Can metal detectors differentiate between gold nuggets and gold-plated jewelry?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, the best models can't tell gold from lead or gold rings from aluminum pull tabs. Gold jewelry makes various tonal and VID numbers due to the huge varieties of alloy we use for gold jewelry. Natural gold nuggets also have differences in the metals they are naturally alloyed with, nuggets are not .999 gold. Detectors will see the ring more for the metal it is made of than the gold plating so they may be able to tell some plated rings from nuggets, but likely not all of them. Even folks who use 7,000 dollar Minelabs to find gold nuggets dig a lot of lead shotgun pellets and bullets. If a ring is gold plated sterling silver it will sound closer to silver than gold. Metal detectors measure the electrical conductivity of metal objects so various objects with similar conductive properties will read the same which is why a huge beer can might read the same as a silver dollar.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heck, the best models can't tell gold from lead or gold rings from aluminum pull tabs. Gold jewelry makes various tonal and VID numbers due to the huge varieties of alloy we use for gold jewelry. Natural gold nuggets also have differences in the metals they are naturally alloyed with, nuggets are not .999 gold. Detectors will see the ring more for the metal it is made of than the gold plating so they may be able to tell some plated rings from nuggets, but likely not all of them. Even folks who use 7,000 dollar Minelabs to find gold nuggets dig a lot of lead shotgun pellets and bullets. If a ring is gold plated sterling silver it will sound closer to silver than gold. Metal detectors measure the electrical conductivity of metal objects so various objects with similar conductive properties will read the same which is why a huge beer can might read the same as a silver dollar.

Nice response, good explanation to help with the understanding of the limitations of a metal detector in response to the question.

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi firebird,
One other item to add though you did not ask about it, depending on where a person is detecting the ground will effect what the machine can read and overhead electric lines will also degrade the signals coming from some machines.

Ground in cities 'tend ' to have a lower mineral content (metal salts) than the ground out around streams and mountains. Power lines are usually found in cities so city machines need to be able to counter the "electrical field" around power lines. Out in the 'hills' ground minerals and 'hot rocks' (strong mineral content) are what the machines need to be able to handle or at least tell you what your machine is beeping at.

Dry sand and wet sand at beaches and at oceans require some additional electronics in the detector especially for the salt in oceans and on ocean beaches.

So the buyer of a machine must consider where they will use the machine most and purchase a machine that is generally good for the area you will detect in most often. There some machines that cross-over from city detecting to beaches and mountains and some work well as a combination machines.

I tend to have one machine for the city and one for the mountains and I do not detect at the ocean. I suspect there will be a variety of replies to my comment and hope so as it could be helpful for you to have them. Detecting takes time to learn the machine and after a while of using a machine you likely will decide you need to have accessories: different coils, pin pointer, digging tools, headphones, a belt pouch to hold junk and good targets and more as you find out about new items..........63bkpkr

PS - you've asked a good question

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERY well said, Gunsil! TTC

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“Gold plated sterling.....” AWESOME you should use that example because last year in Milwaukee I found a HONKER gold ring that I was very pumped about...my buddy saw it shine from 50 yards away,no kidding! But wait...I was only digging high conductors,and it rang like a silver quarter! Uh-oh....inside it said .925...and it would’ve fooled ANYONE into thinking it was solid gold. BUT....the CTX saw it for what it was...SOLID 12-48 VDI....SILVER!
Interesting question going on here...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread