Call me Crazy but...

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
See if you can follow my logic. I am an absolute beginner. I want to find gold. No matter what detector I get there will be a learning curve.
Now, the way I figure it is all the easy gold has been taken. All the pretty hard to find gold has been taken also. All that's left is the deep, hard to find gold, or the very small pieces.
I already bought a Goldbug 2 used. I was going to pick up a Gold Monster 1000 used. I would spend right at the thousand dollar mark, but the I got thinking.
Why not buy the best gold detector money can buy, the Minelab gpz 7000.
Yes it is complicated. Yes it is expensive, BUT... it will find the the hard to find gold better than anything else.
So, that's what I did. I figure if I can hit it hard and get competent with it by using it 8 hours a day for about 3 months in an area that is known for gold...it will pay for itself and start making me money.
So anybody want to weigh in to question my sanity?

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I think it’s a brilliant way to go. As far as your sanity, it’s questionable. Insane works for me!
When I was 14 I ran away from home(Maine) and went to Disney World(Orlando, Florida). Just wanted a break from my irrational mother. I took a bus there and hitchhiked back. I was gone 10 days, had a great time, caught holy h... when I returned.
That was the start. Yeah, maybe a little crazy

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Lol you sound invested and totally hyped. I’m sick as all hell and you’ve even got me all excited about hunting. Where are you planning on starting your adventures?
Hello Maka13,
Anybody whose been successful hunting for anything starts with research. Hours and hours and hours of research. I was never into geology, mineralogy, cartography, history or hydrology. These are some of the subjects you must know if you expect to locate areas with the likelihood of finding gold. Then...you better understand the detector. Practice, practice, practice. I've got gold nuggets and pickers ordered so I can bury them to find the limitations of the machines I'm using (Goldbug2&GPZ7000).
I'm also customizing an RV I bought so I won't have to sleep on the dirt.
As far as where I plan to hunt...hopefully, where the gold is.
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Maybe "they" can't do it. Doesn't mean "you" can't do it.
20220109_121303.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 14 I ran away from home(Maine) and went to Disney World(Orlando, Florida). Just wanted a break from my irrational mother. I took a bus there and hitchhiked back. I was gone 10 days, had a great time, caught holy h... when I returned.
That was the start. Yeah, maybe a little crazy
Hell bro,we,re all a little crazy one way or another.Embrace it!:laughing7:

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Maka13,
Anybody whose been successful hunting for anything starts with research. Hours and hours and hours of research. I was never into geology, mineralogy, cartography, history or hydrology. These are some of the subjects you must know if you expect to locate areas with the likelihood of finding gold. Then...you better understand the detector. Practice, practice, practice. I've got gold nuggets and pickers ordered so I can bury them to find the limitations of the machines I'm using (Goldbug2&GPZ7000).
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Maybe "they" can't do it. Doesn't mean "you" can't do it. View attachment 2002816
Amen! I love your way of thinking!

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ocean 7
I taught myself to ski. Been doing it for 60 years. Taught myself to surf. Been doing it for 46 years. Taught myself to sail. Been doing it for 44 years including 6 years cruising the planet. Taught myself mechanics, electrics, carpentry, drywall, plumbing, roofing...well you get the picture. I'm getting too old for all that. I'm pretty confident I can teach myself to successfully prospect for gold. A man once told me, "you're only as good as your tools". Recently I've been researching every publication I can find from the early.1800's on for the area I plan to investigate. I'm studying mineralogy and geology. I don't plan on being a novice for long. Then again, I could be nuts.
Very inspirational… :)

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Maka13,
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Maybe "they" can't do it. Doesn't mean "you" can't do it. View attachment 2002816
Is that a underwater diving helmet?!?!

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See if you can follow my logic. I am an absolute beginner. I want to find gold. No matter what detector I get there will be a learning curve.
Now, the way I figure it is all the easy gold has been taken. All the pretty hard to find gold has been taken also. All that's left is the deep, hard to find gold, or the very small pieces.
I already bought a Goldbug 2 used. I was going to pick up a Gold Monster 1000 used. I would spend right at the thousand dollar mark, but the I got thinking.
Yes it is complicated. Yes it is expensive, BUT... it will find the the hard to find gold better than anything else.
So, that's what I did. I figure if I can hit it hard and get competent with it by using it 8 hours a day for about 3 months in an area that is known for gold...it will pay for itself and start making me money.
Another good detector to look at is the XP ORX. With the elliptical coil, it can go up to 80.0 kHz. and has 14kHz for coins and 30 kHz for jewelry and relics. This is coming from a colonial coin hunter's perspective, your hunting situation is different I'm sure.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're crazy! (Couldn't resist) But once you get the hours in,
(Learning curve) I think you've got a good plan. Of course you may luck out & make your money back in one fell swoop.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoneshirt has a long history of making these kinds of remarks and insults toward members for no known reason.Best response is to simply ignore him.
Aah, just treat him like background noise. Remember the old pocket AM radios? Wiggle the knob a little & the noise goes away. Life's too short. Now get digging & swinging! And just have fun with it!

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it...Crazy...no explanation?
You ever go hunting? You ever hunt big game? Do you know it's illegal in some states to hunt deer with a .22? That's because a .22 just isn't enough bullet.
Would you hunt Grizz with a 30/30 or a 50 cal.?
I'm going after the gold. Not the dust.
I'm curious. I'd like to hear your explanation.
Maybe you'll convince me that I do need that operation.
Why does he have to explain himself to you? If you want to know, go out and try it yourself. See how that works for you. Do you feel better now, Stone? Now that you got all that salty out? Geez!

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's a start. You have added three new words to your original post. Now, how about we try for a complete sentence or two. If we can't express ourselves, it kind of puts us back in the stone
Well that's a start. You have added three new words to your original post. Now, how about we try for a complete sentence or two. If we can't express ourselves, it kind of puts us back in the stone age.
I guess he doesn’t call himself stone, for nothing. I think he just needs a hug. I’ve got COVID otherwise I’d offer. :/

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Is that a underwater diving helmet?!?!
Thanks Maka13 for all your positive feedback. I'm finding a lot of good folks on this website. It's been running 99 for and 1 against. I can live with that.
Yes that's a dive helmet. We call them "hardhats" , hence the term, "Hardhat Diving". It's the difference between recreational "SCUBA" diving and professional, getting paid, to dive, diving. This particular helmet is a reproduction. It is non functional. It was given to me by my ex dive boss, James "Ace" Parnell. He was a Navy Diver. I worked for him back in the 90's.
We have been good friends for 30 years. Ace collects Hardhats. Mostly working helmets. I think he has 6.
You've got good perception to spot that down on the floor. I just wanted to "show off" my new (to me) metal detector.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Another good detector to look at is the XP ORX. With the elliptical coil, it can go up to 80.0 kHz. and has 14kHz for coins and 30 kHz for jewelry and relics. This is coming from a colonial coin hunter's perspective, your hunting situation is different I'm sure.
Hello Mr. Will,
Funny you should mention that detector. I have a thread asking about what kind of picks people are using. Someone misunderstood and mentioned that very same detector as being good for gold. It sounds good. There is a member who had a detector stolen and is wondering what next. She might find that detector is right up her alley. I picked up a Goldbug2 ,used, but in great shape. And a used GPZ7000, and that's kind of why I started this discussion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread