Can metal detectors find usb thumb drives and if so what would be the best settings?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put a thumb drive in a tupperware type of container with a lid and my E-Trac picks it up just fine. The display shows a ferrous number of 35 which is similar to an iron nail. I put an older thumb drive in the container and it displayed a ferrous number of 12 so depending on the thumbdrive, you should be able to detect it. As others have said, use no discrimination and dig any and every signal. The way the thumbdive is oriented in the container will also affect the reading. Good luck!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
What I am interested in knowing is whether usb sticks can actually be detected if buried in this fashion? or is the plastic likely to prove too much of barrier. Also would I need a souped up detector to pick this up? failing this, are there any other type of probing/surveying devices (not a metal detector) that could help? thanks
What I am interested in knowing is whether usb sticks can actually be detected if buried in this fashion?

Yes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread