Can anyone help me identify this? Found on my property in TX (digging - deep in grou)

GSnider

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
68583C78-B2A8-4662-9A53-119101FDB1A1.jpeg 36A29EB0-79C0-47BC-9C20-CDB9A7506857.jpeg

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like melted aluminum poured into an anthills hole. I’ve seen a few different attempts. You pour down the hole and than after it cools down, you carefully dig up the sculpture left over..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GSnider

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, it will not stick to a magnet & my son/ husband tried cutting it with torch with no luck. I also attempted to use a hammer to break it with no luck? It is a silvery/gold color with black on it- there are also several smaller pieces we have found all over our property along with some rocks with the same silver/gold stuff in it?
I have never heard of poring melted aluminum down any hills- interesting. Is there a way to test it to see if it is indeed aluminum? It is pretty heavy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone may have torched a car. I find them from time to time on remote roads here in Massachusetts where torching cars used to be the state pastime ):

Upvote 0

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll go with campfire nugget. The gold staining could be from other contaminants in the fire.
Here is a quite hefty one I dug...

campfire nugget.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, it will not stick to a magnet & my son/ husband tried cutting it with torch with no luck. I also attempted to use a hammer to break it with no luck? It is a silvery/gold color with black on it- there are also several smaller pieces we have found all over our property along with some rocks with the same silver/gold stuff in it?
I have never heard of poring melted aluminum down any hills- interesting. Is there a way to test it to see if it is indeed aluminum? It is pretty heavy.

"Area 51" comes to mind.

:)

Upvote 0

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you scratch it? Aluminum is soft so pressure from a key should scratch it. It you can scratch it and a magnet will not stick then it is probably Aluminum slag. I find it from time to time a home sites where cans have been thrown into the fire. Seems odd that it doesn't melt though... A propane torch should melt the aluminum in 30-40 seconds

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A metal that can't be cut with a cutting torch!? ARC must be on the right track with alien material, then!

Upvote 0

4treasures

Greenie
Dec 9, 2010
That looks a lot like slag ("trash metal") that I've found (also in Texas, in a park that used to be a WW1 training camp before soldiers were sent off). Sometimes those slag castoffs actually contained a good amount of precious metals, you might want to test it to see!

Edit: Since you are:
1. finding this all over your property
2. It didn't cut with a torch
3. You are finding similar metal in rocks on your property

I'd ABSOLUTELY test it (even just acid tests, cheap on amazon), as well as testing the minerals you can visibly see in the rocks. Heck, with those three variables, I'd probably get it assayed asap.
Good luck! Hey, what area of TX? That will be a big clue!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having not said cutting torch I'd offer this perspective. Aluminum is a terrific conductor of heat or cold. It basically resists being flame cut by wicking the heat away to the other parts
of the piece. This causes the piece to melt all at once when heated, but that takes a lot of heat.

I found an old "Guardian Ware" griddle at a scrap yard. It was originally meant to be used on a wood stove or campfire. It's 20" in diameter and 3/8" thick with heavy handles on both sides.
I bead blasted it clean and I use it for thawing frozen foods. Cuts thawing time in half, because the area of the platter that's not covered by the food is constantly trying to reach the same
temp as the part the food is touching. Best wishes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GSnider

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again - I tried scratching with a knife as well as flathead screw driver & was not successful in creating a scratch ��. I am not sure if it is the aluminum/ campfire metal or some other strange residual left from prior individuals melting items. I am in the southern part of Johnson County, close to the old Chisholm Trail (back in the day)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GSnider

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi- how would I get this assayed? I am new to this & am not sure what steps are involved with finding out who or where to take this or a smaller piece to get it assayed. Thank you

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again - I tried scratching with a knife as well as flathead screw driver & was not successful in creating a scratch ��. I am not sure if it is the aluminum/ campfire metal or some other strange residual left from prior individuals melting items. I am in the southern part of Johnson County, close to the old Chisholm Trail (back in the day)

Ok... you did not use a screwdriver with the words "Play-School" on it did you ? ? ?

IF you in fact tried HARD... and i mean above just trying... to scratch that piece... AND without doing so much as a slight scratch...

Um... you re definitely outta my category... and without joking... possibly "out of this world"... heh

The only other thing in mind would be melted stainless.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a regular metal file. Sometimes molten items can absorb particulate or even gaseous substances that may alter the
working characteristics of the metal. In example Grade S steel. High carbon steel alloyed with silicates. Makes great car
springs or one hell of a knife. It work hardens very easily, that is just the act of drilling or sawing the stuff is not easily
done without a cooling apparatus, like a water jet with soluble oil.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GSnider

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha not losers but that’s a good idea I will try taking it by the scrap yard and see if they can tell me what it might be - if they can’t figure it out then I’m lost & it could be something out of this world haha

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread