Can I tag along?? Dallas / Denton / Richardson area

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone. I just moved to Texas from Williamsport, Pa for a job down here (Software Developer). I don't know a single thing about this area and I am looking for some folks who wouldn't mind me tagging along and doing some detecting with them until I get the hang of this area. I don't want to break any laws.. and I especially don't want to got robbed in what turns out to be a bad neighborhood. I am planning on joining a group and participating in some club hunts, but until then I wouldn't mind learning the area from a seasoned Texas hunter.

I have my own gear/transportation and I don't mind doing the driving, but I have no clue where to go.

I appreciate it!

Jeremiah

(Also, I use a Nokta Impact and you're welcomed try it if you want)

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hey everyone. I just moved to Texas from Williamsport, Pa for a job down here (Software Developer). I don't know a single thing about this area and I am looking for some folks who wouldn't mind me tagging along and doing some detecting with them until I get the hang of this area. I don't want to break any laws.. and I especially don't want to got robbed in what turns out to be a bad neighborhood. I am planning on joining a group and participating in some club hunts, but until then I wouldn't mind learning the area from a seasoned Texas hunter.

I have my own gear/transportation and I don't mind doing the driving, but I have no clue where to go.

I appreciate it!

Jeremiah

(Also, I use a Nokta Impact and you're welcomed try it if you want)

A friend and I were run out of a Dallas park by a cop, and the cop stated that it was illegal to detect and dig in ANY Dallas County park. My buddy showed his Lesche digger, and the cop's response was, "If I let you use that, then next thing I know you will bring a backhoe!"

Since he took all of our personal info and identification, stating we were given an "official warning" this time, but next time..." I haven't gone back to Dallas. JM2C

OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend and I were run out of a Dallas park by a cop, and the cop stated that it was illegal to detect and dig in ANY Dallas County park. My buddy showed his Lesche digger, and the cop's response was, "If I let you use that, then next thing I know you will bring a backhoe!"

Since he took all of our personal info and identification, stating we were given an "official warning" this time, but next time..." I haven't gone back to Dallas. JM2C

Wow... that's disconcerting. What's baffling is that Garret is headquartered in Dallas County 15 minutes down the road from me. I will have to make some phone calls on Monday to confirm the legality of detecting in public parks. It sounds like this police officer was trying to flaunt power he/she didn't actually have.

"If I let you use that, then next thing I know you will bring a backhoe!" -- It's not up to him/her to "let" you use or not use something. It's up to the law, and on Monday I'll confirm what that law actually is.

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McKinney_5900 & JeremiahEdward, did you go check the metal detecting rules for the city before you hit the park? Just curious...a lot of people assume that its alright and do not take the time to check the local laws before going out and digging holes.

I found this on City of Dallas public website under the Department for Park & Recreation ~ Park Rules & Ordinances

SEC. 32-3. INJURY TO TREES, SHRUBS, FENCES, ETC.
It shall be unlawful for any person to cut, break, deface or in any way injure the trees, shrubs, plants, grass, turf, fountains, seats,
fences, structures, improvements, ornaments or monuments or property, within or upon any of the public parks. (Ord. 8019)

SEC. 32-11. PROMULGATION AND POSTING OF RULES AND REGULATIONS.
The park board shall adopt such rules and regulations as it deems best for the management of the public parks and where such rules
have been adopted for a specific park area and posted within the specific park so regulated, any person found guilty of violating such
rules is guilty of an offense. (Ord. Nos. 8019; 19963)

As far as I can tell they can enforce it even under the noise ordinance as well...I think the only way you can actually do it legally is to get the department to issue you a special permit for that specific activity at a specific day and time. Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still waiting on a call back from the county. But, if what you discovered is true, I guess I have a metal detector for sale...

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
McKinney_5900 & JeremiahEdward, did you go check the metal detecting rules for the city before you hit the park? Just curious...a lot of people assume that its alright and do not take the time to check the local laws before going out and digging holes.

I found this on City of Dallas public website under the Department for Park & Recreation ~ Park Rules & Ordinances

SEC. 32-3. INJURY TO TREES, SHRUBS, FENCES, ETC.
It shall be unlawful for any person to cut, break, deface or in any way injure the trees, shrubs, plants, grass, turf, fountains, seats,
fences, structures, improvements, ornaments or monuments or property, within or upon any of the public parks. (Ord. 8019)

SEC. 32-11. PROMULGATION AND POSTING OF RULES AND REGULATIONS.
The park board shall adopt such rules and regulations as it deems best for the management of the public parks and where such rules
have been adopted for a specific park area and posted within the specific park so regulated, any person found guilty of violating such
rules is guilty of an offense. (Ord. Nos. 8019; 19963)

As far as I can tell they can enforce it even under the noise ordinance as well...I think the only way you can actually do it legally is to get the department to issue you a special permit for that specific activity at a specific day and time. Good Luck!

I've studied many cities regs, and all have these wordings about defacing, including grass. McKinney has it in the ordinance, yet I have hunted hundreds of hours in my parks. Park officials chat about whether I've found something, a policeman even asked for advice for getting their son a detector for a gift. Nice encounter.

If you go totally by the "no defacing" shrubs, GRASS, etc", then it's likely that you won't metal detect in a public park ever again, anywhere.

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McKinney_5900, I reread it again and it appears to be saying if its not a posted rule than its not enforceable...which may mean if given a citation you would have to still go to court to get it dropped by the judge.

JeremiahEdward, there are plenty of places you can MD in the area...there are still rules and regulations but you can detect at any ACoE lake/reservoir...my advice is just do the research first before you go out. There is a yearly pass that you can buy for $40.00 that allows you into all the maintained ACoE parks/beaches nationwide, so you do not have to purchase day passes that usually runs $5.00. I use my pass for fishing, metal detecting, hiking, geocaching, etc.

Last edited:

Highstick

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm...As a lifelong Dallas resident - Who knew we had parks?!! I thought it was all banks and insurance companies.
Sorry you had the experience & thanks for the warning!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd Comments about Dallas Parks...Ive hunted them several times with no issue from the Police. Thou I typically hit parks in bad areas, so Im the least of anyones problems.

Hit me up if you are still looking for some advise on the areas around here. I mainly hunt in the Fort Worth area and can tell you about some spots you may want to have a buddie with ya

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problems hunting parks in the city of Dallas. There was a misunderstanding for a bit from some new employees but that has been corrected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread