Can find specific name on this.

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
My daughter and I found this in our wood shed digging for bottles one day, and can't seem to track it down. Thanks for any info or thoughts IMG_20220912_203049_DRO.jpg IMG_20220912_203124_DRO.jpg here it is cleaned up and under a magnifying glass

Attachments

• IMG_20220822_231833_DRO.jpg
    IMG_20220822_231833_DRO.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it light weight ? Heavy? Is it metal/magnetic? It looks like a chunk of Anthracite Coal
from your picture. Hopefully some experts here can identify it for you

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May be a sepentine specimen. Does it feel kind of greasy? A couple of possibilities. One member of the serpentine group is chrysolite, a fibrous mineral used to make asbestos.

serpentine.jpg Click on this one to enlarge.

serpentine2.jpg
serpentine4.jpg

I think you have a different form of serpentine, antigorite.

antigorite.jpg
antigorite2.jpg
antigorite3.jpg

Less fibrous, still dangerous if particles or fibers are inhaled. So, if you determine it may be serpentine, try not to rub, scrape or cut, so as not to release particles.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a chunk of wood from a fire.....but if it were, you would have bits crumbling off as you cleaned it and your hands would be blackened. Is it heavy and solid or lightweight ? Does it float in water?

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
My daughter and I found this in our wood shed digging for bottles one day, and can't seem to track it down. Thanks for any info or thoughts

Looks like a chunk of wood from a fire.....but if it were, you would have bits crumbling off as you cleaned it and your hands would be blackened. Is it heavy and solid or lightweight ? Does it float in water?
It does not crumble and weighs 2 oz, it's solid and don't float. It's layered and not pulling apart.

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
May be a sepentine specimen. Does it feel kind of greasy? A couple of possibilities. One member of the serpentine group is chrysolite, a fibrous mineral used to make asbestos.

View attachment 2045929 Click on this one to enlarge.

View attachment 2045930 View attachment 2045931

I think you have a different form of serpentine, antigorite.

View attachment 2045932 View attachment 2045933 View attachment 2045934

Less fibrous, still dangerous if particles or fibers are inhaled. So, if you determine it may be serpentine, try not to rub, scrape or cut, so as not to release particles.
It does not feel greasy, it's very course. Kinda layered, it looks to have crystal or silver. I will post a pic

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those pics make it look like it's covered in soot. My suggesting serpentine was because of the columnar crystal growth habit. Does it have an odor?

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
Those pics make it look like it's covered in soot. My suggesting serpentine was because of the columnar crystal growth habit. Does it have an odor?
No odor, it's 2 ounces in weight 2in in length and 1.5 in in width. It has nothing coming off, I had a rockhound friend take a look and he said to scrub it. It is hard enough we can't break it by twisting it, and scratch test came out with no color just scratching caramic. Thank u for reply any suggestions would be great,

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when we find rocks will be good indicate the approximate location so we have a geological idea of the rocks in the area.

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
when we find rocks will be good indicate the approximate location so we have a geological idea of the rocks in the area.
I found the rock in Idaho city Idaho, in our woodshed just above town. Daughter and I were digging for old bottles and this came up on us.

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
Hello everyone, I appreciate all your info and thoughts on this beautiful stone. I apologize I have not returned anything lately. We still do not know what it is, it does not float , it is heavy and I found it where I have been finding lignite on my property. Also know as jet, a simi prescious gemstone. The property has had multiple fires in 1800's during mining era. Iv had many people look and still no answer. Thanks for all your time and replies hope someone can figure it out.

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
Is it light weight ? Heavy? Is it metal/magnetic? It looks like a chunk of Anthracite Coal
from your picture. Hopefully some experts here can identify it for you
Hello , I wanted to say thank you for your thoughts on my tread. The reason I am responding to you personally is because you brought up coal... Well ironically we found a layer of jet or lignite coal on our property in the same area we found this stone. It is much harder and pronounced then the jet but interesting you said that. We don't know what the stone is still but, is it possible it's coal being it's near the lignite layer. ? I can't thank you enough for reply. I don't know much about coal, all my readings I do explain little about it .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread