Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Answer: You bet it can!

1204211845~2.jpg

The earring was an eyeball find so I didn't count it.

Doesn't look like much of a day until you hear the intention.

I wanted to test a theory today. I went to a local school yard that I have hunted with the AT-Pro. Thing is, I picked a certain segment of ground that I *know* I have been over at the very least, a hundred times over recent years. I know, also, that there used to be a ball field there. Almost nobody else does.

Anyway, this is some *deep* ground! Also it is pretty mineralized! For those who understand the Garrett's, it ground balances at about 92!

Every once in a while I'd find a nice older coin there but they were just whispers and usually pretty deep. 8 to 10 inches down. I figured there were older coins there but just out of my reach.

Today, I intentionally went here to see just what this Max Could do. I only walked for two hours and concentrated on the deepest setting and targets that were deep but repeatable.

Remember, I'm still figuring this Max out! Especially in all metal mode.

I got a signal that fit my test criteria and dug. It was a silver Merc! Between 9 and 11 inches deep!! Also got a whole wheat toast '30 at about the same depth! The key was at about 12"!

Mission accomplished! I was right!

To finish the walk properly, OTWBTTC? A nice little silver porpoise ring at about 8".

1204211846~2.jpg

I'm convinced now! This was the right machine for me! I'm looking forward to reworking some of my old haunts!

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 26

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1994852

I wanted to test a theory today. I went to a local school yard that I have hunted with the AT-Pro. Thing is, I picked a certain segment of ground that I *know* I have been over at the very least, a hundred times over recent years. I know, also, that there used to be a ball field there. Almost nobody else does.

Anyway, this is some *deep* ground! Also it is pretty mineralized! For those who understand the Garrett's, it ground balances at about 92!

Every once in a while I'd find a nice older coin there but they were just whispers and usually pretty deep. 8 to 10 inches down. I figured there were older coins there but just out of my reach.

Today, I intentionally went here to see just what this Max Could do. I only walked for two hours and concentrated on the deepest setting and targets that were deep but repeatable.

I got a signal that fit my test criteria and dug. It was a silver Merc! Between 9 and 11 inches deep!! Also got a whole wheat toast '30 at about the same depth! The key was at about 12"!

To finish the walk properly, OTWBTTC? A nice little silver porpoise ring at about 8".

View attachment 1994855

I'm convinced now! This was the right machine for me! I'm looking forward to reworking some of my old haunts!

Thanks for peeking!
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Sir WIF, Your posts are like reading about a kid in a candy store. LOL! I am so glad you have the same machine. You have more years of experience than I with metal detecting, so I am positive I will learn from you. Great finds, great walk.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1994852

View attachment 1994855

Thanks for peeking!
sweet finds and thanks for the post. So cool when your hunch and persistence pay off, wtg

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir WIF, Your posts are like reading about a kid in a candy store. LOL! I am so glad you have the same machine. You have more years of experience than I with metal detecting, so I am positive I will learn from you. Great finds, great walk.
Screenshot_2021-03-27-23-28-12.png

Many thanks, milady!
While it is true that some machines/swords may work better than others. But....its the operator skills that recognizes/learns the language it speaks. In this case? I would get an occasional wheat cent, always weak and deep. Averaging about 6 inches. I figured there had to be more just out of reach of the Pro. From my research, I was pretty sure the Max would give me the extra depth I was looking for, but you see, I *really* don't want to start digging caves! Too much work and besides, this is *supposed* to be my fun! Not my job! 😇

Hint: Learn the all metal mode on the Max! Figure how to tell which ones to dig. Its worth the extra noise and work.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can squeeze out a bit more depth on the AT Pro... Ground Balance it then drop the GB down about 5 clicks. This may also work on the Max. Essentially you are running the machine a little hotter.
If I use my AT Pro I usually run my iron disc so it breaks on an old cut nail (approx 28). Important to have it not silence the nail but instead give a broken signal. When ever I hear that crackle I will swing the coil in a few different directions and see if the numbers kick up which may mean I have a bit of iron that is masking a higher conductor. This works well and just something I got used to doing as I usually run my Tejon for most my field hunting and areas that are supposedly hunted out. Got to love the AT series for having that nice wide iron range. Many machines you just don't have that finite threshold discrim on the lower end.

Nice finds.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can squeeze out a bit more depth on the AT Pro... Ground Balance it then drop the GB down about 5 clicks. This may also work on the Max. Essentially you are running the machine a little hotter.
If I use my AT Pro I usually run my iron disc so it breaks on an old cut nail (approx 28). Important to have it not silence the nail but instead give a broken signal. When ever I hear that crackle I will swing the coil in a few different directions and see if the numbers kick up which may mean I have a bit of iron that is masking a higher conductor. This works well and just something I got used to doing as I usually run my Tejon for most my field hunting and areas that are supposedly hunted out. Got to love the AT series for having that nice wide iron range. Many machines you just don't have that finite threshold discrim on the lower end.

Nice finds.
Interesting! Thanks!
My first real detector was a Garrett Groundhog. That was in the 70's. I still have it and....it still works!! :)

My deepest coin was a wheat cent at 13 inches! That was with the Pro. I know the Max will beat that if I learn it well. I believe most of my problem is an average, auto tune, ground balance for my ground is around 92! That's pretty mineralized.

I think I've noticed an interesting quirk though. I know the depth gauge isn't gospel but it seems that when I pinpoint? The initial depth reported goes down. :icon_scratch:

Anyone else experience this?

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! Thanks!
My first real detector was a Garrett Groundhog. That was in the 70's. I still have it and....it still works!! :)

My deepest coin was a wheat cent at 13 inches! That was with the Pro. I know the Max will beat that if I learn it well. I believe most of my problem is an average, auto tune, ground balance for my ground is around 92! That's pretty mineralized.

I think I've noticed an interesting quirk though. I know the depth gauge isn't gospel but it seems that when I pinpoint? The initial depth reported goes down. :icon_scratch:

Anyone else experience this?
AT Max with stock coil will have depth similar to an AT Pro with a Nel Big 17x15. Advantage of the Max is the smaller coil is better around emi. Downside of the Max is it can be noisy and hard to follow. PP on the Max and AT Pro can be tricky when there is a lot of trash as you may zero out over another target or too close to the target. Another problem is if there is a large halo on the target like an old piece of iron. I find all metal mode much better to figure out whats below.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Whadi, the Merc looks to be in great shape. :thumbsup:
Oh my yes. I noticed that as soon as it came out. I said how about that, right from the bank and into the ground! Amazing how some coins seem to stay almost pristine for a hundred years while others seem to go away in a short time!
Here's a couple better pics.
1206212104a~2.jpg
1206212105a~2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread