Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Are you looking for the name of a vessel you have found or are you looking for the names of vessels in the area of your search? The answer to your Q. will also depend on part of an ocean, sea or large lake you have an interest in.
Don.

OP
OP
B
Dec 3, 2022
Are you looking for the name of a vessel you have found or are you looking for the names of vessels in the area of your search? The answer to your Q. will also depend on part of an ocean, sea or large lake you have an interest in.
Don.
Mostly somewhere to start. Somewhere I can find the name of a ship, look up it's route, and begin searching that area using what techniques I already know.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mostly somewhere to start. Somewhere I can find the name of a ship, look up it's route, and begin searching that area using what techniques I already know.
The question is where do you want to look?
There's more ship wrecks than one could imagine.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A rough estimate by the United Nations shows at least 3 million shipwrecks are lying across ocean floors.
An estimated 6,000 vessels were lost on the Great Lakes with approximately 1,500 of these ships located in Michigan waters.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
A rough estimate by the United Nations shows at least 3 million shipwrecks are lying across ocean floors.
An estimated 6,000 vessels were lost on the Great Lakes with approximately 1,500 of these ships located in Michigan waters.
The 3 million number is great for general salvage purposes. But how many of that 3 million were known, or suspected of carrying gold/silver/precious metals, jewels, or other valuable treasure? And at the risk of getting too deep in the weeds, how many shipwrecks in the treasure group are say, within the last hundred years or so? For that matter, how many of the 3 million are in any way, shape or form worth salvaging in a way that would at least break even on the books?

OP
OP
B
Dec 3, 2022
Woah that's awesome 👍 thanks for that info.
Woah, that's incredible. Ummm, anywhere to look, I'm mostly interested the history and challenge of finding one someday. I'm just trying to figure out where to start in the daunting task of shipwreck recovery from someone who has knowledge and/or experience in that arena.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you really get involved, remember this acronym: CREPPT (sounds like 'crept') and stands for the items you will need for actual shipwreck search and salvage:
C: Capital ($)
R: Research
E. Equipment
P. Personnel (crew and lawyer, for starters)
P. Permits (including contracts with others; like NDAs)
T. Target
Don....

PTid

Nov 2, 2021
Just curious is there like a log book or record book with names of ships that have gone missing or will I have to keep using sonar data on the internet to find shipwrecks without knowing the names of them ?
If you're serious about getting into the "Shipwreck" business I can provide some assistance. But first, decide where your interest is most desirable, i.e., wooden sailing vessels or modern era, i.e., WWI and WWII, as an example. Choose precious metals or strategic metals, copper, rare earth, etc. Ask yourself if you have the discipline to stick with it... because it matters. I will be making available thousand of pages of research. Mostly modern, but some 15th through 17th century wrecks. As an example I-52 and ULTRA Intelligence (broken German and Japanese codes) research alone is +/- 5,000 pages. I'll throw in a WWII Japanese shipwreck with 600 gold bars, which you or someone else take it from there.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll give you a good tip. Six of the 11 ships of the 1715 fleet have not been found. It is believed that they are located further offshore (5 to 10 miles) off the east coast of Florida. There is a wealth of research available online.

OP
OP
B
Dec 3, 2022
I'll give you a good tip. Six of the 11 ships of the 1715 fleet have not been found. It is believed that they are located further offshore (5 to 10 miles) off the east coast of Florida. There is a wealth of research available online.
Cool thanks.

OP
OP
B
Dec 3, 2022
If you're serious about getting into the "Shipwreck" business I can provide some assistance. But first, decide where your interest is most desirable, i.e., wooden sailing vessels or modern era, i.e., WWI and WWII, as an example. Choose precious metals or strategic metals, copper, rare earth, etc. Ask yourself if you have the discipline to stick with it... because it matters. I will be making available thousand of pages of research. Mostly modern, but some 15th through 17th century wrecks. As an example I-52 and ULTRA Intelligence (broken German and Japanese codes) research alone is +/- 5,000 pages. I'll throw in a WWII Japanese shipwreck with 600 gold bars, which you or someone else take it from there.
Woah yes absolutely. I have the discipline to study, I lack the funds to search yet but I am very young still. I have full intentions of locating and excavating old shipwrecks at some point, but mostly interested in knowing things that others don't. No interest in sharing my knowledge with the general public btw, just for me and a select few. You're research would be safe with me.

Desoto

Dec 25, 2022
Siloam Springs
Woah yes absolutely. I have the discipline to study, I lack the funds to search yet but I am very young still. I have full intentions of locating and excavating old shipwrecks at some point, but mostly interested in knowing things that others don't. No interest in sharing my knowledge with the general public btw, just for me and a select few. You're research would be safe with me.
Hey switched phones but this is black jack Ketchum here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread