Camels Hump Vermont........ Pot of Spanish Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Camel's Hump Vermont........ Pot of Spanish Gold

A little company of Spanish adventurers passed along the base of the Green Mountains early in the last century, expecting to return after having some dealings with the trading stations on the St. Lawrence; so they deposited a part of their gold on Ludlow Mountain, Vermont, and another pot of it on Camel's Hump. They agreed that none should return without his companions, but they were detained in the north and separated, some of them going home to Spain. Late in life the sole survivor of the company went to Camel's Hump and tried to recall where the treasure had been hidden, but in vain.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realize that is an old thread, but this story sounds awful familiar to the legend of the Bristol money diggings. Early on it is said that Several Spainish travelors passed through town and supposedly had a camp on the side of South mountain. Many people have searched for a rumoured treasure very similar to the camels hump story, and several have claimed to have found spainish silver coins. Several articles and pamphlets have been published on the legend. Somewhere in my library I have an original copy of the small book. I believe that both Yankee and Vermont Life mags. have published articles. I have also hiked the mountain and another location, and while you can see old signs of excavations, nothing has been found to this date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread