Can anyone tell if this is a authentic arrowhead or just a modern day fake one? My roomate bought a car at a auction and this was inside of it

Yolandarae

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2020
Austin texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bcde2747-2b1d-4a1a-9d20-2d5478191e3aphoto.jpeg

Attachments

• 024395ee-673d-4ae3-83c2-6e3b6d6157d5photo.jpeg
    024395ee-673d-4ae3-83c2-6e3b6d6157d5photo.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
Y

Yolandarae

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2020
Austin texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a way to tell if it's fake ? My friend said there's a guy in Georgetown that will authenticate it for me but I don't know how much it cost? Any ideas or recommendations on where to take it around the austin texas area? Also does anyone know what kind of arrowhead it is? Thanks for any info u give me! Xoxo

Attachments

• bcde2747-2b1d-4a1a-9d20-2d5478191e3aphoto.jpeg
    bcde2747-2b1d-4a1a-9d20-2d5478191e3aphoto.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 024395ee-673d-4ae3-83c2-6e3b6d6157d5photo.jpeg
    024395ee-673d-4ae3-83c2-6e3b6d6157d5photo.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 63

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there a way to tell if it's fake ? My friend said there's a guy in Georgetown that will authenticate it for me but I don't know how much it cost? Any ideas or recommendations on where to take it around the austin texas area? Also does anyone know what kind of arrowhead it is? Thanks for any info u give me! Xoxo
You need to post a picture.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threads merged.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Interesting.

I see your post and handle indicates you're in Austin Texas, is this were this was found in the auto?

It looks like NE US material to me.

there is a CSASI show in Temple Texas July 2 - 4 2023. There will be many qualified people there who could authenticate it.

If is authentic it could be worth some cash. If not, then its worth a lot less.

Its virtually impossible to authenticate a native American relic from a photo. Thats like talking to a doctor on the phone about a hurt arm and saying, "Look where I am pointing doc".

One can get a decent idea, but to be 100% sure, one needs to hold the item and inspect it using magnification tools.

OP
OP
Y

Yolandarae

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2020
Austin texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.

I see your post and handle indicates you're in Austin Texas, is this were this was found in the auto?

It looks like NE US material to me.

there is a CSASI show in Temple Texas July 2 - 4 2023. There will be many qualified people there who could authenticate it.

If is authentic it could be worth some cash. If not, then its worth a lot less.

Its virtually impossible to authenticate a native American relic from a photo. Thats like talking to a doctor on the phone about a hurt arm and saying, "Look where I am pointing doc".

One can get a decent idea, but to be 100% sure, one needs to hold the item and inspect it using magnification tools.
Thank you! I have a magnification app on my phone if that would make a difference I could take a cpl of pics using it! What exactly are you looking for when u use a magnifying glass?

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
my .02 which may or may not be helpful. It looks to me like one of the fakes you can get on ebay, shape wise. The flaking up both sides seems too symetrical, but I am far from an expert. Look for residual copper or brass under magnification and see if there are any hinge fractures , loose looking flakes with anything under them like dirt or deposits from being in the dirt.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
If you could use a microscope, look for microscopic copper traces left -IF- its modern and the maker used a copper billet to flake the point. If they used an antler billet then the scars would not have these traces. Check for mineralization nodules which form on the surface.

In Texas even though it gets hot, it also freezes and this temperature fluctuation over hundreds of years pops off the loose flakes where water gets under, freezes and pops off. While not positive indicator, it's an indicator.

Wash off any mineralization with lukewarm water and a clean white cloth. Does any dirt or mineralization which was looking like nodules get removed? Authentic mineralization will not be impacted by this, but artifically applied will come off and leave a dirty area on the white cloth.

It looks clean to me. I would expect to see some mineralization.

check these two areas
point.jpg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty cool, but the flaking looks like that on modern repros made in India. Flaking in the stem area caught my eye. It would be used for a knife probably and not an arrowhead is my guess.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not see any patina on it, if it was authentic it would be a knife, too big for arrow or spear.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I do not see any patina on it, if it was authentic it would be a knife, too big for arrow or spear.
It looks like a repo art piece to me. I may have missed something: what situation was it in when you found it? Buried, under water, swap meet, etc. If real, should have good value. It looks too good, hence my skepticism.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
It looks like a repo art piece to me. I may have missed something: what situation was it in when you found it? Buried, under water, swap meet, etc. If real, should have good value. It looks too good, hence my skepticism.
Disregard the question. I missed the car auction statement my first time through.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a mineral spring along the "Dragon". Now the Dragon is very popular to all motorcyclist
If you ride you know Hwy 129 and the curves, wrecks, plastic in trees even deaths. A lot of sports car drivers run it also. It's a trip.. Been over it a dozen times. People from all over the world come to ride the Dragon,
So, you know about the dragon, now the spring;I know of a couple guys who are nappers. They are very good at what they do. The spring I'm talking about is where they put their "modern Day" artifacts to be aged and patina put into the stones. I was told they let stuff soak from 6 months and longer.
Their hand made points and other artifacts are SO GOOD, it would fool the experts.
I think they are both gone to the light, But! their clan was SO MEAN and Ruthless that the Cherokee kick them out of the Nation.
These 2 brothers only wore shoes when they were summoned to a court.
Some on here may know them, rest in peace.
Last of the Mountain Men of E TN. Glad I got to know them.

ddafternoons

Feb 18, 2023
Don't know if this question has been answered. I know it's a dated thread. But, that is a monster spear head. I don't think, in my unprofessional opinion, it's real. It's just so perfect and the size is a little too big for a real weapon, unless they are using it to bring down a Mastadon, lol. Also, it'd be awful hard to chuck any distance. But, again, just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread