. Ha ha
Hey, where you located Mr Coot?

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia

"Call me Crazy but"...stoneshirt​

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope your plan works.
The only thing I can say is, if I read it correctly, you have a detector you used once?
Why don’t you use it and start learning?
You might find after a couple hours that you hate it.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I hope your plan works.
The only thing I can say is, if I read it correctly, you have a detector you used once?
Why don’t you use it and start learning?
You might find after a couple hours that you hate it.
No, I already get a kick out of pulling trash from the ground. I can't wait until I pull something yellow and shiny.
I've done a lot of things. This detector, prospecting, digging for gold fascinates me. I'm in the process of researching the mineralogy, geology, hydrology, mining claims, patent claims, topography, BLM land, history and anything else I can get my hands on including all those Government printouts you can get just by writing to them.
Hey, this is some cool stuff going on here. I am going to jump in and try not to drown.
You make a good point though. Anyone else, sure. Me? How do you say...I'm invested.

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it’s a brilliant way to go. As far as your sanity, it’s questionable. Insane works for me!

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I already get a kick out of pulling trash from the ground. I can't wait until I pull something yellow and shiny.
I've done a lot of things. This detector, prospecting, digging for gold fascinates me. I'm in the process of researching the mineralogy, geology, hydrology, mining claims, patent claims, topography, BLM land, history and anything else I can get my hands on including all those Government printouts you can get just by writing to them.
Hey, this is some cool stuff going on here. I am going to jump in and try not to drown.
You make a good point though. Anyone else, sure. Me? How do you say...I'm invested.
Lol you sound invested and totally hyped. I’m sick as all hell and you’ve even got me all excited about hunting. Where are you planning on starting your adventures?

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Again, good luck to you!

- Brian
I’ll dig for you, my dude! :)

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Man, good luck in your adventures! Keep us in mind when you find your fortune! I men: let us know when you find it!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread