Call me Crazy but...

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
See if you can follow my logic. I am an absolute beginner. I want to find gold. No matter what detector I get there will be a learning curve.
Now, the way I figure it is all the easy gold has been taken. All the pretty hard to find gold has been taken also. All that's left is the deep, hard to find gold, or the very small pieces.
I already bought a Goldbug 2 used. I was going to pick up a Gold Monster 1000 used. I would spend right at the thousand dollar mark, but the I got thinking.
Why not buy the best gold detector money can buy, the Minelab gpz 7000.
Yes it is complicated. Yes it is expensive, BUT... it will find the the hard to find gold better than anything else.
So, that's what I did. I figure if I can hit it hard and get competent with it by using it 8 hours a day for about 3 months in an area that is known for gold...it will pay for itself and start making me money.
So anybody want to weigh in to question my sanity?

Upvote 11

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judgement or observation? Knew a guy in Newport Beach that was a junk man, always wore bib overalls from K-mart, dirty hands & face When he passed, his estate was over 4 mil. With another 1-2 stashed in his house. Never met a nicer more real person yet! Glad I moved out of Cali, too many fake people. You seem to be an exception , at least there is one real person left on Diego!
Hey, I "resemble" that implication! :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
See if you can follow my logic. I am an absolute beginner. I want to find gold. No matter what detector I get there will be a learning curve.
Now, the way I figure it is all the easy gold has been taken. All the pretty hard to find gold has been taken also. All that's left is the deep, hard to find gold, or the very small pieces.
I already bought a Goldbug 2 used. I was going to pick up a Gold Monster 1000 used. I would spend right at the thousand dollar mark, but the I got thinking.
Why not buy the best gold detector money can buy, the Minelab gpz 7000.
Yes it is complicated. Yes it is expensive, BUT... it will find the the hard to find gold better than anything else.
So, that's what I did. I figure if I can hit it hard and get competent with it by using it 8 hours a day for about 3 months in an area that is known for gold...it will pay for itself and start making me money.
So anybody want to weigh in to question my sanity?

Quite the locale to poke around for gold.
History hints of displacement of large amounts of material. Even knocking down large areas of it with water power. Big stuff of course obvious ,but hints of smaller stuff getting shuffled .displaced , maybe missed.

Accounts of tailing piles from other operations turning up a chuck at times too.
All to say , it may not all be hidden in bedrock cracks.
Even a poke squirreled away and lost or not recovered.

I'll certainly give you better odds in your state than mine for unrefined gold being found...

Ahh California. Particularly San Diego.
I don't expect to revisit. No longer traveling well , but San Diego remains the best clime I have enjoyed. Especially the morning breeze off the ocean.
Rolling low hills. A fox on some important mission at a trot before humans get to stirring around too much for comfort.

Car bodies there at the time of my visit decades old and on second engines , and older ones on a third and owners (some) thinking it might be time for a newer one caught my attention.
At the time , "gold" might have been hauling engines from the rust belt I lived in to California , and hauling old (but so nice bodies and frames) vehicles back.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Quite the locale to poke around for gold.
History hints of displacement of large amounts of material. Even knocking down large areas of it with water power. Big stuff of course obvious ,but hints of smaller stuff getting shuffled .displaced , maybe missed.

Accounts of tailing piles from other operations turning up a chuck at times too.
All to say , it may not all be hidden in bedrock cracks.
Even a poke squirreled away and lost or not recovered.

I'll certainly give you better odds in your state than mine for unrefined gold being found...

Ahh California. Particularly San Diego.
I don't expect to revisit. No longer traveling well , but San Diego remains the best clime I have enjoyed. Especially the morning breeze off the ocean.
Rolling low hills. A fox on some important mission at a trot before humans get to stirring around too much for comfort.

Car bodies there at the time of my visit decades old and on second engines , and older ones on a third and owners (some) thinking it might be time for a newer one caught my attention.
At the time , "gold" might have been hauling engines from the rust belt I lived in to California , and hauling old (but so nice bodies and frames) vehicles back.
Hello Relevant hair,
Funny you should mention the fox out running around. I was walking my dogs yesterday evening right at dusk. I started hearing the yapping of coyotes. Sure enough, around the corner came three of them. My German Shepherd wanted to cut loose and run with pack...call of the wild.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Hey, I "resemble" that implication! :laughing7:
Hey, thanks Mr. Boogeyman,
I know what you mean. Have you ever heard of Carl Eichenlob? He designed racing sailboats for the America's Cup, participated in several Olympic sailing events as coordinator for team USA., and he owned his own boat yard. Oh yeah, back up basoon player for the SanDiego symphony. If you saw him you'd want to give him some spare change. Nicest, humblest guy you ever met.
There are are a few good people here. Too bad this place makes it so hard to live here.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look forward to some photos of your success! With your attitude you're going to succeed. It sounds like time and money are no object and if you enjoy it the digging won't feel like work provided your back and knees can put up with it. I'd get one if I lived near the nuggets.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I look forward to some photos of your success! With your attitude you're going to succeed. It sounds like time and money are no object and if you enjoy it the digging won't feel like work provided your back and knees can put up with it. I'd get one if I lived near the nuggets.
Hello Mr. Buckets,
I have another thread " Going Hunting for Mountain Trolls", and one Called "Striptease".
I posted some pictures of my "Troll Killer" Apex Pick with the 36" handle.
I've always had this skewed attitude towards life, do the things that make you happy,, then share it. It's worked so far.
. I've got some gold pickers ordered to practice detecting. I'll start another thread "There's Gold in dem dar Envelopes". I'll post some pictures so everyone can drool.
I

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, thanks Mr. Boogeyman,
I know what you mean. Have you ever heard of Carl Eichenlob? He designed racing sailboats for the America's Cup, participated in several Olympic sailing events as coordinator for team USA., and he owned his own boat yard. Oh yeah, back up basoon player for the SanDiego symphony. If you saw him you'd want to give him some spare change. Nicest, humblest guy you ever met.
There are are a few good people here. Too bad this place makes it so hard to live here.
Doesn't ring a bell in my foggy memory. A lot of people I hung with were in the Hobie Cat community. Nine times out of ten, the guys that looked like "Beach bums" were the talented geniuses with bucks. Guess they were more focused on more important things than appearances & keeping up.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The biggest factor is putting a coil over a target. If the machine is too heavy you will not be using it as often. I have watched people who sell Minelabs do videos saying I went over this area with other detectors and didn't find this nugget. No real reason to believe the other coils had gone over that nugget.

They never say I found this nugget with the 7000 and then checked it with other detectors that cost half as much, and they could not find this nugget. Why do you suppose this is?

If using the machine was more profitable than selling them, what would they choose to do?
I don't know that any of the 20 or so detectors that I have ever paid for themselves. I chalk it up to hobbies usually are not profitable. All you need to do now is find 6 oz of nuggets. Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread