Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have any experience with the F4? If so, can you tell me how stable, deep and reliable this machine is? and would the F4 be a good upgrade from the F2?

Also anyone with the gamma 6000, can you tell me how that is on depth and stability?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also does anyone know anything on the Tek. Gamma 6000?

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome detectingpro. I personally don't have an F4 or F2. I am familiar with the fisher models and I do talk to quite a few people on different forums that do have lots of experience with both. They are similar in design and performance with the exception that the F4 has a ground balance function (in all medal only) that the F2 doesn't have. The F4 also comes standard with the 11" DD coil. Not much of an upgrade but still a worthy detector. A bigger step up would be to the F5 which is a very capable detector and high on the list of many long time hobbyists
. Hope this helps---IB

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have nevr used an f2 or f5. I have an f4 and I am very happy with this machine. Depth is average compared to other machines in the same category. I used to own a bounty hunter and almost gave up on metal detecting due to the big learning curve of the machine. The f4 is very simple to use. Personally I have no complaints. I am looking to upgrade to the f75 within the next two years.

JustUsBikers

Jan 9, 2014
St. Charles, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4 and Minilab Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an F4 and getting more familiar with it. The reason I purchased it long ago is the high rating. But I never have seen many people with it. There are plenty of great features. Most important is getting good headphones. Bottom line is all detectors are good at specific things. Most important is getting use to how it functions. Until I have mastered my F4 I won't purchase another one. The one thing I did recently was purchasing a pin pointer. While the F4 has that function the pin pointer is still a great tool to have.

Keep me posted on what you have experienced with it.
Thanks,
Mike

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome detectingpro. I personally don't have an F4 or F2. I am familiar with the fisher models and I do talk to quite a few people on different forums that do have lots of experience with both. They are similar in design and performance with the exception that the F4 has a ground balance function (in all medal only) that the F2 doesn't have. The F4 also comes standard with the 11" DD coil. Not much of an upgrade but still a worthy detector. A bigger step up would be to the F5 which is a very capable detector and high on the list of many long time hobbyists . Hope this helps---IB

I concur. If you are going to upgrade from a F2, the logical step would be a F5. More manual control with the F5. IMO

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an F4 and was very happy with it.The only down side is that the ground balance feature only applies to the auto tune mode(no I.D.) and the all metal pinpoint mode.It does not carry over into the discriminate mode. I needed a machine that would ground balance in some bad Virginia soil,when relic hunting. I sold the F4 and purchased the Gamma 6000.I have no complaints on the Gamma. It only uses one 9volt,is light as a feather,has ground grab and manual ground balance,will i.d. targets in all metal and disc modes,has a running target depth gauge,up to 4 tones in disc plus a unique large shallow target alert sound. I think the Gamma has the same performance as the F5,but is a little easier to use.Hope this helps.

Oct 6, 2013
I have an F4 and I love it. I've found a bunch of clad and some nice silver coins including a 1897 Barber Dime at. 8 inches. If it were submersible, like the Garrett AT's, it would be perfect.

WhatTheBeep

Apr 9, 2013
Northeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, F70, F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome detectingpro. I personally don't have an F4 or F2. I am familiar with the fisher models and I do talk to quite a few people on different forums that do have lots of experience with both. They are similar in design and performance with the exception that the F4 has a ground balance function (in all medal only) that the F2 doesn't have. The F4 also comes standard with the 11" DD coil. Not much of an upgrade but still a worthy detector. A bigger step up would be to the F5 which is a very capable detector and high on the list of many long time hobbyists
. Hope this helps---IB

Agree with IB 100%. F4 isn't a bad detector, but it's got the same board inside as the F2 with a few extras. F5 would be a much bigger upgrade, and an F70 just a little more money for a bigger upgrade still IMO. I started with and still have my F2, and it's a great machine, but I wanted several more options and more horsepower and researched a lot before settling on the F70, which is like having a few machines rolled up in one with all its various settings and options. The F75Ltd/SE is yet another step up, but to me, at least, wasn't worth the extra $.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread