Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have many, many references to lost treasures in that county.... is there a name associated with this one?

OP
OP
D

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No name to this Treasure that I know of. #181 in Thomas P. Terry Atlas. It's an old Stage station between Beaverhead station and Bringham city. It's also listed in, A Guide To Treasure in Arizona, by Thomas Penfield, bottom of page 21. Any assistance is appreciated. Dowser

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Dowser,

Could it be one of these?

Herman Wolf Canyon Diablo Coconino AZSouthwest 250000 25 Coins
Meteor Crater Canyon Diablo Coconino AZSouthwest 50 Jewels
Canyon Diablo Flagstaff Coconino AZSouthwest 10 Coins
Coconino Lost Mine & Treasure Flagstaff Coconino AZSouthwest 10 Ingots, Ore
Jackass Dodson Lost Mine & Treasure Flagstaff Coconino AZSouthwest 55000 10 Ingots, Ore
Padre Lost Mine Flagstaff Coconino AZSouthwest 10 Ore
Roy Gardner Flagstaff Coconino AZSouthwest 15000 10 Coins
Valise Lost Mine Lava Butte Coconino AZSouthwest 90 Ore
Mercury Lee's Ferry Coconino AZSouthwest 65000 90 Ore
Sam Clevenger Lee's Ferry Coconino AZSouthwest 15000 50 Coins

Timberwolf

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Got it-

Its called the Pine springs robbers cache and here's a reference to check into-

Kildare, Maurice, "Gold in Iron Boxes" Frontier times, vol. 42, no.2, Feb-Mar 1968, Western Publications, Austin TX, pp. 6-9, 55, 58

Only other reference I have is Penfield's, which you already have. He may have gotten it from this source. ???

OP
OP
D

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro, thanks for that info!!! And Timberwolf, I don't see it on your list. But I was wondering about the Arizona treasure you have listed about treasure in or near Rogers Lake. The info from sources I have write there was gold bars along with coins, but I don't see bars on your list, just coins. Do you know something different from them? Do either of you have any True Treasure Leads, Arizona. ???? Dowser

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
dowser said:
Jeffro, thanks for that info!!! And Timberwolf, I don't see it on your list. But I was wondering about the Arizona treasure you have listed about treasure in or near Rogers Lake. The info from sources I have write there was gold bars along with coins, but I don't see bars on your list, just coins. Do you know something different from them? Do either of you have any True Treasure Leads, Arizona. ???? Dowser

Dowser,

I can't vouch for the accuracy of my database. It was software that I bought several years ago.
AZ is too big to post, all at once. I can email it if you like. Send me a PM.

Timberwolf

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
A careful reading of the accounts reveals that the Pine Springs Station was located near Mahan Mountain. The nearest town is Happy Jack, AZ. The valuables and gold were transported on the stagecoach in three strong boxes. Many searches have been made for the boxes, but they were never recovered. The station was totally torn down by searchers that thought the boxes were hidden under the floor of the station. The boxes were most likely hidden near the site of the station.

Additional research may reveal the year of the robbery, and the actual amount of gold that was being transported. At today's gold prices, the shipment could be worth over $1 million. Good luck!

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A careful reading of the accounts reveals that the Pine Springs Station was located near Mahan Mountain. The nearest town is Happy Jack, AZ. The valuables and gold were transported on the stagecoach in three strong boxes. Many searches have been made for the boxes, but they were never recovered. The station was totally torn down by searchers that thought the boxes were hidden under the floor of the station. The boxes were most likely hidden near the site of the station.

Additional research may reveal the year of the robbery, and the actual amount of gold that was being transported. At today's gold prices, the shipment could be worth over $1 million. Good luck!

I am moving to this area in February any new leads???

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody give any more info on a Lost Treasure in Northern Arizona, Coconino County. The treasure is supposed to be buried near Pine Springs Station, which is somewhere around Mormon Lake. I have been around there looking, and I can find the town of Happy Jack, but the trail ends there. Nobody around! Dowser

Dowser, I don't know the exact location of the station but, the spring, Pine Spring or Pine Spring Tank, is 3 1/2 miles N.E. of Happy Jack. Just a little N.E. of Bargaman Park.
Tod Ringam

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Arizona lead

I believe dowser gave up on this years ago...THANKS for posting these details , though, Tod!!!

Dowser, I don't know the exact location of the station but, the spring, Pine Spring or Pine Spring Tank, is 3 1/2 miles N.E. of Happy Jack. Just a little N.E. of Bargaman Park.
Tod Ringam

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Some people say that Terry & Penfield were one and the same....idk.

No name to this Treasure that I know of. #181 in Thomas P. Terry Atlas. It's an old Stage station between Beaverhead station and Bringham city. It's also listed in, A Guide To Treasure in Arizona, by Thomas Penfield, bottom of page 21. Any assistance is appreciated. Dowser

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=&quot]Brigham City -Henry Seymour and his gang robbed a stagecoach in front of the Pine Spring Stage Station in 1879 of $225,000 in newly-minted coins. The coins were enclosed in three boxes which the outlaws carried into Pine Spring Station, located between Beaverhead Station and Brigham City. However, before they could make their getaway, a twenty man posse arrived and a gunfight ensued. After a day long standoff, the lawmen set fire to the rear wall of the structure and when the bandits ran from the building they were shot down. The posse made an immediate search for the coins, but they were never found.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Source: More Arizona Treasure Tales
Don....[/FONT]

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
They are mistaken if they are saying those two gentlemen are the same person. They are correct if they say those two writers collected many stories from others. In today's Internets argot, they were "aggregators."

Probert lists only two sources - "Kildare" and Penfield. The odds are excellent Penfield got the story from Kildare's article.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Most of the coins at Roger's Lake have been found. The bars have not. And now there is a sign that says metal detecting and treasure hunting are both expressly prohibited in the area. I know that people DO check on you if you are hanging around in the lake area, and they WILL come after you if you have a detector. I have only one question on Roger's lake. Where was the outflow from the lake when it was full? Heading towards the Arboretum, or heading more to the southwest? Both look possible, and since it is now dry it is hard to tell. Saw a bear and two cubs there last spring. That was not nice, as a mama bear is never a good thing to be close to.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 - how do we know that most of the coins have been found? Just curious.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
resurrecting this thread.
i have been doing some research that ill pass on here.
1. Greg Hawk. https://www.desertroamerpress.com/pine-springs-stagecoach-robbery
has a newer write up and video of what he has been digging up in the area.
supposedly all 4 robbers were killed in the shoot out in 1879.
2. he mentions the name Henry Seymour as one of the robbers.
that name sounded familiar.
Henry Seymour was the blacksmith/stagecoach robber from Gillette az.
link
The first of the 3 gillette az stagecoach robberies by Henry Seymour
happened in 1882. he was caught and went to Yuma prison for 10 years.

3. so Henry Seymour getting killed in a shoot out in pine springs in 1879
and then robbing stagecoaches in Gillette in 1882, something doesn't math there.

4. using library of congress https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
to look up newspaper articles from the time.
i cant find anything about a robbery at pine springs station.
seems like that would have been big news.

conclusion. i think a lot of old story's got mixed up over the years and i don't think there was a robbery or
lost/hidden gold at pine springs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread