Can you suggest what's the appropriate for hunting a coyote?

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roadrunner.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From a new member here on this treasure hunting forum, that's a curious first comment or question. No doubt though, many will volunteer their opinions.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
.223 is more than adequate. Hell even a .22 will work fine if you are not too far away and a decent shot

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 25-06 will reach out there and smoke-um.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hot loaded .223 with a ballistic tip. A friend uses a hot .17 fireball. Tiny hole doesn't damage the pelt but completely destroys the insides.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Need to buy a rifle to hunt a coyote.

You mean a canine coyote , right?
Know local law regarding license required ,if any. As well as any hunter safety requirements. And safety zones near occupied buildings if they exist .

Your set up /location will determine what you need.
A shotgun will work on some sites.

Where pelts are prime (a limited window) and you would put them to use a smaller caliber usually gets the nod. .204 , .223 , 22-250 , and there are others.
If not wanting hides being a priority , you have many more options.

What rifle(s) do you own now?
Will you be calling coyotes?
Will you be shooting them at night?

No sense buying a rifle for one coyote. Invite experienced coyote hunters to do the work. If you blow it , a coyote just becomes more educated.

For more effective coyote control , get a trapper.
Coyotes though respond to successful persecution by creating more coyotes.

The reason you feel a need for a coyote rifle may have other angles to work for when you are not around but a coyote or coyotes is/are around.

I'm all for rifles , don't get me wrong. But a dedicated coyote rifle vs a more utilitarian rifle can chance spendthrift.
If you have a long range proposition and do not hunt other critters with experience , it will require range/target practice time... and study of coyote behavior.
Seeing one regular does not mean it will be a cinch to shoot it. And it may indicate multiple coyotes in your locale.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a single shot .223 T/C Contender carbine and it does well out to 350 yards. It is light (5.5#) and tiny and unassuming - smaller than a .22 LR for the most part. Mines 1:12" twist so 52 to 55 gr bullets are called for. And excellent for the job. We used to raise sheep and still have chickens. This little gem has been a ideal varmint defense.

DSCN1025.JPG

My deer rifle is a .260 Rem and with 130 gr bullets I wouldn't hesitate a second to reach out 600 yards on a coyote with a good rest - even with the light barrel. 6.5 Creedmoor is more popular (introduced 20 years later) and almost as good. If you don't reload - go with the Creedmoor. More choices. In a heavy barrel you can find all sorts of YouTube videos where guys reach out 1,200 yards on coyotes with the .260 Rem. It's a terrific medium-to-large game caliber and I love mine. I have a Savage M11 but in a Boyd's lightweight thumbhole stock with aluminum pillars and glass bedded. Even with the light barrel the holes from the first three shots can be completely covered with a dime at 100 yards when I do my part.

20180916_160759.jpg

Last edited:

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored a Marlin model 120 years ago with an old Weaver scope. It's never let me down. $50.00 at a garage sale. Let us know what your situation is. Lot's of livestock here. Cattle, goat's, chicken's and barn cat's that never shut up.(Secretly wants the coyote's to get the cats.) But here's what it looks like. https://www.gunauction.com/buy/9785237

Last edited:

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I preffer the Ruger mini-14. Only my opinion, but for versatility and lethal use it is more than adequate.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my Ruger M-77 .223. Good out to 250 yds., which is about my longest shots around here. Works for me. Gary

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about anything will do the job if you're a fair shot and there have been some good suggestions here. I've got chickens, and there is a substantial population around us that have been problematic for some time. I've killed them with a Marlin 39A .22, but where I live, the wind is often fairly strong and gusty so a light round is not good on many days at any distance over 75 yards. How far do you need to go to reach out and touch them? From now on, I'm going to use either my Marlin 336 30-30 or Ruger M77 in .243, but due to my surroundings, I won't be going for anything over 300 yards.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50 BMG, This way almost counts just like in horseshoes and hand grenades.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
My old Norinco SKS with Wolf hollow points works pretty well.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread