Can metal detectors find usb thumb drives and if so what would be the best settings?

anyname123

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2022
Really need someone's help if possible on this... I have been desperately searching for some buried USB sticks and efforts using pinpointers and standard detectors have not worked. The first question is, can USB drives be detected in the first place if they are buried between 6 and 12 inches in soil, but first placed inside plastic wrap, plastic food containers, and bags and sealed with duct tape? The circuitry of the drives would also be inside the plastic casing of the drive. Second question - if they can be detected, what kind of detector should I use and more importantly, what settings should I use on the detector? I have tried using a Fisher F75 (which I believe is a pretty good one?), but I am a complete beginner. Much appreciate any help on this! Btw I dont know the make of the USB drives or what metals they might be made up of.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you know approximately where they are buried?
The number will determine the signal strength.
The stainless eeend will be largest source of material. The the pc board inside. Go all metal mode, no discrimination.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two fine members above gave you excellent suggestions. Especially get a thumb drive just like the ones buried and see what your detector reads.

I am not even going to ask why someone would bury them in the first place. That is very odd. And are they yours to find.

Anyway, if you know the general area and the ground is such as to permit it, you might try probing for them. Check some videos online on probing for relics.

OP
OP
A

anyname123

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2022
The two fine members above gave you excellent suggestions. Especially get a thumb drive just like the ones buried and see what your detector reads.

I am not even going to ask why someone would bury them in the first place. That is very odd. And are they yours to find.

Anyway, if you know the general area and the ground is such as to permit it, you might try probing for them. Check some videos online on probing for relics.
What I am interested in knowing is whether usb sticks can actually be detected if buried in this fashion? or is the plastic likely to prove too much of barrier. Also would I need a souped up detector to pick this up? failing this, are there any other type of probing/surveying devices (not a metal detector) that could help? thanks

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I am interested in knowing is whether usb sticks can actually be detected if buried in this fashion? or is the plastic likely to prove too much of barrier. Also would I need a souped up detector to pick this up? failing this, are there any other type of probing/surveying devices (not a metal detector) that could help? thanks
Best thing to do is ask the person that buried them where they are

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
A Fisher F75 should find it. You have to dig everything in the nail to foil range. Like another posted you have to use a similar object/s as reference for your target.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really need someone's help if possible on this... I have been desperately searching for some buried USB sticks and efforts using pinpointers and standard detectors have not worked. The first question is, can USB drives be detected in the first place if they are buried between 6 and 12 inches in soil, but first placed inside plastic wrap, plastic food containers, and bags and sealed with duct tape? The circuitry of the drives would also be inside the plastic casing of the drive. Second question - if they can be detected, what kind of detector should I use and more importantly, what settings should I use on the detector? I have tried using a Fisher F75 (which I believe is a pretty good one?), but I am a complete beginner. Much appreciate any help on this! Btw I dont know the make of the USB drives or what metals they might be made up of
.where are you lookikng town an sd state. Maybe someone near you might be able tol help Possibly even the ringfinders

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a location size of 15 m2 where I know it has been buried. I think I tried the all metal mode and nothing came up
So 161 Sq ft.
Probing that amount of soil isn't too big.
Disturbed soils will have less resistance.
Probing 12 inches isn't fun though if heavy clay. If it's rocky then that option isn't great.
Any machine with a large coil will pick it up no problem.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
can a detector probe through rocks? or just not very well?thanks
I wasn't referring to a detector. Research bottle probing.
T shape item 2 1/2' long handle, connected to a steel rod. Push, pull back out, move a few inches push the probe back in.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks - yes I might try ringfinders. But wanted to establish if it was possible first. It doesnt sound like anyone has experience of discovering thumb drives!
I have found pieces of circuit boards, chips, before doing urban hunting.
Shouldn't be a hard thing to do. Your search area is almost diggable in a day.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
thanks - that's useful to know
Do you have the 5" DD coil available for that F75? It would be more sensitive to smaller targets, but you loose some depth.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what size coil do you have on it ?

if you have a small coil, it will only (generally speaking) detect to that depth... if you can get a friend with a larger coil it would be helpful

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks - yes I might try ringfinders. But wanted to establish if it was possible first. It doesnt sound like anyone has experience of discovering thumb drives!
I had a sd card slip out of my fingers after i had taken it out of a drone. I had a heck of a time in the tall grass but i did find it :)Running a Deus 1 wide open and a pinpointer also
GOOD LUCK where is it located ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just general location town and state if in the us ?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As mentioned , get an estimated (yes you stated you don't know what kind) drive to test your detector on. Bury it where you have it marked. Find it.
Consider then , having someone bury it without you looking. Now find it.

Multiple drives up your odds. The plastic should not have any effect.

A recent burying will likely be evident with close scrutiny.
I blend the ground surface . Even do my best to avoid any different color of surrounding area and carefully place debris from the area just right to blend it.
Someone in a hurry or not familier with blending in may have left a disturbed or bald spot.
And IF they had intention of being able to recover the buried item(s) , put yourself in thier shoes. How could it be marked or located on the site you believe it exists on? There are many ways. Start with easiest. An existing marker, stump or large rock. A corner.

And if you were trying to avoid an item being recovered with a metal detector , how would you do so? By depth? By placing can sized or larger metal object(s) above and or near it?
By burying under a metal fence? Under a powerline? Under the previously mentioned stump from an angle? Under the edge of some concrete?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread