Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Microsoft.
As of January 14, 2020, your computer running Windows 7 will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:

Technical support for any issues
Software updates
Security updates or fixes

While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended.

Yes Microsoft wants you to update to the newest operating system... but Windows 7 on the internet will cause security issues.
Thank you Microsuck!!
...... But this still does not explain Why the problem is ONLY on this site.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be a setting in your browser that automatically accepts cookies, and then the warning is telling you about the effects of the cookies that you automatically accept. In Firefox you can change these things by going to settings/privacy & security.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the secure part...TNET does not provide an encrypted connection. TNET justs needs to ask their host to update the SSL certificate.

Permissions , depending on your browser, involve allowing popups (ie the images window), redirects, and notifications

Windows 7...how is anything running on windows 7 these daze???

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten this for sometime now.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 47

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten this for sometime now.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 37

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Addressed this several times, TNet is not transmitting any financial data, nothing transmitted here requires https, on top of that how many websites running HTTPS are compromised, it happens quite often.

TreasureNet will also be moving to new software in the coming months.

Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I open this site in the Brave browser on an iMac. Never any problems, I don't accept popups on any site, but the only thing that seems to effect here is private messages, which can be looked at in the browser itself.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The https protocol is an encrypted version of http and, although it was originally intended to protect passwords, payments and other sensitive data, it affords a higher degree of privacy for your web-browsing activity in general

In the USA (but not in Europe, unless you have actively consented), your Internet service provider and others are allowed to monitor your web browsing history and sell it to advertisers. With https they can’t (readily) see as much. Only that you’re connecting to a particular website, as opposed to individual pages within it and the pages cannot be injected with advertisements and other pop-ups targeted at you as an individual.

With http, even if you use an ad-blocker, it doesn’t prevent your browsing history being monitored or sold on, and it’s much more difficult to reject cookies that track you for advertising and other purposes.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When it comes to the tech business of sharing with other customers that have been deemed associated with the site(s).
One has to read the accept terms.
To play we pay with our privacy.
My personal email has a privacy policy accept/edit term that pops up more and more as it is out of the EU.
I counted the 258 "family" sharing data companies.
Now how many do they share with?
And we now have a virus the spreads in real life.
The tech world has this as well.
Mining our information is the new world-but it's getting old to many.
I only have to cluck on Google images of something to gleam what someone posted on TN.
So now it is in public domain to be mined over and over.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, there's no such thing as a 'free lunch' any more.

Being in Europe, I frequently get messages like this one when trying to connect to US websites:

Image4.jpg

Although the UK is no longer part of the EU, we still have the European regulations for Data Protection on our statute books (laws which America doesn't have, but which they still need to be mindful of when engaging with European citizens).

Usually, what the blurb about eagerness to become technically compliant and the degree to which they value European users really means is: if you're American, we're selling your data to advertisers, but if you're European we aren't allowed to without your permission, and we can't be bothered to put a protocol in place to meet our legal obligations. Tnet (recently) did put a protocol in place (or at least its advertising partners did). About once a month, I see a pop-up inviting me to opt in to sharing my data because my IP is detected as from Europe. I reject it... but if you have an American IP you're opted in by default.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread