Camping in National Forests ?

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
I know you can in Illinois (Shawnee National Forest). That's where I deer hunt. Not sure about NF's in other states. As TT said, check their website (gives info on hunting, metal detecting, fishing, camping, etc.).

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Missouri, I camp out wherever I want... whether it's a State or National Forest area.
I just make sure to try to destroy all evidence that I was there, except my fire pit.

Bran <><

S

seger98

In Wisconsin you can, as well as in the U.P. of Michigan, I have a friend that use to work for the USFS.

OP
OP
V

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all...
When I was a younger man...We camped out anywhere we wanted, State or National, without permission and it was always a great time. I figured now-a-days it would be best to ask permission first.
Glad to be a part of the forum...great info here.
Vic

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The safest thing I've found is to call or go to the Ranger station in the area you are planning on camping in. I've camped in the same spot 2 or 3 times, and Ranger A had no problems with it. Then Ranger B comes along and says No No No! So I assume it's pretty much what each ranger feels is right. Also, if you check with them directly, and a problem comes up you always have the "Well, you said..." card. Also, most of the Rangers I've dealt with were really nice and informative, put me on to some really good places etc. that probably would of taken me a lifetime to find on my own.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Florida they want you to camp in designated spots I think that is so they can collect the fees and have a better idea where to find you should they need to.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hoss has the best plan.
I use one that is similar.

Use an old campsite even if you have to hike into it.
Never make a new fire ring use an established one.
Always leave it better than you found it.

...and if they can't find me in this state of confusion...
All the better, that's why I'm out here.

Thom

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
I always camp where ever I want with no problems here in WA. A couple things I always do are 1) find a side road, never camp where I can be easily seen from the main dirt road. 2) always have a garbage sack where it can easily be seen if a ranger does show up. 3) always leave it better then I found it.

I look at it a lot like MD'ing a park or tot lot. If it's not posted I take that as it's ok. Why give them a chance to say "no"?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this area where I live, anywhere (except inside a park (like Custer Park) - where it has designated areas), anywhere is ok. Pack out what you pack in, and,
I'm with Zym on the rest.

B

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always ask first! living in Colorado, we would always check in with the rangers first. In case a bear wants you for lunch or you fall off the face of a cliff. Then they know about where you are in case of emergencies. AND, yes SOME PLACES IN THE WEST REQUIRE PERMITS! If you are not sure call the ranger station first. They will tell you the real deal. Be careful! :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm at here in Colorado they pretty much have signs telling you what you can and can't do as to camping. Some places you have to have fire pans. I've camped in the established campgrounds and in the little turnouts in the National Forests and never seen or talked to anyone affiliated with the government. It does suck that in the campgrounds here if you camp you also have to pay the day use fee in addition to the camping fee.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple search on the internet will yield regulations on every federal and state park. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." quoted to me by the first cop to pull me over (I was 18.).

Ed D.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Born2Dtect said:
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

I wonder at what point it WILL be considered a valid excuse. Even the lawyers don't know all the laws that are on the books for the state in which they practice, let alone all 50 plus Federal laws. I have to believe it would be impossible to know EVERY law that you might be breaking today.

Diggem'

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be perfectly direct, don't ya'll get sick and tired of having 50 different states with 50 different sets of laws?

I wish the laws were the same from state to state, just like speed limit signs, and the laws that NOBODY is ignorant of (like murder, assault, drinking and driving, etc).

Laws shouldn't be arbitrary from state to state and town to town (especially when they say its a law when it isn't written on paper). (JMO)

B

naturalexplorer

Greenie
Feb 7, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can camp pretty much anywhere in National Forests at no cost, it's called 'dispersed camping'. However there are pay campsites, and one must be 500 or so feet from them if you are participating in 'dispersed camping'. Check out the USDA.Gov website for all of the National Parks information you need.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one thing about the camping that you DO want to remember, and it doesn't matter which state - and that is to stay away from a water source.

They WILL bug your butt (and can fine you) if you are disturbing where wildlife get their water.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread