Can anyone help identify please?

PointPursuer

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
Montgomery County Indiana
Hello,
I am new to the site and this is my first post so please forgive me if I am missing any steps or here. I was hoping someone could help me to confirm that this is an actual artifact and if so from which time period or if it is just a rock resembling an artifact (Blade, Spear or Point maybe??) I found this in central Indiana on a bluff in the woods behind my home. Any help would be very much appreciated, Thanks!
1652198385330.jpeg 1652198449997.jpeg 1652198498832.jpeg 1652198532182.jpeg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I am new to the site and this is my first post so please forgive me if I am missing any steps or here. I was hoping someone could help me to confirm that this is an actual artifact and if so from which time period or if it is just a rock resembling an artifact (Blade, Spear or Point maybe??) I found this in central Indiana on a bluff in the woods behind my home. Any help would be very much appreciated, Thanks!
View attachment 2025949 View attachment 2025950 View attachment 2025951 View attachment 2025952

Greetings. Welcome to Tnet.
It appears to be naturally worn, and not shaped by man. But thanks for posting and keep looking.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Welcome aboard. I don't see any workings by man and therefore I think it is just a natural stone that looks interestingly like a point.
I'm no expert and have been told I'm wrong before. I'm sure others will chime in.
Happy Hunting!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural, but the right shape. You've got a good eye...do some research on Indian points and the edges that appear when man-made. Unmistakable. You will find some if you keep looking and gain some basic knowledge.

And welcome from upstate NY!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it might of been used as a Hide scraping tool. Elk maybe?

Why make a tool when you can use something the right shape and size naturally sitting around? That edge does look like it might of been sharpened?

:icon_scratch:
Blown up there are no signs in pictures provided of it being worked.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best tool is the one you don't have to make.
If I need to pound a wood stake into the ground, and find a rock that feels right in the hand and use it as a hammer. Is that a tool? Maybe I decide It has the right density required for the job, and maybe I just keep it around the campsite. Is that a tool?
Without any proof that someone picked up that rock to pound with it is nothing more than a simple rock laying on the ground.

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without any proof that someone picked up that rock to pound with it is nothing more than a simple rock laying on the ground.
Not even right kind of rock. It is simply a natural weathered rock. Nothing to see here. It seems pareidolia is contagious

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have blown up the picture 10x, tips does not have signs of being used.

OP
OP
PointPursuer

PointPursuer

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
Sorry guys, I just checked back in and seen all the replies and that there seems to be difference in opinion. First off I do appreciate all the feedback. Differences of opinions/discussions of disagreements are always interesting to me and I ultimately learn just as much from reading them personally. Without them our hobby wouldn't be as fun! I am an amateur collector, I have some knowledge and have found a wide variety of artifacts on my property and love it. This one, however, stumped me because of a few things. When I first found this I thought for sure it was an authentic artifact (spear or point?). I do see what arguably looks like chipping on one side and possible grooving in some places where one could argue that is may have been worked, its shape and size is almost identical to a few others that I have seen online and I found it in an area that I have found a significant amount of other artifacts. Really the only things that made me second guess this is the type of rock that it is. I definitely have a lack of knowledge when it comes to identifying types of rocks which I am working on. The majority of what I have found in the past was either chert or flint which I believe are most common. I am not sure what type of rock this is. After I tried cleaning itI thought it was limestone or something similar but it is much harder heavier than any limestone I have seen. I would have to use a pretty healthy hammer to break this thing I will put it that way. The other thing I noticed which I found odd was the presence of what looks like micro fossil fragments or some other type of rock attached to it's exterior when looking through a microscope. I don't know for sure, but if this is in fact a genuine artifact, then it almost seems like these fragments attached to it after it was lost or abandoned. If thats even possible, then that would mean it would've had to of been submersed in water for many years correct? I found it about 30 feet from a creek towards the bottom of a steep hill, in an area that is about 6 feet higher in elevation than where the creek is currently at. I suppose the creek could have been much higher in elevation at one point and left it behind as it lowered but who knows. The fragments may also be an original part of the rock, I don't know. They will come off but only with a significant amount of force, they are attached pretty well. Anyway, I will post some more pics shortly and maybe a couple of side by side pics for comparison of what I found while researching. If anyone has an any additional opinions or information they don't mind sharing please do so! Thanks again for all the previous comments and happy hunting! My apologies for the book lol

OP
OP
PointPursuer

PointPursuer

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
Here are more photos. Have more if anyone replies to this and would like to see more. Note: I think there is a piece missing/broken off one side of what could be the stem but not sure. Thanks!
NRyAwvKeQO+OJlUjeYmPcQ.jpg Ns95RQifTRqPPJEtti8SUQ.jpg NF0k8UFSSwuzG+UauIY0jQ.jpg Bf+touz3RBSRWn8TUEK3yA.jpg lyKF0n6MTOaQ%E748awJXQ.jpg tQ7wICPjQ7mZ9j%B224ikQ.jpg M7IAiElMRXqFwrzNPQ7KOg.jpg zj+6Z1EkRXCVw%r9wcKKLg.jpg 1H%KOFFsRNKIOfBpk6uZgw.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, the new pictures didn't change it, it is still natural not worked by man..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread