Canning

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks. My first post in this sub-forum. Curious if any of you folks are well versed in canning. I bought a pressure canner and ran my first batch of 4-quarts of raw pork shoulder. Added lots of onions, some potatoes, a few carrots, a few garlic cloves, a spoon of salt (thinking this may be too much), some all spice, paprika, and ground pepper. Unsure what’s going to come out at the end.

Any good recipes folks want to share?

I’m torn between just canning raw unseasoned meat and adding seasonings.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I don’t can meat, but have eaten a lot of it. I’d do some each way. The unseasoned can be seasoned when it is warmed up, added to stew etc. I personally believe that meat benefits from salt and pepper as long as it isn’t over-salted. You can always add to it later, but removing flavors, once added, is nearly impossible. Good luck!🍀

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t can meat, but have eaten a lot of it. I’d do some each way. The unseasoned can be seasoned when it is warmed up, added to stew etc. I personally believe that meat benefits from salt and pepper as long as it isn’t over-salted. You can always add to it later, but removing flavors, once added, is nearly impossible. Good luck!🍀
Thanks! I tested out my first batch last night and although it was slightly over salted it was very good over rice. Definitely will be adding much less seasonings as my house still smells of Allspice.

It’s much better than any canned meat I’ve ever purchased.

I’ve got a freezer full of beef, but looking towards a preservation method that is less reliant on power.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Thanks! I tested out my first batch last night and although it was slightly over salted it was very good over rice. Definitely will be adding much less seasonings as my house still smells of Allspice.

I’ve got a freezer full of beef, but looking towards a preservation method that is less reliant on power.
We use bay/laurel leaves in a lot of meat dishes. It is subtle, but adds a good background flavor.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good for you on your first attempt at canning.
It's all good, and can be tweaked the next time.
We seem to gravitate to the freezer, and it grinds away at the back of the mind what if this is that happens.
Where's the beef?
20210408_185425.jpg
20210408_185416.jpg
20210408_185449.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hard to find the bottom. 😊
Maps, rotation is required. Eat by calendar date on packaging.
We sold off a good portion of the beef to recoup the investment, kept enough to keep us in meat for a good while.
We have 5 chest freezers (1 for the pets and chickens)

Though canning has to become a part of the plan as well
We do a lot of fruit/berries as well that a good portion can be canned.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Maps, rotation is required. Eat by calendar date on packaging.
We sold off a good portion of the beef to recoup the investment, kept enough to keep us in meat for a good while.
We have 5 chest freezers (1 for the pets and chickens)

Though canning has to become a part of the plan as well
We do a lot of fruit/berries as well that a good portion can be canned.
We lost a freezer this year. I caught it making a weird noise and got all meat out while still frozen. 🍀 normally we have about 10 gallons of black raspberries to freeze every June. I need to get it fixed or replaced.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We lost a freezer this year. I caught it making a weird noise and got all meat out while still frozen. 🍀 normally we have about 10 gallons of black raspberries to freeze every June. I need to get it fixed or replaced.
It seems that the repair process is gone now.
Just replace, especially if the compressor is involved.
Wish we had more wild black raspberries.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that the repair process is gone now.
Just replace, especially if the compressor is involved.
Wish we had more wild black raspberries.
It’s actually quite easy to diagnose most freezer problems if your mechanically inclined. Mine is indoors so I check on it routinely. Even if it fails, I have 3-4 days to catch it before things start thawing and there is an alarm. If you have WiFii, you can get a wireless temperature gauge that will also notify you if the temps change based on your settings.

In my area the raspberries explode after wildfires. Bears love them!

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
414327E9-3C76-4608-80AA-6FE1653C10BE.jpeg
We use bay/laurel leaves in a lot of meat dishes. It is subtle, but adds a good background flavor.
Ok figured out Mountain Laurel leaves are poisonous. I now remember they will kill goats too (at least make them ill). Glad I searched that one! The blooms sure smell fantastic. Put that smell in a jar and you would have a best selling perfume.

bucksport

Oct 26, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
White’s Classic ID, SL III, SL II, coinmaster classic III, Treasure Master. Land Ranger Pro, Time Ranger, Tracker IV, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can a lot of things. Even invented a good flat opener that I 3d print. I am a member of a few facebook groups. Lots of great recipes out there.
Burrito in a jar is a favorite.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can a lot of things. Even invented a good flat opener that I 3d print. I am a member of a few facebook groups. Lots of great recipes out there.
Burrito in a jar is a favorite.
Mind sharing that burrito in a jar recipe?

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grow and can, butcher my own.

Attachments

• IMGP9009.JPG
    IMGP9009.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMGP8860 (1).JPG
    IMGP8860 (1).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMGP8379.JPG
    IMGP8379.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMGP6320.JPG
    IMGP6320.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMGP5144.JPG
    IMGP5144.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Ok figured out Mountain Laurel leaves are poisonous. I now remember they will kill goats too (at least make them ill). Glad I searched that one! The blooms sure smell fantastic. Put that smell in a jar and you would have a best selling perfume.
Wow, I never heard of those. These bay laurel leaves are what I buy for cooking. (This courtesy of wiki).

Attachments

• F176F25D-E896-4EA6-9B18-74C76E6F811D.jpeg
    F176F25D-E896-4EA6-9B18-74C76E6F811D.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread